HELP! Mini humbucker on Tele neck position question.

Myope

TDPRI Member
Hello everyone!

I kindly ask you which of the following neck pickups, in your opinion, is best suited to the S.Duncan Hot Stack I use in the bridge position on my Tele:
1) S.Duncan SM1N "Vintage mini humbucker".
2) S.Duncan SM2N "Custom mini humbucker".
3) S.Duncan SM3N "Seymourized mini humbucker".

I am trying to formulate a set with an effective, pronounced and definite response, but at the same time not compromised by the negatively low (and maybe mid-low) affecting the Tele tone. BTW... I honestly thought about SM1B mounted in neck position (SM1 output for bridge position is higher than SM1 output for neck position, to compensate for the Hot Stack OP).
In all honesty I would have liked to have considered SM2 (or SM3) for Coil Split / Coil Tap option... but maybe I would just risk complicating the situation.

Thank you very much! ;-)

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Go with the pickups you have in the guitar and install a 4-way switch to give you neck-bridge pickups in series humbucking mode. Gives you a Les Paul Junior type of tone.

$12 switch vs '$100' pickup.

Myope

TDPRI Member
Hello jvin248,
I think you didn't get the meaning of my thread: I asked which of the 3 neck pickups listed would be better to combine with the SD Hot Stack already placed on the bridge. What relevance does your answer have?

Myope

TDPRI Member
Maybe you should post this in the 'just pickups' section OP
Hello Lefty Addams,
I thank you for your advice but I can't find the section you are suggesting. Would you be kind enough to tell me where it is?
Thanx ;-)

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
The way I would go about it is to determine which pickup I would prefer on its own. I use one pickup at a time more than I do any combination, so that's my priority.

Once I'm happy with each pickup then I take the combination as it comes, and adjust that as needed via height adjustments, EQ, maybe messing with pot and cap values, etc. It's worked out for me so far.

I put a Firebird pickup in the neck position of my Tele, and while not quite the same as a min-humbucker, it did "darken" my middle position a bit compared to the typical Tele neck pickup I had in there before, and I imagine a mini-hum bucker might get the same effect. It's not bad, just different, and the tone knob and picking closer to the bridge are your friends.

Come to think of it, I use a no-load pot for the tone control. It's a pot that cuts itself out of the circuit on "10", making for even more brightness than a regular tone control at its max. It can be helpful when using pickups that are "beefier".

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
@Myope
You should contact Duncan and ask them which of the 3 neck humbuckers listed balance best with that bridge pickup, since they make all of the relevant pickups here.
It's about more than the middle spot, as you want similar output volumes for neck or bridge if possible.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
21.4k output on the Hot Stack?

I would personally pair that with the mini humbucker that has the most output, to get as close as possible. Otherwise you may find that the jump in output is just too much and too harsh. I find just that with my strat, whereby the difference between Neck (6k) and bridge (13k) is just too much.

FWIW I have a Vintage Mini Humbucker in the neck position, at 6.3k, matched with a stock pup at 7.9k. I found the mini humbucker a great pickup, but the one tone option means you can be trying to balance the two on the fly. I put in a stacked tone pot in the end, 250k for the SC and 500k for the humbucker, and wired the tele like a strat, which makes it so much more useable now.

Last edited:

Myope

TDPRI Member
The way I would go about it is to determine which pickup I would prefer on its own. I use one pickup at a time more than I do any combination, so that's my priority.

Once I'm happy with each pickup then I take the combination as it comes, and adjust that as needed via height adjustments, EQ, maybe messing with pot and cap values, etc. It's worked out for me so far.

I put a Firebird pickup in the neck position of my Tele, and while not quite the same as a min-humbucker, it did "darken" my middle position a bit compared to the typical Tele neck pickup I had in there before, and I imagine a mini-hum bucker might get the same effect. It's not bad, just different, and the tone knob and picking closer to the bridge are your friends.

Come to think of it, I use a no-load pot for the tone control. It's a pot that cuts itself out of the circuit on "10", making for even more brightness than a regular tone control at its max. It can be helpful when using pickups that are "beefier".
Hello SixStringSlinger,
and thank you for your reply.
I actually considered the mini humbucker can somehow darken the tone, but I don't mind this at all... as long as this doesn't radically distort twang and snap.
In this regard, considering your reference to the Firebird, I suppose the closest is SM1 "Vintage mini humbucker"... and I also read SM1 to be the brightest of the 3 Duncan mini humbucker.
Moreover I use the tone completely disconnected and I am a fingerpicker, I believe that avoiding too dark the tone is important, even more so as I use 13-59 strings.

Myope

TDPRI Member
@Myope
You should contact Duncan and ask them which of the 3 neck humbuckers listed balance best with that bridge pickup, since they make all of the relevant pickups here.
It's about more than the middle spot, as you want similar output volumes for neck or bridge if possible.
Hello ReverendRevolver,
Thank you for your indication.
I tried to contact them days ago and now I am waiting for their response. In the meantime, I thought it was important to probe the topic here in this forum. Often the opinions and advice of the members who have had the opportunity to experiment on their guitars are decisive.

Myope

TDPRI Member
21.4k output on the Hot Stack?

I would personally pair that with the mini humbucker that has the most output, to get as close as possible. Otherwise you may find that the jump in output is just too much and too harsh. I find that with my strat, whereby the difference between Neck (6k) and bridge (13k) is just too much.

FWIW I have a Vintage Mini Humbucker in the neck position, at 6.3k, matched with a stock pup at 7.9k. I found the mini humbucker a great pickup, but the one tone option means you can be trying to balance the two on the fly. I put in a stacked tone pot in the end, 250k for the SC and 500k for the humbucker, and wired the tele like a strat, which makes it so much more useable now.
Hello Cyberi4n,
Thank you for your suggestion.
According to the specifications reported on the Seymour Duncan website, Hot Stack and SM2 are equalized in a practically identical way; this perplexes me a little because I fear that neck pu could be too dark ... unlike the SM1 which has a clear cut in the mids.
I don't think the matter can be mainly op-related in this case, one has to consider how the pu emphasis will react once mounted in the neck position.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
According to a comment on the SD website, your bridge pickup "Balances well with a 59" humbucker in the neck." So that may be a better option?

Myope

TDPRI Member
According to a comment on the SD website, your bridge pickup "Balances well with a 59" humbucker in the neck." So that may be a better option?
I honestly prefer the mini humbucker concept for several reasons, so I would avoid mounting a real humbucker.

Myope

TDPRI Member
Hey folks, there's a change of plan!
For a question of EQ and OP balance, I would opt for a set as follows:

Seymour Duncan "Quarter Pound Tele" (bridge)
Seymour Duncan "Vintage Mini Humbucker" (neck)

;-)

thegaijin

Tele-Holic
I used to have the “Brent Mason” set up and used the SM-1n (vintage mini HB). It balanced well with the hot stack, but I never really liked this set up and all that remains of it now is the Mini humbucker in the neck, paired with a Nocaster pickup in the bridge. I believe it would work for you, as would either of the others probably.

Last edited:

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
For what it's worth, I like the pickups on my 52 vintage hotrod. They work well together, for me. Couldn't tell you the specs but this is fender's description.

Custom Vintage Tele (bridge)
Seymour Duncan Vintage Mini HB (neck)

thegaijin

Tele-Holic
After I wrote the above I just played around on a few of my teles and the SM-1n is actually “chimier” than my Cavalier Lion or Ron Ellis JL (which are meant to be more your standard tele neck pickups anyway) but less so than my Twisted Tele (which ppl say sounds more stratty). I didn’t notice a massive difference in middle positions.

Edit: I’m using different strings on all guitars, so this isn’t a perfect comparison but I’ve had the SM-1n in there for a long time now and don’t plan on removing it.

Last edited: