Help me identify this speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cheeseman, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM.

1. cheeseman

cheeseman Tele-Meister

I can't remember where I got this - it's been hanging in my shop for ages. I recently bought a brand new DRRI, and was toying with the idea of doing some speaker swaps (I know, I know, just leave the damn thing ALONE!).

I think, and I'm probably way out to lunch here, that it may be a mid seventies Celestion (july 1978?). Not being sure, I turn to my ever so knowledgeable TDPRI family to steer me right. Any ideas? Did some Google snooping but can't find anything definitive.
    speaker1.jpg speaker2.jpg speaker3.jpg

2. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

The style of frame and the type of code let me think it is a canadian made speaker. Probably Marsland.
    Garnet amps had similar speakers with the same basket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: I found this post in https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/unknown-canadian-made-speaker-help.192929/

"I have this homemade 2x12 I bought some years back. Decided to crack it open to see what I was working with a noticed the speakers are Canadian made. Unfortunately that's all it says.
    The only information I can get from them is "DGD6", "Made In Canada" and I think it says "GL1250""

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    Wally and JayFreddy like this.
  3. cheeseman

cheeseman Tele-Meister

Boy, that looks identical, doesn't it? Even the speaker terminals are the same. I think you nailed it. Amazing...

Are they any good? It's dirty, but seems to be in good shape...

4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Until I saw the basket I thought it was an old Radio Shack speaker.

5. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

From the same site on a lower post : "D6 = April 76 GL1250 = Garnet Lead 12 inch 50 watts"

6. cheeseman

cheeseman Tele-Meister

That is amazing how fast you figured that out. Once again, TDPRI shocks me with the collective and individual knowledge!

That link also answers my question about it being any good!!! I guess I'll turn it into an ornament!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.