Help Me Restore 55' Esquire

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by telesaxter, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree with Viking. That beat-up finish looks awesome. A pickguard will cover the routes. Find a neck you like, and a vintage-sounding pickup, and Bob's your uncle. Refinishing will remove 90% of the mojo.

stretford, velomand, CHarg and 4 others like this.
  2. sammy1974

sammy1974 TDPRI Member

Make that 3.
    It's gorgeous.
    Pretty sure there are folks who would pay someone to have a body come out like this.
    And if the hidden large route doesn't compromise the back...

Fretting out, Antoon and telesaxter like this.
  3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

And another thing, I am curious to know if you hear any difference in acoustic sound before and after you fill the routes. Nobody believes me but I am convinced that I once ruined the 'sound' of a vintage tele body by glueing in a piece of ash to fill a large hole in the neck pocket area. And this was CNC routed so the piece fitted exactly. I would leave the body as is, with perhaps a heavily used black pickguard and a maple board neck. I would also keep the neck HB. A bit like Keith Richards' Sonny.

4. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

You're correct about the neck route but the previous comment that I assume you're referring to refers to the two tiny little screw holes to screw the neck pickup in. On an all original esquire you will find a virgin neck pickup route with no holes for the pick up screws

horax likes this.
  5. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

I would definitely "restore" it. It will never be a real 50s guitar but it will probably sound great. I wouldn't fill the routs though. I can't imagine it sounding as good with big pieces of wood glued in. It's all hidden anyway

horax likes this.
  6. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I 4th it. :)

7. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Routing,maybe?
    why not make the bad routing job professional
    with a machine, or even make a smugglers tele
    would be nice lightweight guitar.
    By the way my 69 had a similar humbucker hole
    luthier glued a piece of wood in, sounds fine.

velorex

telesaxter likes this.
  8. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I have to agree with the “make a player out of it” folks. It would cost more to put all original 55’ Esquire parts on it than a parts guitar is ever going to be worth. You sold the neck pickup so put it towards rebuilding. If that’s a 1962 neck even shaved down you might get something out of it.
    I’d get a vintage style Warmoth neck with my favorite frets/profile etc. I wouldn’t worry about making it a single pickup if you like having a neck pu.
    I don’t think you will ever have a collectors piece but you could make a very good player out of it.

telesaxter likes this.
  9. nortally

nortally TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

FWIW, I would want to fill the route on the horn. (Create routing template, smooth sides & bottom, trace template to create plug out of ash or similar to fill it tightly.) And no, I wouldn't do it myself, this one I'd take to a top-notch luthier. But I totally agree about the finish, let it be. As for the neck, find one that makes you want to play -- you can always swap it for an authentic part when your ship comes in ;-)

telesaxter likes this.
  10. telesaxter

telesaxter TDPRI Member

Neck arrived today. I will do a preliminary assembly and post photos and report on how it plays.

Blue Bill and Electric Warrior like this.
  11. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Can't wait to see how this will evolve!

12. J.Rodney

J.Rodney Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No way that I would refin that body, I like it the way it is. Buy a great neck and electronics and whatever else it needs and then just play the heck out of it. Love the color and mojo.

CHarg likes this.
  13. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

Gotoh makes a nice relic'ed bridge with period correct saddles on the cheap $50 -60 but of course it won't have the Fender logo. A few people have mentioned Mark Jenny and I think he sells some reliced bridges and other parts as well. Worth a look at least, good luck on the project.

14. telesaxter

telesaxter TDPRI Member

So the neck I purchased was a bit wide at the heel and would require sanding and I decided against doing a preliminary build.

Good news is I was able to source a 52 lap steel pickup which I am currently having converted to be used in bridge position.

I decided to have body patched up and refinished as to bring this guitar back to it's original state. From there I plan on playing the living daylights out of it!

Will post photo updates as I go.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
  15. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

So, whatever happened with this?

16. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

So please correct me if I am wrong but following this post we have the following ,
    A possible 55 body
    In very suspect condition .
    No other period correct parts.
    Electrics could be from anything .
    None original neck .
    So basically a possibly old abused body that could of been made last week .
    Even if and its a big if where do you stop or start .
    Ok so you put an old lap steel pick up in it , still don't make it a 55 esquire not now not ever .
    And why later spend a load on a proper 50 s neck it s a shadow of its previous self .
    Sorry to be the sevils advocate

17. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Devils advocate sorry.
    But my point stands I don't know what you paid for this 55 but you basically got a badly finished body that unless you find all era correct parts the main part being the neck .
    Its still just a very over priced and not great parts caster , the whole point of those guitars is the pickups and neck or am I wrong ?
    So if I build a guitar around a 62 strat Bridge I have I can call it a 62 because it was once on a 62 strat no I don't think so.
    Build it how you want but please don't ever call it a 55 esquire because that's just a lie imo.
    Sorry not being a kill joy or an ass but being honest that is no more a 55 fender than my squire CV 50s .
    If you want to do it justice you need the dollars to do it, ie full body repair , pickups , and hard wear to match a 55 and a 55 neck neck and guard and a pro refinish or its just a bit of badly refinished wood with loads of random not correct parts on it.

18. telesaxter

telesaxter TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.