Help me pick a new distortion pedal!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sixstringguy, May 20, 2020.

1. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Not sure, but I’m afraid this thread has got us all shopping!

schenkadere likes this.
  2. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

My favorite OD pedal is a J. Rockett Archer (think: Klon). I can go from 'woman tone' to AC/DC with simple tweaks of the knobs. Very versatile.

basher likes this.
  3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Sorry if this has been replied to already, I've not read the rest of the thread.

I'd absolutely say that for most people you wouldn't want to go past half way. I think it's because it's such an old design the whole 'put everything at 12 o'clock and that's where you start' thing hadn't really taken hold. For a DS1 you should really start with the tone control all the way off and just add highs until it's where you want it. Same with the distortion control really, don't start at 12 o'clock start with it off and just add it until it's where you want it. In a way it's similar to a lot of the older EHX designs in the controls will go way beyond where most would use them. People can't seem to get their head around that though and that's why most manufacturers these days will limit the range of tone controls so they are still usable at both ends. Likewise it's possible to turn some 'mid gain' overdrives into much higher gain overdrives by just changing a resistor and the value of the pot, they'll limit the distortion so people don't go 'oh it's got too much distortion, it's like a metal pedal. I wanted a lower gain distortion' rather than just turning the control down. ;)

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

Right - So if we are not splitting hairs between overdrive, fuzz, and distortion,
    AND if you are already digging the OCD,

Analog Man BEano boost! Or better yet the SunLion.

THe OCD is a polite approximation.

I have the original rat and the heavier rat II - they are versatile but don't zero in on the actual tones of glam and classic rock the sames way. They are, in my opinion, a little boring by comparison.

BIg KNob pedals has something called the Pink Freud which is a split personality pedal, -also their Appetite for distortion might be for you depending on your amp.

I'm surprised at all the love for the rat!

Does anyone think that 10 years ago the big muff dreamer would have gotten all that,
    and 20 years ago it would've been tube screamers? ?

ANyway good luck in your search, and thanks everybody for all the demos - I'm going shopping too!

5. Watchdogg

Watchdogg TDPRI Member

Here is my favorite OD when turned up to 7 or more[​IMG]

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

OK so I tried the Mosky B-Box at lower gain settings. It sounded good but retained a mid thickness, not too unlike what an OCD does , I'm thinking, yet not to that degree. (I have OCD experience, and I like them but you're right, you can't dial "that" out of them). It would actually make a real good clean boost, adjusting the treb and bass controls to pop out the frequencies you want. But as soon as you get past unity with the gain knob, it thickens up considerably.

I have pedals that I frankly much prefer the sound of way more than this for when it comes to that "little bit of dirt" thing, including the ROG Peppermill, a TS set to low low gain and the vol cranked, and my DOD Gunslinger.

Really you should get it though, it's like 30 bucks and it sounds really really good at the higher gain settings, and you might really like the lower-gain ones, too.

btomson likes this.
  7. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

A ProCo RAT...

Here's mine, a RI that I modded to 1981 rev.b circuit, with the essential LM308N :

[​IMG]

I derived this one from it. A combo of a Ge light booster-overdrive fronting a RAT 1981 rev.b. Both can be activated independently or in the same time :

[​IMG]

I integrated a RAT 1981 rev.b circuit in my Smoby Wah-Distortion, built in a leftover FoXX casing :

[​IMG]

So yes : a RAT, indeed ! You won't be disappointed, it's a underrated safe value... ;)

-tbln

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

Not a three-knob. But that thing is massive and will tick all your boxes.

9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

THE best, and the best bang-for-the buck.

mxr super badass.PNG

blowtorch likes this.
  10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

JHS Angry Charlie

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

yeah i go way out of my way to keep knob twiddling to a minimum live, and while i went the pedalboard route, a good multi effects with a healthy amount of storage for premade patches would work too. one with a bunch of different drive effects wouldn't be a bad way to figure out what you really like, too, and if you decide you like stuff in the tube screamer family or the big muff family or the rat family you can narrow it down further.

if you do decided to descend into knob twiddling hell, start taking notes on what settings work for what. it's what i did when i started building my pedalboard in the early stages of my current band. after a while you'll just remember, but it really helps when you're starting fresh.

also, if you change your guitar and or amp you may be back to the drawing board. all of my board settings i use with my single coil jag sound pretty ok with my single coil tele, but when i plugged an lp jr with p90s in everything was off, and it would have been even more off with humbuckers.

i prefer pedal based gain staging to messing with my volume control to get the sound i want - if i know, oh, this song is overdrive into fuzz and then i also put on a distortion for the riff in the chorus, that's pretty precise unless the knobs on the pedal get moved. you can fine tune the eq on the amp a little to deal with room sound, but generally speaking, i play out with everything set the same as at band practice.

if you're going to stack gain, you should consider a pedal or two that you might think is bland on it's own, because that blandness may mean it blends well with something else. i'm not a huge fan of the mxr distortion plus by itself, but it can bring some real magic out of another stomp box.

i don't know remember if i mentioned it earlier in this thread, but sticking a clean boost at the end works as a master volume for everything before it if you leave it turned on, and also takes the mumbles out of your sound if you're running a bunch of pedals. it's not the same as straight into the amp, but it puts quite a bit of snap back into your sound.

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

which one is that? the reflection on the front panel is making it hard to read the name.

13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Lol...my OD hunt days are over...no shopping here.

14. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

the new Boss JB 2...JHS angry charlie built in with a blues driver. Havent liked a pedal in 20 years till I heard this one :)..

199 at sweetwater in stock but may have too many buttons for ya

only 7 left had 9 last night in a few minutes gonna be down to 6

[​IMG]

15. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

Rat

16. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Incredibly versatile and every time I swap it out I swap it back in the next day.

17. Watchdogg

Watchdogg TDPRI Member

1979 silverface deluxe reverb mostly originally.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.