Help me understand Hall and Oates

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by OldPup, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

When I was a little kid in the 70s-80s, I thought for an embarrassingly long time that there was a band called Haulin’ Oats. I heard lots of Hall and Oates songs on the radio, but didn’t make the connection for a quite some time.

I still think Haulin’ Oats is a badass band name. I’ve been trying to persuade my guitar buddy to name our duo Daryl Haul and John A$$. Hasn’t gone for it yet. Just give it time.

2. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

They wrote some great songs. I think they would be more respected if they hadn't been so incredibly successful in the 80's. Even great songs get annoying when they are overproduced and shoved down your throat a million times when all you want is to see the girls in the ZZ Top video that you hope is up next. Or was that just me?

Anyway, I saw them in 2004 at a small venue (wife made me go) and they were fantastic. Great musicians and performers, especially Hall. You could tell that they made their bones playing music live on stage.

3. Robear

Robear TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I had a striking resemblance to Oates in my youth. I’m pretty sure it got me my first band gig.

I was cool with it.

:D

(On edit: I’m sure it was. It certainly wasn’t talent...)

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Well since GE gets some love around here,let's give him a tune!

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Worth it

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Similar thing with white Australian soul singer Renée Geyer, she sounded 'black' and her record company didn't want her to put her face on her album cover for a US release in the 70s. She insisted that her photo had to be on the album and admitted later she probably lost a lot listeners/money because of that decision.

7. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

It's funny you mention Haulin' Oats. A company tried to sell Haulin' Oats snack bars and got a lawsuit from Hall and Oates:
    March 6, 2015-- Early Bird Foods is not the first company to think it would be amusing to name an oats-based product "Haulin' Oats," so it should have known that doing this would be problematic.

[​IMG]

One of their
    less-well-known marks
    As Rolling Stone reported yesterday (via the New York Post), Whole Oats Enterprises—the business entity of Daryl Hall and John Oates—has sued Early Bird in the Eastern District of New York alleging trademark infringement. "The name and mark Haulin’ Oats is an obvious play upon Plaintiff’s well-known Hall & Oates mark," a spokesman said, "and was selected by defendant in an effort to trade off of the fame and notoriety associated with the artist's [sic] and plaintiff's well-known marks."

Those marks include, according to the complaint, DARYL HALL AND JOHN OATES as well as the more commonly used HALL & OATES. They have been used since the 1970s, when the duo started on the path to becoming "one of the most successful musical groups of the last 40 years" (again according to the complaint). Hall & Oates were in fact very successful, cranking out six No. 1 singles between 1976 and 1984. Since then, not so much, although as the complaint also notes, they were inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame in 2014.

Turns out they also sell oatmeal.

Whatizitman likes this.
  8. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

It wasn't quite mainstream stuff when they arrived on the scene, but after so many hits, you have to give them credit as songwriters. It hard to place them in a genre - not really pop, not really rock. But, I'm OK with their music and I do admire them as writers. And LFDH certainly has been an entertaining way for us to see all genres of music in a new way.

9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

If you want to see his roots, see how well he fits into the O'jays

On the off chance you don't get the O'jays I can't help you

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

What's to understand? They sing, play, write better than you and I, and they made a lot more money than you and I. And more folks like them than like you and I. I don't get not getting it.

StrangerNY likes this.
  11. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like almost all of their songs. Kiss on My List and this one are my two favorites.

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What's not to like?

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like Daryl's house but not his music.;)

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

This totally makes my day.

So, what you’re saying is Daryl Haul and John A$$ is still open? Yessssssss.

awasson and staxman like this.
  15. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Massive talents and actually with pretty great taste in music from what I've seen in interviews, etc.

But I can't like their music.

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

If you can find the rest of this concert from 1983, it's worth the time to watch. Lots of vintage guitars before they were "vintage."

17. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Daryl Hall is definitely not a one trick pony. If you can find it, check out his first solo album. I think it was produced by Robert Fripp. Very different from anything you typically associate H&O with.

awasson and StrangerNY like this.
  18. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I used to feel the same as the OP, and I wasn't that keen on Maneater either, until I watched the 1985 Liberty Concert. After that, I had a lot more respect for them. I still wouldn't buy their CDs though. :)

OldPup likes this.
  19. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

Yes... and he was also involved in Fripp's album Exposure. This gives some details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_(Robert_Fripp_album)

20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

This post pretty much nailed it. Top-notch white soul early in their career. Listen to "She's Gone," it is killer. Later they verged into MTV-era pop, catchy hooks, top 40. Not my thing.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.