Help me smoke some ribs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boxla, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I just got my first smoker, it's electric. I want to try and do some racks of ribs and I need some advice.

1-seasoning rub for ribs?
    2-Do I bake them first? if so how long and temp? Do I hear of people boiling them first?
    3-Do I then put in my smoker? I assume if indeed I do bake them first, they are completely cooked and so how long do I smoke em?
    4-do I keep basting them in the smoker? if so, what should I use? (I think I'll plan to use mesquite wood)

I could be way off on all my lack of knowledge so please steer me in the right direction. Thank you for any and all help!

dented and idjster like this.
  2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

1. There's a ton of DIY recipes, but it may be more convenient for you if you want to buy a pre-mixed rub. Just make sure it has paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder and maybe a little brown sugar.
    2. I would not suggest baking or boiling them if you are going to put them in the smoker... that advice is usually for finishing ribs on a grill.
    3. Just season with the rub, (or at least salt and pepper), put them in the smoker, and remove when a thermometer shows a meat temp of about 190-200F. Could take as little as 4 hours or as many as 6 hours or more depending on temp.
    4. You can use a mop sauce, but I wouldn't put on anything sticky until near the end, or the sugar will just turn to char. A little char is good of course, but you don't want them all black with burnt sugar.

Good luck! Take some photos and post them! :D

Also check out this site for lots of great advice: https://amazingribs.com/

Georox, Boxla, RodeoTex and 2 others like this.
  3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Check out Youtube,,,, Masterbuilt has a lot of videos. I got an electric Masterbuilt smoker for last summer and used it a number of times on chickens, veggies and ribs. I bought a few different rubs and also different wood chips to experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/user/themasterbuilt/videos

I think you just need to do it a number of times. Conflicting ideas on whether to keep the ribs wrapped or not,,,etc.

Have fun with it.

SolidSteak, Boxla and dented like this.
  4. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Here is Alton Brown's dry rub: Yummy! Put the ribs back in the fridge for at least an hour after rubbing.

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning

1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

SolidSteak and Boxla like this.
  5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Remove membrane, using a paper towel gives you good grip,rub mustard on it, then add rub, smoke for 1.5 hour at 220 to 250, turning them once, wrap in foil with Apple juice, back on the smoker for 1 hour, remove foil, baste with BBQ sauce cook for 15 minutes, flip them more BBQ sauce, keep doing this until they are limp when you lift them with thongs maybe 2 to 4, 15 minutes cycle, pour honey , wait 5 minutes and enjoy
    I use Apple wood, the 1 hour with Apple juice is a trick from my butcher to make them more tender, also he said the regular yellow mustard is like meat glue for rub
    B9CF4FF4-E487-4329-9629-C604CCCDC18A.jpeg

IMG_1782.JPG

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  6. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Ribs are pretty easy/forgiving. I use a variation of the Franklin BBQ method, but most people's methods work just as well.

I generally do a rub of 1:2 kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper with a bit of garlic powder paprika and chili powder or whatever else sounds good at the time. Generously coat the ribs with the rub, you want to use more than you (as a first timer) probably think. Choosing good meat is key, spare ribs or St. Louis style are preferred over baby back. Set the smoker to 260F and smoke the ribs for 3 hours, then pull them out, baste them with some apple cider vinegar (or bbq sauce diluted water thin with vinegar), wrap them with foil and cook for another 3 hours at the same temp (you can do the last 3 hours in the smoker or in the oven, it doesn't really matter). For wood, I like pecan or apple for pork, oak for beef. Mesquite is fine, but it sounds better than it is.

Boxla likes this.
  7. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

Boxla likes this.
  8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

You NEED.......MUST HAVE...a digital meat probe. The fattest part needs to 195-210. I always stay at 190-195 as they will still cook when you pull them. Dry rub overnight with montreal steak seasoning. Set smoker to 230. Put them in at that temp. 3-4 HOURS. When you pull them out put your favorite BBQ sauce on them.....trick..... THEN put them in the oven on broil for just a few minutes to Carmelize the sauce. EAT! EZPZ
    Add smoke chips once after about an hour.
    Good luck
    This is my standard no time to waste procedure.. When I have time I like to experiment.

9. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Great, now I'm hungry. Thanks.

Boxla and Shuster like this.
  10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

[​IMG]

SolidSteak, dkmw, Boxla and 4 others like this.
  11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Smoking ribs? I've tried them before but I didn't inhale. Besides I could never keep the ribs lit.

Sorry, joking aside, this thread is making me hungry. Off to see what I have to work with for tonight!

Boxla and spellcaster like this.
  12. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Alright now stop that!

Jerry J, Boxla, Shuster and 1 other person like this.
  13. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

Welcome to smoking and BBQ! And smoking and BBQ opinions :)

I've used this recipe and method many times, it's a great place to start, and everyone always loves my ribs. I'm mediocre at most things in life, but I can smoke ribs and brisket like a boss. It's sort of a backyard hobby in my town.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/best-ribs-in-the-universe-mike-scrutchfield/

One thing though - it's geared to a specific smoker and there will be a lot of information that just doesn't pertain to your equipment. But maybe you'll gain some information you can adapt to your equipment and taste buds.

My answers for your questions -

1- yes, definitely. And let them sit out for a while on the counter before starting the cook. There's a PH change involving sodium that allows the flavors in the rub absorb into the meat, but it takes time and works less well when the meat is cold. Allow the rub to liquify over time, on its own.

2- No, and please, NO. Baking would be a last resort if it rains or something, but I'd finish with baking rather than start with it - smoke is mostly absorbed during the beginning parts of the cook. Boiling is kind of a gimmick to use when something is wrong with the rest of process. Healthy amount of "IMO" there.

3- yes, after trimming the ribs, removing the membrane, and applying the rub, and letting them warm up for a while

4- Personal preference, but don't add any liquid until they've started to crust, or you'll wash your rub off. Smoke them until the meat pulls back from the bone tips, and a toothpick can be inserted easily and slides out easily. Ribs really shouldn't fall off the bone, though, although it doesn't hurt the flavor. I've had interesting and tasty results spraying with liquid butter, but most of the time I don't add any liquids during the cook. To each his own.

Nothing wrong with store-bought sauce - I like Blues Hog original for ribs, applied with a paint brush while they're still hot. But learning to make sauce makes it even more special. Sticky, syrupy sauce is good for sticking to a rack of ribs.

My wood preferences are - Hickory for pork, mesquite for chicken, and white oak for brisket. IMO mesquite or pecan or apple are too strong for brisket because it's such a long cook, and I don't like their flavor enough to use instead of mesquite for chicken. I prefer hickory for pork by a long shot.

Learn how to get blue smoke at a low heat, and avoid having the food in the cooker if the wood is producing white or black smoke. I don't generally add smoke after the midway point for ribs, they've already had enough for my taste.

Opinions vary on wrapping, but generally wrapping to retain moisture and speed up the cook also reduces the bark and texture and muddies the flavors. You'll find out what you like through experimentation, but a good thing to learn is how to cook without wrapping while also retaining enough moisture.

It takes me about 5-1/2 hours to smoke ribs at 225-250F, usually 3 or 6 racks at a time ( from cryopack ).

After a few rounds of ribs switch gears and start learning pork butts - different animal completely than ribs. Well, same animal, but you know what I mean.

You can learn a lot reading the articles at the Virtual Weber Bullet site.

Good luck, and mind your cholesterol.

Boxla likes this.
  14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

"Jah-merica?"

We do jerk pork and jerk chicken in our smoker. Ours is real flame. We use and I'm not kidding...

Lightly figured quartersawn birdseye maple Eric Johnson Stratocaster neck blank cutoffs.

:D :D :D

SolidSteak, Boxla and Ricky D. like this.
  15. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

I just had to open this thread didn't I, dag nab it! :)

Boxla likes this.
  16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

For beef ribs I like to do a dry rub and cook that way. For pork I like the boil/ cook the bbq sauce on method.
    All of the options and recommendations I'm seeing above would yield excellent results I'm sure.

I gotta do ribs this weekend...

SolidSteak and Boxla like this.
  17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

18. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I completely agree on all of what Nickfl said, but would like to add one caveat if you're new to smoking. The mesquite will be a hotter burn than many other woods - the rule when you're breaking down all of the collagens and fibers in the meat is "low and slow" - Nickfl suggested 260 which is a fantastic starting point - it's maintaining that temp that requires attention, finesse, and experience if you opt to use mesquite.

Apple juice is excellent for keeping meats moist - I like a cheap spray bottle like you might find in a drug store. Apple juice CAN have a boatload of sugar, which caramelizes quickly and can add char faster than you might expect. For that matter, anything with significant sugar content can do that - so use caution with BBQ sauces, honey, etc.

Enjoy, and welcome to a hobby that's nearly as addicting as guitar!

gobi_grey and Boxla like this.
  19. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

The rub:

2 T. salt
    2 T. black pepper
    2 T brown sugar
    1 T. dry mustard

The baste:

2 t. salt
    1 C. cider vinegar
    1 C. water
    2 (or more) hot pepper pods, chopped

let it sit overnight before you use it

The sauce:

1/4 C. butter
    1 medium onion chopped fine
    1-2 cloves garlic chopped fine
    juice and zest of 1 lemon
    1/2 C cider vinegar
    1/4 C water
    1 C catsup
    2 T. Worcestershire sauce
    2 T. brown sugar
    1/2 t. dry mustard

If you want a spicy sauce, add cayenne to taste.

Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add onion and garlic, cook until tender but not browned. Add everything else, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Apply a heavy coat of rub, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and let the meat sit overnight in the refrigerator.

Baste every 30 minutes while cooking.

Apply the sauce in the smoker for the last 30 minutes only so the sugar doesn't burn.

In my experience, everything that works for pork works for chicken, too. :)

getbent and Boxla like this.
  20. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am so damn hungry now:(

Boxla likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.