1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me select a HVLP or LVLP sprayer.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by rolloman, May 10, 2014.

1. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

I'm trying to select a sprayer. What I've been discovering is some professional finishes are being accomplished with a host of inexpensive (cheap) knockoff sprayers. Is this because lacquer atomizes easily?
    My sprayer is Devillblis 5hp. 20 gal. (Displacement CFM 10.4), (SCFM 7.1 @ 90 PSI), (SCFM 8.7 @ 40 PSI) Is it absolutely a necessity to purchase a gun not exceeding these capabilities of the compressor?

I've been looking at these here. Will these work or are there better options? I probably won't paint more than 3-4 guitars in a years time. It is a hobby for me, but I am kinda of a perfectionist.

http://www.eastwood.com/concours-hvlp-detail-gun-1-0-mm-plastic-cup.html?reltype=2&parent_id=26637

http://www.eastwood.com/hvlp-economy-detail-spray-gun.html

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...ro-HVLP-Spray-Gun-with-600cc-Plastic-Cup.aspx

http://www.harborfreight.com/hvlp-detail-spray-gun-46719.html

2. Killin5

Killin5 Tele-Meister

I used the Woodcraft sprayer to spray some EM6000 water borne lacquer.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...astic-Cup.aspx

Spray Gun Woodcraft.jpg
    Spraying.jpg

I found the gun hard to set to get a consistent spray pattern. Finish would collect on the tip as you sprayed and clog it up. This was my first time using a spray gun. I probably was doing something wrong, but I spent a lot of time (and lacquer) trying to get this worked out.

DNA was the solvent. At the end of the day I'd soak the tip of the gun in a cup of DNA. I'd also leave some in the gun. The reaction between the tip and the alcohol turned the alcohol blue. The inside of the gun isn't lined so there is contact between the finish and the brass.
    IMG00152-20120611-1917.jpg

I don't plan to use this gun again. It got the job done and the guitar looks great, but I'm moving on.

3. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Alrighty I'll mark that one off my choices. I don't like junk. Thanks.

4. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

To be fair, that EM6000 is pretty crappy to spray compared to normal stuff. Try using a solvent lacquer before you throw the gun away haha.

5. Killin5

Killin5 Tele-Meister

I'm moving away from EM6000 as well. Next stop Nitro town.:lol:

6. 3dognate

3dognate TDPRI Member

I tried EM6000 also... 3 electrics and one acoustic... done with that crap... It glosses up nice when buffed but it's about as hard as chalk and has zero flexibility. NOT a fan... I can go on but I won't.

7. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I used the harbor frieght purple gun cost 14.99 not on sale. Took it apart soaked it in acetone to loosen up all the silicone spent a couple hours cleaning the silicone and gunk out of it. Replaced all the seals with a 99 cent roll of hf teflon tape and it sprayed like butter. Best thing is if you ever need parts for it just get another gun for 14.99.

8. Killin5

Killin5 Tele-Meister

I've heard good things about this one. If my garage sale Devilbiss jamb gun doesn't work out well, I'll be headed to Harbor Freight.

I plan on spraying some Nitro in the next couple of weeks so I'm watching this thread closely.

9. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

10. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

If you get the Harbor Freight unit be sure to watch this video on how to fix the issues with it before you ever try to use it. 49 minute video that could have been done in 10 minutes easily. Guy really likes to talk I guess.

11. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

12. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Thats a great idea actually!

13. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Just finished my first build. sprayed behlens nitro, over shellac, both through the harbor freight gun. yes watch the video. Keep an eye out you can get it for 9.99. Worth every penny even at 14.99 and then some. first time sprayer so cant comment on any other gun. very easy to use and adjust!

14. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

How did you like the shellac. I not a first time builder but I'm soon to be a first time guitar sprayer. I just discovered today that shellac can be used instead of the lacquer type vinyl sealers. Is shellac all the same or is the type for under lacquer special. Where did you buy the shellac.

15. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

Shellac is great stuff. If its going to have anything other than more shellac over the top of it, then you want the dewaxed variety. Mixed fresh from flake is the best, but if you have to buy it canned, Zinsser Sealcoat is the only pre mixed I'd recommend. For a good selection of flake, Shellac.net is a good source.

16. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

nice website. im gonna go with the zinnser sealcoat. a lot less expensive than the nitro cellulose vinyl sealers too. thanks. when you say flaked do you mean the tinted shellacs? on the canned version how do you apply, foambrush, brush, wipe, etc. etc.

17. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Shellac flakes are solid flat chunks of shellac that you dissolve in denatured alcohol, so you mix your own.
    I usually apply with a spray gun.

18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

All I've got to say is AMEN (oh and the HF cheapo air brush works just as well!)

Exactly! (I dig the video and yes could have been done in about 10 minutes ;)

Tom speaks the truth, and man his finishes are awesome

What can I add?...

Is it absolutely a necessity to purchase a gun not exceeding these capabilities of the compressor?
    Yes and No.
    The guns that need a higher CFM will work with less CFMs but there are trade offs, some of which might make the job harder.

HF small detail 4oz gun runs off 3 CFMs. (you can change the cup so your not limited to 4oz but I never do as stopping to refill gives the oppurtunity to stop, check, adjust ect...)
    The 20oz guns say they need 6 CFMs (again they can run on lower but not as efficiently/ and making gun adjustments becomes a PITA)

The air compressor.... Don't look @ the PSI, look at the CFMs a compressor puts out. Be sure to get a water filter and an adjustable pressure gauge if it doesn't come with one.

Your environment has as much to do with the finish as the gun, compressor and the product you are using. It is a variable you need to consider.

Pancake compressors work for the small HF 4oz detail gun very well as long as your matching the 3 CFMs the gun requires.

The shellac tom is talking about is great as a sanding sealer, IMO don't waste your time/money on vinyl sealer. The shellac is pretty much universal in a sense that you can use it as a barrier coat between almost all types of finish. If I did finishing regularly I'd probably have fresh shellac on hand but the zinsser stuff works very well.

killin5 - did you try lacquer thinner (the good stuff) at all? or is the make up of EM stuff different than say SW Lacquer?

19. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

I want to use the Zinsser because I would like to get everything local and not have to order anything. I was even able to find the denatured alcohol in in 190 proof at home depot with the Kleen Strip Green version. I bought the wrong shellac though. Got the Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac Traditional Finish and Sealer. Got home looked it up and it is not de-waxed. Gonna have to return it and look at Ace hardware and Lowes. Why is wax put into shellac anyway.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  20. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Shellac naturally carries 1 to 3 % wax if I remember correctly.
    I found the Zinsser you are looking for at Lowes. I'm not sure about Ace. Called SEALCOAT Yellow and Auburn/Purple lable. If you want to keep the can longer than recomemended put it in your refriderator. Woodcraft sells the fresh stuff, it's a little expensive IMO.

I always use the DNA from Depot or lowes never had an issue with it. I usually use the DNA as a carrier for my tints in conjunction with the denatured shellac for that direct stain look.
    The stuff you are returning makes a nice finish but I found out the hard way that it doesn't protect anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.