1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help! My AC15C1 having issues after 2 years

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Zacateca, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Zacateca

Zacateca TDPRI Member

Hi guys, I´ve had this amp, which I love for 2 years now. It has fairly new tubes by the way (maybe 6 months old) Yesterday I was about to use it but there was no sound. Power light was on but the tubes were not glowing. So I put it face down and removed the backpanel just to see if I could figure out something. In that position I turned it on and the tubes started to glow. I thought that maybe there was a loose tube so I pulled all of them out, sprayed the connectors with some contact cleaner and placed them back in. It was working fine. Today the same thing happened and I tried banging the pack panel and when I did next to the power socket, the tubes started to glow again and the amp worked fine. So I think that something might be loose but I don´t know what that might be. So what would you think it might be? It does not appear to be something serious but I need to repair it soon, as I obviously cannot gig with it like that.

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

You've got a loose connection in your heater supply wiring. Probing with a chopstick should find it pretty quickly.

3. Zacateca

Zacateca TDPRI Member

Thanks for your help clintj. I thought it might have to do with the HT fuse or something like that. I guess I will have to take it to a tech, since I don´t have a clue as to which are the heater supply wires, but if it is that, I suppose it will not be an expensive repair.

4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

It won't hurt to try a new fuse before taking it to a tech. Since it doesn't appear to be blowing fuses its possible that yours happened to break under the silver cap (somewhat common) and jarring the amp or changing its position is giving you temporary contact.

Its a cheap thing to try with no real danger of hurting the amp since we know that there doesn't seem to be an internal problem that is continuously causing a fuse to blow. Just make sure to get the correct fuse and watch where you touch when replacing it. Keep the amp unplugged and turned off.

5. Zacateca

Zacateca TDPRI Member

I´ll give that a shot and we´ll see. Thanks for your advice

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.