1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HELP ME TDPRI!!!!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by matty428, Oct 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

So I'm working on my Affinity Tele, and I had to replace my neck with a Mighty Mite neck, which itself was a new challenge with a 12" radius. But I'm also fighting string buzz in the higher frets, even with a truss rod adjustment, unless I jack the saddles all the way as high as they'll go. Now the action on the fretboard is basically perfect for me. I just HATE the way the saddle screws start twisting sideways as they are raised higher and higher. Is this normal with the modern saddles? Is my neck sitting to high for the body? Do I need to sand the bottom of the neck that mounts to the pocket?

Here are some shots of the areas I mentioned.

https://imgur.com/gallery/R42WX7s

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Put a small shim in the neck pocket on the headstock end of the pocket. Google 'fender neck shim how to' for advice on...how to.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

First...those are *great* pictures. Thanks for taking the time to show exactly what's going on. Many players can learn a thing or two from you.

You need a thin shim in the neck pocket, here:

[​IMG]

Cut a strip about 3/8" wide from a business card and poke a hole in each end for the neck screws. Some people will claim business card robs the guitar of creamy endless sustain, but that's all a bunch of hooey. Ideally you'd use a piece of thin wood veneer for this, but business card works fine.

Reattach the neck with the shim sandwiched in there. It will slightly change the neck-to-body angle and allow you to drop the saddles back down from the stratosphere where they are now.

4. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan TDPRI Member

When shimming I'm always wary of causing a 'bump' in the board over time. Instead of card I use good quality paper and cut 2 or 3 'shims' ie: full length, 2/3 length and 1/3 length- and stack them to form a wedge that fully supports most / all the underside of the neck.
    100% agree about the sustain-robbing hoojie-moojie. Good luck!

5. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

This totally sounds like a situation of the neck sitting high in the pocket. Height of frets might be part of the problem as well. Good advice on a front shim in the pocket, but I really think a business card thickness will be too much. I’ve always had good luck with the mylar material from a drumhead. You can double that up if necessary.

matty428 likes this.
  6. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

I hear that these business cards keep the tone just fine......

upload_2020-10-6_11-45-4.png

matty428, SbS, Deeve and 1 other person like this.
  7. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

Thank you for the info! I'll be adding the shim this evening! Is one "layer" sufficient, or is it a case by case deal? I apologize for the newb questions, I'm just beginning my guitar tech skills learning. Also could it be from a different radiused neck than what was stock? This is a Mighty Mite neck vs the Affinity neck that was stock. The MM neck is a 12" vs the stock 9.5".

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Get a fret rocker or last resort a credit card and check the frets see if they are level

matty428 likes this.
  9. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

I've done that and the frets are level all the way down. Using a fret rocker.

10. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Arr right putting a shim in there will mean you will have to raise the saddles even more check the thickness of the neck check the depth of the neck pocket if the issue is there i would remove some wood from the body neck pocket easy to fix with veneer if you go too far

either use a router or a flat block of hardwood with some 60 grit paper super glued to it rock it back and forth in the neck pocket

Dont remove any wood from the neck unless you are confident enough to get it dead flat

11. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Forget the nonsense about paper/cardstock being fine for a shim material. None of those people would buy a new guitar with a sheet of that material covering the bottom of the neck in the pocket. It's OK, but why use something mediocre when you can easily use a harder, denser material, such as the mylar that was suggested. Sure, you can probably get away with some paper crap if you want, and if getting away with something, rather than using something more likely to work best over time, is all you want to do.

notroHnhoJ and matty428 like this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Just for clarification here - the shim being discussed was, in effect, a reverse shim - re-read post #3 to get the concept. I'd be inclined to recommend a shim before anyone takes a tool to a neck pocket without some practice. Just my two cents. Well maybe 1.5 :)

13. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

Where would I find Mylar? I've never heard of it outside of balloons used for birthday parties. I've seen the business card trick used in loads of shimming videos, and you would obviously hide it and not let the edges flow out of the gap between the neck and body right?

14. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

Would a reverse shim be on the headstock side, or the bridge side. I apologize, I'm just beginning to learn all of this stuff.

15. teletimetx

...take a look at post #3 to see where the shim is suggested to be placed. Yes, in this case on the two neck bolts closer to the nut as opposed to the two that are closer to the bridge.

matty428 likes this.
  16. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

Thank you! It boggles my mind how a thin piece of paper can change the angle drastically enough to help, but I'll try anything before removing wood off the body or neck, just to be safe.

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. It makes a big difference because it's close to the 'pivot' point in the neck pocket. Eight inches away at the bridge, that tiny difference translates to a big difference in saddle height.

matty428 likes this.
  18. teletimetx

It's a method that has been around a long time. Since you are already adept at measurement, take measurements before and after and see what happens. Then you can gauge whether the shim needs to be more or less. If you don't like the idea of a business card (even if it works), you can buy a fancy wooden version at Stew Mac for 8-9 dolla. The fact that you can order a pre-made shim from Stew-Mac suggests it's a well-known remedy.

https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/e...itar-necks/stewmac-neck-shims-for-guitar.html

matty428 likes this.
  19. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

Thank you! This place is awesome and you just made my life that much easier! Thank you so much!

20. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

I'll start with a business card, as I have my own i can rob from work, and try it out before spending the money for the official ones! Thank you so much!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.