Help me understand Hall and Oates

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by OldPup, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m from west of Philly, so yeah I’m a fan, but I’m also a big Philly soul fan as well. I saw Hall & Oates 3 times, and they were great each time. They put on fabulous shows!

They could rock too, as these songs will attest:

Jim622, drlucky, awasson and 2 others like this.
  2. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Just for fun...

brookdalebill, awasson, rz350 and 4 others like this.
  3. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nothing to understand, it's music damn it! Like it or don't. :) Primarily terrific white soul-R&B based tunes, Philly style, from the 70s/80s. Good song writing and catchy tunes. I've seen them separately and together and they put on a solid live show. Daryl's done a nice job with his Live From Daryl's House series on cable TV playing along with a variety of his musical friends. Give it a try!

Jim622 likes this.
  4. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

they are a couple of talented dudes that as a young dumbass in the 70's i hated.daryl's show was great.i won't be buying any of there music but i do get it and they deserve my respect.

Jim622, Greggorios and awasson like this.
  5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Great songs.
    Great singing.
    Great musicianship.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think that if you dig rock and roll or classic country or serious jazz then it's easy to scoff pop artists.

Pop is silly.
    Pop is too light.
    Pop doesn't have back beat balls.
    Pop romance is goofy.
    Pop is for children and really old people.
    Etc.

I think that its very difficult to write good pop. It's a genre that I would be intimidated to write and perform within. I would have a much easier time writing a folk or a classic rock style song or a punk rock song or a grunge song than I would writing a cleaner and clever pop tune. For these reasons I respect them. They did it.

I saw Sting after the Police break up when Sting was writing lighter music. Remember the album "Dreams of the Blue Turtles" and songs like "If you love someone set them free"? Sting talked to the audience and said "Some fans don't like the new pop; they want me to be the Police - I'm enjoying pop and I'll tell you that it's really difficult to write good light pop; it's hard to be good and not corny". This was at the Marcus Ampitheater in Milwaukee - 17,000 people. I stood there and thought.....damn he's got a point.

Hall and Oates are pop stars and that's ok.

Greggorios, Manual Slim and drlucky like this.
  7. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i was forced to go to one of their concerts way back when by an ex girlfriend. didn't like them then. don't like them now. we jokingly called them balls and jokes! as with all music, it is subjective.

i only watched darryls house for the guests but he always seemed to figure out a way to screw up their songs.

about as bad as stink post the police.

play music!

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Huh. Let's just say maybe I go to the rep for a group in their sunset years and maybe I tell them - "Want to bet that I can produce a thousand hits on your YouTube stuff, within a week?"
    Uh, maybe. What you got in mind?

"I spark a thousand hits, you pay me hundred dollah, huh?"

OP makes 100?

Like you never been trolled before?

Anyway, IMO - only the lightweights want to whine about somebody else's music, cause that's all they got. Who cares?

Greggorios likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

While we're here, let's give John Oates his due. Beyond having a great voice for their harmony vocals, he's also a solid player. It may sound like faint praise, but he knows what to play and what and when not to play. He's a less is more guy and never overplays. He's the feel and groove you almost don't notice.

10. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

aren't they satanists?

teletimetx likes this.
  11. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Satanists? Not at all. I know for a fact that they both enjoy satin *and* gloss finishes.

awasson likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree.

But I would go one step further and say that, since Wolk's passing, I've come to realize he was the "thing" that made Hall/Oates and G E's stuff work and G E is kind of not connecting with me, now that T Bone is gone.

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the reasons I value Haulin' Oats so much is,in the "empty" period from about 1975-1980, these guys produced really quality music when there was a serious shortage IMO of it. 1965-1971 I had gotten used to a veritable treasure trove of music and then a huge number of artists died or blew up or got lost in the wilderness and if you wanted something to listen to, at least you could count on Darryl and John.

By 1981, there was this New Wave thing going on and an exciting new band was being discovered twice a week. And I maybe needed Peter Gabriel and Roxy Music and The Isleys and James Brown and Tom Petty and The Cars and Dire Straits a bit less - and Hall & Oates a little less.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Manual Slim likes this.
  14. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

I don't care about the band, but the show "Daryl's House" (You can find it on Youtube) is very fun. Shows the quality of musicians he surrounds himself with.

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When I was a kid in Philly and just getting my legs under me, I used to play a place called Hecate's Circle in Germantown, PA. My young, inexperienced band ended up playing pretty often on bills with a duo that called themselves 'Whole Oats.' Daryl on Wurlitzer, John on acoustic guitar. We ended up playing a show at some high school in the suburbs where they opened up for us. It was a hard thing to watch, these two guys playing quiet folky music (much of which ended up on their debut album, which ended up being called 'Whole Oats') and barely keeping the attention of the crowd of high school kids in the auditorium.

But even then, Hall could sing his ever-lovin' a$$ off. As good as he was on record, he always surpassed the recorded versions live. Every time. This fact is borne out that a music industry heavyweight like Arif Mardin produced their debut. You don't get guys like that working with you unless there's something special happening.

Side note: I kind of kept contact with John after the coffee house and high school gigs, and he was very helpful in getting me focused on the work aspect of being a musician. I was even in line for the lead guitar spot prior to the War Babies album, but got edged out by a cat named Slugger Blue for the tour (he was a friend of Todd R., who played guitar on the album). That, as they say, is show biz...

- D

Jim622, brookdalebill and awasson like this.
  16. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Sara Smile, She's Gone, and Rich Girl were all over the radio in my Jr. High years. Always thought they were cool blue-eyed soul. The 80's stuff got overplayed, but was still some really good music, IMHO.

Here's my favorite of theirs, one that was released as a single but wasn't a huge hit for some reason:

17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Umm there are folks that don’t dig em?

Darrell’s House is awesome TV imho

Jim622 likes this.
  18. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have great respect for these guys. I was not wise enough in their heyday to appreciate their music. In about 2002, the company I worked for hired them for our annual meeting. I went to see them cuz, why not? They were simply awesome. Very professional and a super performance. Won't forget it. And love Darryl's House.

19. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Why would you care one way or another about a musical act that was popular 45 years ago? Who cares.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

B-but that's about when I stopped listening to new music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.