Help me pick a LP substitute

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I am looking for a guitar that's as close to a 50s Les Paul (big neck) Standard as possible for less than a thousand bucks.

I'm considering an Epi 59 standard outfit, a Harley Benton SC-450 and others. I want to find something that I can determine if I really like the Les Paul feel before plunking down 3k.

Thanks for your input!

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
PRS SE245. Feels right, sounds good. Nice, hefty neck. When strapped on, it feels pretty much like my R8. I swapped the pickups in mine for Seth Lovers, but the stock pickups were excellent. My entire investment (with pickups) still under a grand. Gibson R8 on the right, PRS SE245 on the left. Love 'em both, but take the PRS out more because there's a lot of stress taking out a $4000 guitar.

Attachments

• 20220123_095427.jpg
    20220123_095427.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 52

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
+1 on Hamer Sunburst. I picked up a late 90s MiK Sunburst and it does the LP thing very well. Nice chunky neck too! I also like where Hamer puts the selector switch. On traditional LPs I tend to accidentally hit the switch while playing.

Last edited:

lowatter

Tele-Holic
Ibanez Artist or Studio. If you can find one from the 80's for a grand otherwise new ones are $600 or so.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
My answer was a PRS SE Santana Abraxis. (to be fair though, I was a fan of the cover artist years before the album came out)

The important words in the name aren't really there. It's a limited edition Cort. 24 1/2" scale wide fat neck, 3-piece mahogany neck, and a mahogany and maple body, very similar to an Epiphone LP. It's lighter and I like the double cut-away. Also. I think Paul cracks the whip harder than Gibson does. Whether being a "limited edition" means as much as it does in the Martin factory... well, I really doubt it, but I can dream, no? :)

The Hamer is also a good choice, but I'd jump on that Ibanez. Look at that wood! Yeah, everyone likes pretty, but straight grain has clarity. I've been through so many guitars in my life.... the only factory pickups I've kept have been Ibanez.

In the end, make sure you're buying a better guitar and not just a name if you move up. Any of these suggestions could do you for life if you get lucky.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
My answer was a PRS SE Santana Abraxis. (to be fair though, I was a fan of the cover artist years before the album came out)

The important words in the name aren't really there. It's a limited edition Cort. 24 1/2" scale wide fat neck, 3-piece mahogany neck, and a mahogany and maple body, very similar to an Epiphone LP. It's lighter and I like the double cut-away. Also. I think Paul cracks the whip harder than Gibson does. Whether being a "limited edition" means as much as it does in the Martin factory... well, I really doubt it, but I can dream, no? :)

The Hamer is also a good choice, but I'd jump on that Ibanez. Look at that wood! Yeah, everyone likes pretty, but straight grain has clarity. I've been through so many guitars in my life.... the only factory pickups I've kept have been Ibanez.

In the end, make sure you're buying a better guitar and not just a name if you move up. Any of these suggestions could do you for life if you get lucky.
Thanks very much. I have an SE Paul's guitar and it's excellent. Is it close enough, I wonder...

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
Here you go. Not affiliated but owned one and it was superb.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I am looking for a guitar that's as close to a 50s Les Paul (big neck) Standard as possible for less than a thousand bucks.

I'm considering an Epi 59 standard outfit, a Harley Benton SC-450 and others. I want to find something that I can determine if I really like the Les Paul feel before plunking down 3k.

Thanks for your input!
Slab bodied Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute Humbucker, $999 list price. With the standard 15% dsicount available at one of the bigger online retailers you can get it for $850 new. Comfortable, versatile, lightweight, great sounding. Has 490T and 490R pickups which I really like. Liked the 1st one so much I got another one. Neck feels about the same as a '59 or what they put on an R9.

LPSpclCh.jpg
LPSpclWh.jpg

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
Slab bodied Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute Humbucker, $999 list price. With the standard 15% dsicount available at one of the bigger online retailers you can get it for $850 new. Comfortable, versatile, lightweight, great sounding. Has 490T and 490R pickups which I really like. Liked the 1st one so much I got another one. Neck feels about the same as a '59 or what they put on an R9.

View attachment 980588 View attachment 980589
Those are fantastic bang-for-the-buck guitars and you can’t get more Les Paul than a Les Paul.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
USA Hamers are KILLER. when new, they were more money than current production Gibsons (or Fender). the reason is the Hamers were "boutique" production, modeled after the vintage guitars, built in fairly small numbers to supply working musicians with great guitars so you didn't have to take your 50,000 dollar vintage LP on the road. over the last 30 years I've owned 6, now down to 3. I've played them next to many high dollar guitars. Gibson, PERS custom shop and other boutique names... did not take a back seat to any

on the other hand.... Godin. I have 3. great guitars. best bang for the buck ever

EDIT: oooops... less than 1k bucks... sorry no soup for you. Hamer USAs will all be more than that. too bad, people don't know what they are missing on these fabulous guitars. if you find one, get it

Godin on the other hand can easily fill that bill. made in Canada/USA, all top notch parts, they play good, sound good

Last edited:

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
would be handy if you could read german

but maybe google translate could do the trick

Fluddman

Tele-Holic
Also check out the Eastman range. I recently bought an SB56 Goldtop and can't stop playing it!. Also check out the SB57 and SB59.

The quality is top notch and they are reasonably priced.

Worth a look!