1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me select a HVLP or LVLP sprayer.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by rolloman, May 10, 2014.

1. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Yep that's the stuff I want. I forgot I didn't end up going to Lowes yet. I'll make a trip there tomorrow. Hope ours has it too. The Benjamin Moore store can get me it like overnight if Lowes don't have. Quarts will be good for storing in the fridge. Won't make the wife to upset either. Lol.

Wow my list of locally available stuff is looking good. That's great. Now if Sherwin Williams LOVOC Nitro Cellulose Clear Lacquer $27 / gal. is what he quoted me at the store, or Watco Nitrocellulose Lacquer from Ace is any good for guitars, I will be set. Anyone used either of these nitro's?

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

On the subject of shellac, here is a cool video about its harvest and processing.

3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

I bought dewaxed shellac from the shellac shack(I got a full pound for same price most wanted for half lb). mixed to approx 4lb cut sprayed 35psi wide fan full volume to seal. also did the burst with darker shellac, round pattern 35psi very little volume for control. turned out pretty sweet. clear coated with behlens laq.

4. Killin5

Killin5 Tele-Meister

DrASATele,

I didn't end up thinning the EM600. Its been a while, but if I remember correctly thinning it with water was the thing to do. I think I tried it when I tested it, but found it didn't need it. I could be totally wrong there. DNA is the solvent and wiping the piece down with DNA between sessions is supposed to help avoid witness lines.

My main issue when spraying was getting runs and an even spread. I'm sure if I worked with it and used a different gun, I could have improved my technique. It got better towards then end.

The reason I'd stay away from the woodcraft gun was the potential for contamination of the finish. I just found it odd that it would turn the solvent blue. That cant be good in a clear finish.

I've decided to stop using the EM6000 for guitars not because of the spraying, but because of the "blue tint" it has over darker woods. This is unrelated to the "blue Tint" the solvent developed in the gun, but is something people look for with the waterborne finishes. Also it took a long time to cure. It is a nice finish and feels good now that it has sat for a while, but it took a long time. I'm a pretty patient guy so that wasn't a huge deal, but it was a disadvantage. The real kicker though was it reacted with my guitar stand.

It does have a nice burn in factor so witness free repairs are possible. I like that, but nitro has that benefit too.

In the end I felt like it had a lot of the down side of Nitro without the upside of nitro. The only up side from nitro is that it doesn't have the fumes.

5. tanhar020

tanhar020 NEW MEMBER!

Selecting a paint sprayer is all depend on your task. Which place you want to pain. If you want to paint a smaller area or object, then you need an LVLP sprayer for better finishing. And if you want to paint a larger area like wall or car then you need an HVLP sprayer for Working fast and easy.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

E7FA8CC8-F7DD-4CE4-BD64-F7990DE5881E.jpeg
    Interesting thread. It was 4 years ago, the first time it ran, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.