Help me understand Hall and Oates

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by OldPup, Aug 25, 2019.

1. OldPup

OldPup TDPRI Member

I appreciate so many people taking time to respond. I should have clarified up front that I only know a few of their songs, which I why I might come around to appreciate their music. I wouldn't ask people to help me appreciate, say, Pearl Jam. They're from my era, I know their stuff, but I just don't dig 'em. It doesn't keep me up at night. Moving on...

I asked for help and y'all delivered. I assumed "Maneater" was primo Hall & Oates and I was confused by some of their other stuff that pops up on Amazon Music from time to time. With the perspective provided by those who responded to this thread, I now know their earlier work that made them famous was very different, and they eventually progressed to the point where they released a pop hit that was not representative of their catalog the way I thought it was. When I hear them again I won't wonder why I'm getting some weird H&O B-side. The super poppy expectation will be gone. We'll see where this perspective takes me. Thanks again to everyone!

2. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

This is a great song, from the "unplugged" period of pop music.

brookdalebill and Durtdog like this.
  3. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

The LFDH with Smokey Robinson was niiice!

They soundtracked my teenage years and managed to be one of the very few bands that I could listen to in my room without my parents losing their minds.

But if you don’t get ‘em, that’s cool too. I think it’s accurate to say that I don’t “get” most bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well it did get a response from you, now didn’t it.

OldPup likes this.
  5. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I can't go for that.

In all seriousness, what opened the door to H&O for me was watching Daryl's House.

6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I remember hearing “She’s Gone” when I was maybe 12 years old and thinking, wow, that’s some super deep painful stuff.

Bassman8 likes this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Ok, in all seriousness, could someone please help me appreciate Pearl Jam. I know only a few songs--"Even Flow," "Pendulum" (which was effective mood music in an episode of "Blacklist") and "Better Man" (which always struck me as heavily influenced by "Save It for Later" by the English Beat--a band from my generation).

Are those tunes representative? If you could pick out a few songs that I should listen to and I either "get it" or "don't get it," which would they be?

8. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

I think it was around November 1977 - Cobo Hall Detroit - we'd finished out little opening act set, and I was at the out front desk - Fourth number in, they went into the intro of "She's Gone" - 28,000 people en-masse stood up on their seats in a single motion - an emotive moment that shows the sheer power of performance music, and a moment that stays with me some 40 years later.

awasson and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Not really a fan because it was that disco time period. But their stuff is killer. Never had a record or CD. Everytime I hear a song (which isn't often anymore!) I think how good it really is.

awasson likes this.
  10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

This is true.

If you weren't in a time and a place in your life where Hall and Oates music wasn't part of the soundtrack, then it really doesn't matter now.
    It's too late, and there's no use going back at it.

For the record;

* I'm a big Hall and Oates fan
    and
    * Maneater is my least favorite song in their entire catalog

:)

Manual Slim likes this.
  11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

It’s not my least because it was the first one I heard, but there’s so much more than that.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I really don't think there's any reason why a youngster, or someone into wholly different music, could not go back and listen to this with a critical ear and if you don't at least see big dollops of professionalism in all of it, I just might look at the "new listener" and sense less potential in him or her.

No, it doesn't really matter if you were in the right place at the right time, or not. IMO it isn't that kind of music. Now, the "music" out of Nashville that's charting today, that's not going to pass the test of time because it is too contrived and formulaic already.

Manual Slim likes this.
  13. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yup.
    In 1981 I heard this on Private Eyes, which I bought for the Title Song. The last cut on the second side led me to discover a guy named G.E. Smith. Good grief!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  14. bcorig

Daryl Hall’s vocal range. G.E. Smith’s guitar work. Clean, precise production.
    Try loud.

15. bcorig

I liked the guitar work in “Kiss on My List”. Not G.E. Smith.

16. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

Talented musicians, songs I don't care for at all. Live at Daryl's House is a good show. That's my understanding.

17. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Back in the 70's I saw them a couple of times (Leeds in '76 and Sheffield in '77). I had recently given up on Rod after he broke up the Faces. I now enjoyed Dr Feelgood, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, AWB, Little Feat, Steely Dan, Rockpile, Blondie, Graham Parker, Sad cafe, Ian Hunter, Alex Harvey and many more. But I wanted to be John Oates. At the time I looked more like Daryl Hall (though sadly I have not worn as well), I wanted to sing "I'm just a kid, don't make me feel like a man" and to play the intro on "She's gone". I had the finish stripped from my Kasuga Strat copy and bought a Dunlop Wah Wah pedal. Over 40 years on I still have the guitar (though the pedal no longer works), but not much hair, I don't think I will ever be able to reach the notes in "I'm just a kid" without re-arranging it. But with practice "She's gone" is do-able.

After the "beauty on a back street" I rather lost touch with their music, (moved on to The Blues Band and Nine Below Zero) but a few years ago after seeing LFDH I got back into them. My band have done "Maneater", as the lead vocalist seems to think that is what H&O are all about. I need to lend him a copy of Abandonned Luncheonette.

upload_2019-8-28_0-39-30.jpeg

By the way, one of my bandmates is into Dire Straits, and another Bon Jovi, what are they all about?

awasson, archetype and boris bubbanov like this.
  18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't dislike them, but they were never favorites. I remember being in a restaurant with my roommate and his girlfriend when "Man Eater" came on over the house music system. The GF started going on about how sexist the song was. I listened to her until she was done with her rant and said, "Well, sometimes you just want a man eater." My roommate broke out laughing and the GF gave me the hairy eyeball.

awasson likes this.
  19. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Hall and Oates was just regurgitated R&B from the '60s. Pretty, belly rubbing music.

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I know I'm late to the party, but I never understood Hall and Oates either. I always thought their lyrics were cheesy, to the point of being a joke cheesy:

"Private eyes, they're watching you."

"Abracadabra, they're gonna reach out and grab you"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.