Help me pick a semi-hollow

Champ25SE

TDPRI Member
I don't want to get people worked up about politics so I won't use this thread to clear up my reasons but I'm boycotting Gibson and its subsidiaries. Also I really love Fender vintage fret wire. I've had it Japanese Mexican and American and it makes a world of difference in my joy. Recently acquired an okay 335 copy. It's weight is wonderful (light). It's pickups are surprisingly creamy. Everything else is junky. I could refret? Hardware upgrades are easy. It's action is sweet but compared to my 58 AVRI tele it hurts my hands. I think it's the frets. So who does sweet vintage style frets besides Fender? What are Heritage, Gretsch, Eastman frets like? Budget is maybe over 1000. Nothing too boutiqey. I doubt I'll love it as much as my tele, but a nicer 335 style guitar would totally fit in.

ebb soul

Poster Extraordinaire
Nothing beats a Hofner Verythin. Trans black available and bigsby.
Get the older one with the beautiful headstock inlays.
chancellor_headstock_front.jpg

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The Eastmans are awesome and a friend of a friend of mine's is what lead me to get an Eastman parlor which is on par with Gibbys, but their thin lines run medium jumbo fret wire.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted

Word. I've had a (Edit: new Korean-made) Starfire V for about a month and I really like it. The workmanship is first-rate and it's a gorgeous instrument. The fretwire is jumbo narrow, which isn't quite like Fender vintage, but it's a joy to play once everything gets settled in.

--Mark

Last edited:

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't want to get people worked up about politics so I won't use this thread to clear up my reasons but I'm boycotting Gibson and its subsidiaries. Also I really love Fender vintage fret wire. I've had it Japanese Mexican and American and it makes a world of difference in my joy. Recently acquired an okay 335 copy. It's weight is wonderful (light). It's pickups are surprisingly creamy. Everything else is junky. I could refret? Hardware upgrades are easy. It's action is sweet but compared to my 58 AVRI tele it hurts my hands. I think it's the frets. So who does sweet vintage style frets besides Fender? What are Heritage, Gretsch, Eastman frets like? Budget is maybe over 1000. Nothing too boutiqey. I doubt I'll love it as much as my tele, but a nicer 335 style guitar would totally fit in.

Word. I've had a Starfire V for about a month and I really like it. The workmanship is first-rate and it's a gorgeous instrument. The fretwire is jumbo narrow, which isn't quite like Fender vintage, but it's a joy to play once everything gets settled in.

--Mark
Well, it looks like Guild has already been seconded, so I'll "third" it. :D
If you're looking for something a little brighter, a Gretsch Electro 5422 is a great way to go, but if you want something more dark or comparable to a 335 with full-size buckers, check out the Starfire line. There are a couple of different makes, my personal favorite is the Starfire II, but play a couple if you can and choose whichever is right for you. I recently added a Bluesbird to my collection, and I can't wait to get more Guilds, I love it. Incidentally, I went the Guild route for my "Les Paul" instead of Gibson because of many of the same reasons as you, I suspect, and I got it for an excellent price.
I agree with Mark in their fret wire; the Gretsch is a little closer to Fender, while Guild's "medium jumbo" frets are narrower but about as tall. It took very little time to get used to on my Bluesbird, the neck feels great.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
In his heyday Son Seals played a Starfire V exclusively and he was indisputedly THE BAD AXE.
Listen to "Midnight Son" and "Live & Burnin" and I think you'll get the picture. :D
Not a good choice A great choice.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I would look in to Ibanez or Godin.

It's hard to find better quality (for the money) in semi hollows than Ibanez.

Godin will cost only a bit more and you're getting North American.

I had the 335 version of this up until when I bought my Midtown (I understand that you don't want Gibson) and both Ibanez guitars were/are terrific build quality. To put price/quality/feel in perspective.....this is a $329 Ibenez. Imagine what you can get for $650!

20180602_202601.jpg

20180602_202654.jpg

20180602_202742.jpg

They're good enough for John Scofield! (One of my heroes!)

Champ25SE

TDPRI Member
Well, it looks like Guild has already been seconded, so I'll "third" it. :D
If you're looking for something a little brighter, a Gretsch Electro 5422 is a great way to go, but if you want something more dark or comparable to a 335 with full-size buckers, check out the Starfire line. There are a couple of different makes, my personal favorite is the Starfire II, but play a couple if you can and choose whichever is right for you. I recently added a Bluesbird to my collection, and I can't wait to get more Guilds, I love it. Incidentally, I went the Guild route for my "Les Paul" instead of Gibson because of many of the same reasons as you, I suspect, and I got it for an excellent price.
I agree with Mark in their fret wire; the Gretsch is a little closer to Fender, while Guild's "medium jumbo" frets are narrower but about as tall. It took very little time to get used to on my Bluesbird, the neck feels great.
Those Guilds look like winners!

Edsel Presley

Tele-Holic

I picked the Dean Colt. Good guitar.

colttrd.png

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I like the Ibby John Scofields:

JSM100_VT_00_07.png

I like Eastman's too. I think the El Rey's a unique -- they are actually hollow bodies without f-holes, but with small bodies, so close to a semi-hollow sound,

eastman-el-rey-one-2010-cons-full-front-1.jpg

Neither has vintage-sized frets, though.