Help me pick a LP substitute

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
A slightly used LP Tribute is the way to go. You can find them easily between $800 and $1K. They’re only $1300 new. I have a 2020 in cherryburst, and it’s great. Needs nothing other than minor setup to your preferences. The neck feels perfect. Larger than a “slim taper” neck, but not as huge as a ‘59 neck. The guitar is light for a Les Paul. Pickups are really good, and all hardware is good. It feels, plays, sounds, and looks like a Les Paul. I actually prefer the look of the satin finish. Can’t beat having a real Gibson Les Paul for a very reasonable price.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I've seen many, many real-deal LP studios from the 90s and 00s in fine playing condition for less than a thousand. If you are wondering if you'd like a les paul and you can spend a grand - go get a les paul!

Did a quick look in my area and found five candidates on CL under a grand, each one slightly funky but appealing in its way.

I will also 'want' one, like I will always want a strat, but I have owned enough to know they are not the best fit for me.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
OP- It sound like the Epiphone LP 50's is exactly what you are looking for. Basically a 50's LP made overseas. It's the closest facsimile to a LP Standard, if you just want to try before you buy the real deal.

The Gibson LP Tribute is another option, that might be a permanent "good enough" guitar. It is a Made in the USA Gibson that does everything that the Standard does, but with some cost-down measures to substantially lower the price of admission.

To me, it comes down to what exactly is most important to you. Do you want a 50's LP or a "Gibson" LP? The Epiphone is likely the better guitar, but does having "Gibson" on the headstock matter? "No, maybe, and definitely" are all valid answers to this question.

Third option is "buy once, cry once". Just buy the Gibson Standard if that is what you ultimately want. They hold their value, so you can't get too hurt on the deal if you end up not liking it.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
A slightly used LP Tribute is the way to go. You can find them easily between $800 and $1K. They’re only $1300 new. I have a 2020 in cherryburst, and it’s great. Needs nothing other than minor setup to your preferences. The neck feels perfect. Larger than a “slim taper” neck, but not as huge as a ‘59 neck. The guitar is light for a Les Paul. Pickups are really good, and all hardware is good. It feels, plays, sounds, and looks like a Les Paul. I actually prefer the look of the satin finish. Can’t beat having a real Gibson Les Paul for a very reasonable price.
I really like the Tributes. My favorite guitar is my DC Junior Tribute. It is so light, and I love the satin finish. I'll probably end up with a LP Tribute at some point also. I prefer it over the Standard due to the two points mentioned above (weight and satin finish). I currently have a PRS SE 245 to scratch the LP itch, but I don't like the glossy neck.