Help me to complete my essential pedalboard

paperman

Tele-Meister
Hi guys,
I’m building my first (and essential) pedalboard to play some rock classic and blues with my Classic50 & PJIV (but remember…. I’m still a beginner…😬, I practise at home for my only fun).
After some test and good deals on the used market I got the TS808 OD, the Boss SD-1 (used as boost in front of the Ibanez, and sometimes mixed the gain) and the Carl Martin Surf-Trem tremolo (I love this kind of effect).
Now in my Pedaltrain Nano+ one pedal is missing (GAS?)…… what would you suggest? Fuzz/distortion (I like the classic sound as Big Muff and Fuzz Face)? Others?
So far I’ve been not a big fan of the modulation & time effects, but….. again, I’m still a beginner, maybe I need something to complete or modify my pedalboard.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Alberto

ross1shark

TDPRI Member
It would be impossible for me to imagine building a board without some type of delay, as it really helps to fill in some space. People will have infinite different opinions on which delays they prefer, and whether they like analog, digital, or a combination of the two. Since you're just starting out, it's not necessary to get an overly complex delay that does a million things. Something with a simple control set can be sufficient to get you used to the different ways to incorporate delay into your rig. I'd suggest something like the MXR Carbon Copy or BOSS DM-2W for an analog delay, or perhaps look at the BOSS DD-7 or DD-8 to go digital and give yourself a few more setting options. (This is perhaps a bit of oversimplification, but analog delays often represent more subdued repeats that sit behind the initial tone, while digital delays can be pristine and often brighter than analog. Many players use a combination of both, and many digital delays have analog emulations.)

Tim S

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This isn’t what you asked for, but as a beginner, if you used a Spark 40 practice amp, you’d have a ton of emulated pedals to choose from. Once you know which virtual pedals work *for you*, you can go buy the physical ones. (It costs about as much as a boutique pedal. The play-along functionality is a bonus)

kennl

Tele-Afflicted
how about a compressor, EQ, fuzz, OD, phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb, delay acoustic simulator, amp modeler and more?
AND a tuner!

Unknown.jpeg

my acoustic duo pedal setup includes this, a looper and a direct box

oatsoda

Tele-Afflicted
since you are just starting out, maybe pick up a few super cheap used pedals so you can get a general idea of sonic directions you want to further explore. You could even pick up a cheap used multi like an old RP50 to dink around with.

you might discover you are mad for fuzz, or loathe it. Maybe your sweet spot is an 80s stereo chorus with some subtle drive, or maybe you find out your the wah pedal king. Never know, but it sure is a blast finding out.

Roscoe295

Tele-Meister
I found myself (kind of) in the same boat (never really used delay for a couple decades). I decided to jump in by buying a cheap Behringer pedal. Got mine for $19… currently $25 on Sweewater. Might be worth a go.

Attachments

• AF6A0870-5D01-4BF1-9192-6EA5662BFEDD.jpeg
    AF6A0870-5D01-4BF1-9192-6EA5662BFEDD.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 32

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Assuming amp has decent reverb, then a tremolo is fantastic. As already mentioned, delay is really useful for so many tricks. And if that don't jive, then FUZZ*, anytime, anywhere!

Also, buy well, buy once. Boss, Ibanez, Digitech, Wampler, Keeley, JHS, EHX...all great builders and won't leave you hanging.

*many different flavours of FUZZ...if you're going this route, you may wanna investigate the differences between Muff, Fuzz Face, Superfuzz, et al sounds.

dougbgt6

Tele-Meister
Alberto,

I agree with Oatsoda, I had a Digitech RP 55 multi effects pedal, currently £20 on Ebay. Mess around with it, find out what you like. I now have FAR TOO MANY pedals, a 5 pedal board won't be enough! I now have two 5 way and one 10 way.

I recently bought a TC electronic Plethora which contains the software of almost every modulation pedal they make. Have I got rid of my duplicates?!!

Always on on my board is the Compressor, I didn't know what a compressor was until the one in the RP 55 died.

You don't like modulation, but you love Tremolo :) Hmm. Try them out, you might find something you have to have!

Doug