Help me pick a modeling amp

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Lamar Chipperson, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Lamar Chipperson

Lamar Chipperson TDPRI Member

Long story short, I am moving 1600 miles from a town of 700 to a city of 100k in a week. That move is also from a detached home to an end unit townhome. I assume that means no more getting my AC-10 into it’s sweet spot, so I’m shopping modelers and solid state amps. I’d like to keep the cost under 3 bills, to keep my wife happy. With my Vox, I run it fairly dirty and get my cleans by rolling back the volume on the guitar. I’d like something with a less Vox-y sound to expand my palate a bit. Right now, the leading candidates are the Katana 50 MKII and a Fender Champion 40 (or 50XL). The Katana seems like way more amp for the money, but my big question is can I get a Fender-ish clean out of the Katana with some tweaking? I’m a tech guy by trade, so using the software to dial in sounds is not an issue... If there is something different I should be checking out, let me know that as well! Thanks!

2. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

If you don’t need to play loud, then the Yamaha THR10C is on sale at Sweetwater for $250. Fender Deluxe is one of the amp options but the Matchless DC30 emulation is my favorite.

The new THR2s have more amp emulations and models with wireless capability $300 - $500.

OR

Weber Micro Mass Attenuator for your AC10 for $100.

Good luck with those city folk!

DHart, Georox and Danjabellza like this.
  3. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I was just going to suggest the Yamaha THR series. I recently picked up the 100 watt head, THR100HD, and its pretty amazing. Many are available used from GC. Has an effects loop and endless tweakability. However it has no built-in effects other than reverb and no presets. So it behaves like a traditional amp rather than a computing device.

I find it is truly touch sensitive and responsive to the guitar's volume knob.

It will definitely do the Vox-ish crunch and the Fender cleans, and also pulls off a good Marshall and Mesa.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    DHart and howardlo like this.
  4. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

My kid has a katana 50, it’s a great amp with a ton of tonal options.

if I were you I’d check out the Superchamp XD, it’s a pretty great little amp. Can get Fenders type cleans and is easy to switch amp modes. I’m a big fan of it, might be a bit less versatile than the Katana but easier to use.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  5. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Fender Super Champ X2 is a modeling amp with effects and vacuum tubes. I love mine.

6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

If Fender tone is what you're after, the Champion 40 has not one , not two, but six different Fender models to choose from. And it's probably the easiest modeling amp to use. It's not the hands-down best sounding, but the differences between most low-cost modelers are small and subjective. For playing at home, at low volume, I like my Champion. I like having six different Fender models on tap instead of just "tweed" and "blackface."

But overall, I much prefer the Vox VT40X.

Telecaster88, duzie and nick0 like this.
  7. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Kemper

rolandson likes this.
  8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

We are living in a kind of modern age of non tube amp alternatives. A lot of good ones out there.

9. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

I also like the THR10C for near-field practice in a small room. I don't like it as much in a larger room.

The BIAS Spark looks interesting too, but it is designed to be used along with a phone app, which isn't my preference.

If you don't need the mobility of a practice amp, you might consider going with a software-based amp sim solution (you would need a computer, a USB interface, and a pair of powered monitors -- if you don't already have them). That way, you are also set up for easy recording.

10. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

I'm assuming all these modelers have headphone jacks, so I wouldn't worry so much about the amp as I would a good set of headphones.

With that said, The Fender Mustang GT series took a bad rap to start with, but I can attest to the fact that the latest updates make them sound pretty good and very versatile. $150-200 used all day long.

The SCX2 is a great sounding amp, problem I have with it is you have to use a computer to really use it. That's why I much prefer the Mustang (even if the SCX2 is marginally better sounding)

The other option is keep what you have and invest heavily in sound deadening material for your practice space.

A Vox ampplug is what, $30? that should get you by while you're researching... and don't forget GC has 45 day return policy.

colecovington likes this.
  11. deep

deep Tele-Meister

Another vote for the THR10C. It's perfect for noodling around an apartment, townhouse and even for some smallish coffee house intimate setting jams. My favorite is the Matchless DC-30 and Marshall Bluesbreaker emulations. The Blackface Deluxe setting is pretty neat too and lots of potential for tweakability to create your own tones from the THR Editor.

DHart and Honest Charley like this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My best mate and fellow guitar geek has that Yamaha THR10C and it is cool for home playing. I was showing him my Boss Katana 50 and he dialled in the Deluxe Reverb tone on the Yamaha and it sounded really great. It also has plenty of other cool stuff and I'd recommend it.

DHart likes this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If it's truly just a practice amp, the Yamaha THR10c all the way. Really, really nice tones at low volumes. Very simple to dial in a few good tones, easy to learn how to use, good size, doubles as a boombox.
    If you will want to be able to crank it up, Katana 50 if you need effects or Orange Crush 35 if you don't. Both are marginally usable gigging amps at higher volumes.

DHart likes this.
  14. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

If I may offer an alternative suggestion?
    I have just bought an "i-rig" that has really impressed me and use an app to run different amps & cabs. Apparently these are that good theres a you tube of guys gigging with these. Not overly cheap but versatile to take anywhere and not annoy anyone.

I find it useful at gigs in between sets where I may need to brush up on some songs on following set list.

15. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I have a Yamaha thr 10 and I think if you live in a wood apartment like me, it's the way to go.

End unit townhouse...hmm. I think maybe you can turn up a bit more than me.

I think he THR rules the very low volume world. Once you get up into kinda low-ish volume, I'd wanna have something a bit thicker sounding.

DHart likes this.
  16. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

THR10 can get plenty loud enough to make a next door neighbor fume. So, probably louder than you will ever need in your townhouse.

Nice thing is everything about that amp, the tone, the features, all the great EFX, five presets, MP3 device player, the size, weight, convenience, etc. Do yourself a favor and investigate the THR10 closely!

Works well as a digital interface to recording into the computer, as well.

Use the Yamaha editor to dial in some great compressor tones, then save as a preset.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    EsquireBoy likes this.
  17. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

oh the humanities.......

18. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

SuperChamp XD is a great amp for home use.

joealso likes this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Why did you make me look at the Yamaha THR100HD

:(

20. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I too vote for the Yamaha THR10 or 10C.

As well as sounding great, as already many have mentioned, they also look really nice just sitting around. So they don’t look out of place kept in a living room.

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.