1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help mounting tele neck pickup

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HBamps, Oct 12, 2009.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I bought a new body and have everything mounted and ready to go except the neck pickup. I want to mount it to the body but am a little unsure how to get it in the proper position.

I read in one post about putting some foam in the cavity, put the pup loose in there, lay the pickguard over (in place), then carefully remove the pickgaurd trying NOT to move the pickup, hold pickup in place while marking for pilot drill holes.

This would work but one has to be VERY careful. Anyone have any other techniques?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Dizi

Dizi Banned

I've been wondering about this too...curious to see some replies.

3. jlerhun

jlerhun Tele-Meister

Isn't the neck pickup supposed to be centered on the 2nd octave harmonic (i.e. where a 24th fret would be) ?
    Maybe it can then be accurately positionned by playing a 5th fret harmonic until most of the sound disappears.

4. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I just want it to fit in the neck pickup hole of the pickgaurd.

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1 st) Mount the pg with a few screws

I measured the cutout from the neck heel (as a reference point)

Then removed the pg and placed the pup in position per those dimensions.

Marked the holes with a pin and drilled a LITTLE pilot hole, screwed her down and it was a done deal.

6. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

bump

7. fndtele24

fndtele24 Tele-Meister

you could also use a pickguard with the mounting holes for the neck pickup, and use that as a template. mark the points through the holes on the pickguard. Or maybe drill through those holes altogether.

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

I just make a cardboard template of the pickguard, install the pickup in the template and mark the screw holes. Place the template on the body and just use a nail thru the screw holes to mark the location of the pickup.

9. Dizi

Dizi Banned

Why didn't I think of a pickguard template? The template could have holes cut out for easy access to mount the pup while its in place. Brilliant!

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you buy a USACG body with the stock Tele pup rout, it will wanna be centered in the rout 20 times out of 20. I did the placement roughly the way Shepherd described on a first batch - I noticed how consistently the holes centered within the existing space. So I just center the pup in the rout and do the 3/8ths deep index holes off that, 1/16ths inch bit.

I recommend you use tubing to support the pickup, not a piece of foam in the middle. As you lower the pickup and compress the foam to its limit, the bobbin ears will bend down; you can hurt the pup.

Also, try #2 stainless sheet metal screws, 3/4ths inches long as these are plenty long. If everyone here uses the extralong screws offered by Fender and Seymour Duncan, someone will put a fastener through the back of the guitar. The risk serves no point. These little fasteners are what Lindy Fralin uses, I understand.

11. Dizi

Dizi Banned

Hey Boris, what type of tubing do you use and where to get some? Tube between the screws, or screws through the tube?

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Fender parts suppliers like Darren Riley carry it, but you can probably find surgical tubing at many places. Try a local fishing/hunting shop as lure makers use it for saltwater jigs, and you can buy just a foot or so of it and cut it as needed.

Oh, the sctrew goes through the small piece of tube.

[​IMG]

13. Dizi

Dizi Banned

D'oh! Brainfart. I'm familiar with these, but somehow managed to misunderstand a length of tube about the size of the foam support.

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.