Help me pick a new looper

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by PurpleStrat, Jul 16, 2020.

1. PurpleStrat

PurpleStrat Tele-Meister

As much as I know about basic effects I know nothing about looper except that mine a Digetech JamMan is noisey when plugged up. Even if it's not on it makes terrible noise in the power supply? Is that normal?

Besides noise I would like better quality recorded loops. Mine is so old I'm sure many are better. I want it to be pretty simple.

Mainly use it for song ideas and little demos since I have no computer to record on.

Around $150. What should I look at?

2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

JamManSoloXT-large.jpg Products22203-1200x1200-1524424552.jpg 1488806712NUX Loop Core effectpedaal front.jpg hartke-hl77-looper-2.jpg My Digitech Jamman Solo XT is noiseless. I like it 'cause I can load 200 chord progressions in it for quick playback, instead of those with storage for only one loop where you have to record a new song in every time. The other affordable ones with that capability are the Boss RC3, and Nux Loop Core, also sold under the Hartke name. There are also fancier and more expensive Boss and EHX ones, but the affordable EHX 360 and 720 hold fewer loops and have less total storage time.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

nano-looper-360.png IMG_8535.jpg

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Boss RC3.

Bombproof design. 99 memory slots, loads of memory and basic metronome & drums to develop tunes or practice with.

nicknklv and DougM like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had a Jamman Stereo for ages and no noise, so I suspect something is wrong with your set up. Nevertheless, hands down, but expensive is the Trio Plus. I plug my T+ into my Jamman Stereo for the ultimate looping lifestyle.

DougM likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

That was one of my suggestions too. I only got the Digitech instead of the RC3 because it cost less, especially since I got it at the store where I worked and I got it at cost.

7. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

Boss Rc3 is a solid choice. Love mine

The only thing I dislike about single switch loopers is you have to double tap to stop the loop. It makes it awkward coordination wise. Although it is standard feature - Tc ditto was the same

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

Get a nice RC-3. There is no way you can go wrong with it. Don't exclude the possibility of a great condition second hand one, it is a Boss so it's built tough. Picked mine up used from a music store for ~$90. Then spend the rest of your budget on picks. :D

9. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Someone here cued me on this: Ditto > JamMan solo xt. Ditto for grabbing ideas on the fly and the solo xt for a large bank of saving the ideas that work. I also got the 3 button foot switch for the solo xt...very convenient. So the ditto and the 3 button foot switch are on the floor and the xt is with in reach on the desk.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The external foot-switch options on the RC3 allow for that.

11. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

I know. But double tap does the job. Even if it's awkward

12. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

ditto plus?

13. br000c

br000c TDPRI Member

I use the Boss RC-1: simple, efficient, great sound quality (and noiseless). Its a great practice tool

[​IMG]

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ditto. Tried the RC-3 (bought two because I use two live!) sent them back immediately. But my thing is using them live.
    You cant kill if it requires tapping twice, singing, staying on beat, and changing chords all at once!

I use two Ditto's and a switcher for instant kill.

15. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ditto Looper's about as simple and cheap as it gets.

[​IMG]

I really only want a looper to fill in a little space behind me during a solo if the band/song arrangement requires it, or say to play the first verse straight thorough and then be able to paly fills over that for the second verse. This covers that just fine.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  16. PurpleStrat

PurpleStrat Tele-Meister

Well since mine is DigiTech but older I want to get away from it. Bad taste I guess. The Boss seems solid but im not big on these buffered bypass.

How does the NUX stand up to the big boys? Is the sound quality there?

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Kokko SOS Flp2 clone of the Ditto Mini Looper, I paid $35 new for it which is about 1/4 the price of a new Ditto. I think the current version of it is sold under Ammoon brand.

If you need a fancy looper, you can just buy two of these and still save a bundle.

18. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

If it's the same a Ammoon, then it's really a rebranded Rowin. I have the micro one, but the new Rowin software to load loops onto your PC and back again doesn't with mine, and I lost the older software that did work when my last laptop dies, 'cause I didn't have it backed up on my external drive. They male some fancier ones too.
    RW-LEF-332.jpg s-l1000.jpg

19. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I had the Jamman Express. I replaced it with the Boss RC-3; much better features and it sounds better too.

PurpleStrat likes this.
  20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

No, that is not normal. I have the DigiTech JamMan Solo XT and there is no noise at all. Are you using the correct power supply?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.