1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help Me Like Springsteen

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Feb 22, 2021.

1. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I never disliked Springsteen. He's a great songwriter and his music was fine, just not someone I would seek out or think to put on the turntable. Then I saw him in concert and I understood what all the hype was about. I've seen hundreds of concerts and I've had the chance to see Springsteen 3 times now and he's blown me away every time.

Ron R, Milspec, Stringbanger and 2 others like this.
  2. percy

percy Tele-Meister

I could not have said it better.
    Although I may have added constipated to your description.

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Somewhere on a Springsteen Board someone is asking for help to like Junior Brown.

4. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I run hot and cold on the guy... mostly cold. He first got my attention with "Hungry Heart", but I couldn't do and entire album until Born In The USA. In that moment, I was a fan.

I tried to like his subsequent albums and just couldn't. It seemed as if he had his one "big one" and was destined to live of the success of his white t-shirt and blue jeans era, until...

Western Stars. He got me again. I'm still listening to it in heavy rotation... it's stunning! Where was he hiding this music for the last 35 years? It's an artistically mature work by an artistically mature songwriter. In my opinion, it rivals 'USA'.

That being said, I'm prepared to be sadly disappointed by his next album...

5. Chas3rd

Chas3rd TDPRI Member

The ONLY thing I like about Springsteens music is his former keyboardist David Sancious!

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i saw them twice on the 1978 tour and thought (and still think) it was the greatest rock and roll show in history. saw them once on the BitUSA tour and was utterly disappointed. i haven't been to another of his concerts.

i have recently realized there is just a certain spirit or vibe or tone or something in his best music. it's been there from the start and when i first heard it, something in me really welcomed it. and i used to try to turn everybody on to it, but it doesn't work on or appeal to everyone.

i don't try to persuade anybody to listen to him at all anymore. i've contributed my share and more to the springsteen family fortune.

joealso and Milspec like this.
  7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

People think he’s fake because he’s never been a factory worker but he writes about them a lot. He cops to that and laughs about it in his solo Broadway show, which is as much talking as music. It’s a literary device - he picks a basic type of character to write about to say whatever he wants to say. He does it really well and was hugely successful with it. But it’s not from his personal experience (although not far from his Dad’s or a lot of folks he grew up with (The River was based on his sister and brother-in-law) so people who don’t like him call him fake. A lot of great novelists have adopted characters or settings that are not directly theirs, but they use them to great effect. I see Bruce in much the same way.

-Ray

8. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

You don't have to, for example i don't like Queen at all, i survive nicely.:D:D:D

thunderbyrd likes this.
  9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw them twice on that tour also and I’d never seen anything like it. They were freaking amazing. But that set my expectations and that’s a hell of a set of expectation to live up to. The next time I saw him was on The River tour in 1980 and I was really disappointed, although the concert I was at was filmed and is now considered legendary. But I went back with my (now) wife on the Born In The USA tour in ‘84, and they were phenomenal (or my expectations had come back down to earth). Saw them in ‘88 and early ‘90’s without the E-Street band and was left sorta cold. But then saw him with E-Street again a few times between 2000 and about 2008 and they were great. Finally saw him in 2013 and they were pretty good, but I came out of it feeling like either he was too old to still be working that hard or I was too old to really appreciate it anymore, so I haven’t seen him since. But I watched his Broadway show on Netflix and really enjoyed it.

I’ll always love the guy - his music has been a big part of my life. And I’ll never apologize for it. At his best he came as close to capturing lightning in a bottle as anyone I’ve ever seen. So much good energy in some of those shows I thought I was gonna explode.

-Ray

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I've tried to like Rush and couldn't for the same reasons. If theirs were the only good music out there, I would try harder, because I respect their musicianship and they seem like cool guys. But there are so many other things in the world that seem just as worthwhile, I don't feel the need to study myself into an appreciation.

11. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Sorry... can’t help ya’ there.

12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rush is/was extremely talented. The problem with Rush is that they are rock & roll's sausage fest. The chicks just didn't dig Rush.

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Not sure we can help you like Springsteen any more than we can help you like broccoli, liver and onions, light brown M&Ms, or Miller Lite. Either ya do or ya don't.

I really like some of his earlier stuff. I haven't explored his catalog very deeply but now and then I hear something I like and I hear stuff I don't care for. I think "Springsteen" the product became bigger than the music itself, kind of like the Dave Matthews Band, etc.

But he is a great lyricist, perhaps an underrated guitarist, and the guy knows how to assemble a great band and put on a great show.

14. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I get what you're saying (and I agree 100% about modern country) but Springsteen's roots and formative years were very much blue collar.

15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

The biggest Rush fan I know is the biggest Springsteen fan I know as well. She also likes other “manly” things like football and beer. Anecdotes! Get yer red-hot anecdotes here!

Speaking of stories, Springsteen turned down the role of Forrest Gump so he’d have more time to stock his fallout shelter. Wouldn’t you know it? He ended up discovering a more efficient pasteurization process that revolutionized the food packaging industry.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  16. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Merle Haggard really went to prison.

But Johnny Cash never killed a man just to watch him die.

Jason Isbell says that his life isn't interesting enough that he can only write about his own experiences.

ale.istotle likes this.
  17. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

you say you run? Born to run?

18. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

I won't.

19. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Thanks to this thread, I've gone back and listened to some early Springsteen, which has got me thinking about his writing. On another platform I posted a live concert video of Pink Cadillac. Twenty five or so years ago I was playing harp in a band that stretched that tune out with multiple solos, because it always filled the dance floor.

The following is cross-posted from the discussion that followed:

It was The River album that turned me into a Springsteen fan. That's probably true for a lot of people. I missed entirely the 1975 cover of Time and Newsweek event, maybe because I read U.S. News and World Report. But after The River I went back and discovered earlier recordings. Depending on who you ask, either Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town is often considered the definitive recording. I'd go with Born to Run, although it's hard to disagree with Darkness.

I think what's so attractive about Bruce's music (especially the early albums), is his theology. It starts with life sucks. It's hard. His songs are full of people living on the edge, some working hard without seeing the results they want, some engaged in some sort of illegal behavior as a way of trying to get ahead, or maybe just to survive. But there's hope. While it might be hope that the next shady deal works out (see Meeting Across the River), it's often hope for redemption that comes from finding love. And it's hard to beat that.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    ale.istotle and thunderbyrd like this.
  20. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Though hs lifelong fans will disagree with you, I share your perspective. The Rolling Stone hype machine worked really hard for a couple of years to get the semi-caricature early Bruce established, and that became a juggernaut. But, IMO, Bruce and his band were anything but stagnant and stuck recycling their early work. IMO, they used their success and acceptance personally, musically, and socially not only to grow, but to contribute, in extraordinarily uplifting, powerful and real ways. Even when I would reflexively throw up hearing that tramps like us were born to run for time # 276,589 Springsteen and the band were building repertoire and vision and truthfulness, going deep, and they kept creating, creating, and creating. By the time Nebraska and so much more was out there, they had become something massive. Watch the "Ghost of Tom Joad" w/ Tom Morello joining, live, and it really speaks for itself in terms of authenticity, musicality, and humanity. Nobody makes music like that for money, or fame, or ego.

ale.istotle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.