Help! My amps are too loud!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Redraider66, Nov 30, 2019.

1. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Your amps aren't too loud ... You just need a bigger room ...

Redraider66 and Owenmoney like this.
  2. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i can't believe you can't make the x2 or valvestate work for you. pretty good low volume amps.if that is truly the case i would say one of the small yamahas. good luck!

Tim S and Redraider66 like this.
  3. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

The Traveling Ones of Nashville, Tennessee, had the same problem... Justin plays slide guitar on an SG and his wife plays acoustic guitar, and he was constantly too loud. He "needed something that could break up naturally and be played at low volume."

He got it.

Redraider66 likes this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

PS: if the concern is “break up naturally at low levels”, forget about it.
    A) 5W all-tube, cranked, is already way too loud for home
    B) The pushed speaker moving air is part of the “natural break-up” sound you usually think of… so that huge sounds you hear on records requires a level volume that is beyond what you wanna do at home and a .5W amp cranked is not gonna help.

You’re better off with something having a master volume. Take your SCX2, select the Deluxe Reverb model, put volume and gain on 10, adjust tone as desired, then select the right volume on the Master. Aaaaah. My THR10C, with due respect to it and its admirers, never sounded as good as that. It’s a very convenient travel amp, but IMHO the SCX2 is a better amp all around.

Redraider66 likes this.
  5. Redraider66

Redraider66 TDPRI Member

Have a ton of pedals

6. Redraider66

Redraider66 TDPRI Member

If my X2 had a headphone out and cut off the amp volume it might be perfect.

7. Redraider66

Redraider66 TDPRI Member

If my X2 had a headphone jack and cut off the speaker it would be about perfect.

8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 drip-edge silverface twin reverb in my living room - bought new that year. Pulled out 2 power tubes and run it on approx 3 mostly clean.

Guitar volume knob way backed-off and use a pedal for OD. Always have the guitar volume and tone backed-off even on gigs with different amp turned way up.

If you have a decent tube amp use your guitar volume control IMO rather than buying and selling amps which can turn out as a road to nowhere.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Milspec and 39martind18 like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

to remove boominess try a small amp stand . Part of the problem with percieved loudness is the low end vibration of the amp is transfered through the floor , by lifting it up onto a stand you are DECOUPLING the amp and the sound is more at ear level than at ankle level plus there is no seconary vibrations giving you a clearer perspective as to the real sound on your amp , an easy fix ,.........put the amp on a chair to try this out, then get a proper stand for safety

10. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Don't make it more complex as it has to be...
    Just spend 100 bux on a Fender Mustang One and you are done. Used, they go for 1/2 that or just about one round of burgers with french fries. LOL!

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Turn it down if it's too loud.:D

People have been using pillows for years.

If you get one of those low watt amps, your going to have a problem getting one with the right tone you want, then your going to start missing the lack of volume.

Tim S and Matt Sarad like this.
  12. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Matt Sarad and Zepfan like this.
  13. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Being a clean player this really is an easy situation to resolve....you don't need a low wattage amp, just one that will allow you to turn the volume down without losing a good tone. The problem with many amps is that the volume control isn't very precise and the slightest increase in dial results in way too much volume (I'm talking to you Blues Jr. as an example). I am a clean player 90% of the time so I will mainly use my Twin or Princeton clone...either one works great at lower volumes without losing that great clean tone. The THR10 on the Twin setting is also a great option if you want something really portable.

Take a look at the George Benson model of Fender Twin these days and you will see what you need. A great clean sounding Twin with a volume control that provides the ability to adjust the dial without huge swings in volume....a feature I wish all amps had actually. I am not a amp builder, but I suspect that can be achieved for any amp.

Bottom line: Since you don't seek tube break-up anyway, go with a clean platform that doesn't degrade tone at lower volumes. The Twin or Princeton does a great job at that and still allows you to crank it up when higher volumes are desired.

39martind18 likes this.
  14. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

The problem with tube amps is that even the tiny ones get pretty loud before they really start sounding good, even for clean tones. I have a Vox AC4TV, which at 4 watts, is my lowest wattage amp, but it is the amp that my wife asks me to turn down most often. For real low volumes I use a modelling amp... I have several... Boss Katana 50, Vox VT40+, Fender MustangIII…. I find that they get the best whisper-quiet tones. I also have a Super Champ X2 which is kind of a hybrid tube/modeling amp and sounds pretty good at low volumes... You might consider a Vibro Champ, which is really intended for low volumes. I know a lot of people rave about the Yamaha THR10C. I had one for a short time and thought it was horrible.

15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my marshall's w 4x12's do fantastic low vol play..way more clarity & depth at talking level than any designed to be small amp, sit right in front of it..its hi fi in way

16. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic

In general terms, for clean, turn down the gain (preamp volume/saturation) and turn up the master volume (output stage volume).
    For dirty at low volumes, do the opposite (although the distortion will be preamp, not power tube driven).
    Pillows and doona's will tend to muffle the sound.

39martind18 likes this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Attenuator.

Rufus likes this.
  18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I can agree with you on the THR10c...gave mine to my nephew when he started lessons, but not the original THR10. The Twin and Vox settings on the amp really do sound very good.

19. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Try a used attenuator...possibly cheaper than a new amp. Good reactive (not resistor-based) attenuators aren't cheap and don't fully preserve the tone down to whisper volumes, but if you want to tame the volume some, it may be worth a try...AND you can still play your big iron amps at less than ear splitting volumes.

I have a Boss Katana 100 (selectable down to 1 watt) and a Blackstar ID Core for low volume playing but sometimes I want to hear my 45 watt 1971 SF Super Reverb with 4x10" CTS alnicos. I am considering a Weber 100 watt MASS Attenuator because the SR is an unusual 2 ohm transformer output and the MASS 100 can be set to 2/4/8 or 16 ohms, allowing you to use it with different amps. (I have yet to try my '57 Champ thru those 4x10's, once I can match the different amp and speaker ohmages. I'm hoping that with the MASS, I won't also need their Z Matcher to do that.)

Even my vintage 1957 Fender Tweed Champ thru an 8" speaker can sometimes be too loud at home, even though its only 4 or 5 watts.

20. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Ahhh...volume knob...?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.