Help me identify this 2009 LP

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by eric_telemaque, Sep 28, 2020.

1. eric_telemaque

eric_telemaque TDPRI Member

Hello,

I waiting for the delivery of this 2009 Les Paul "junior-Special P-90".

Kinda bought it on a whim, a love-at-first-sight impulse buy. But now, as I'm trying to to know more on my new axe, I don't find much. Pictures from the seller:

hwpzd523hbw8poofv22p.jpg
    qzf53x9vzmr1bt4ch4yx.jpg

There's a mix of features that I can't find on guitars of this vintage:
    -Gloss nitro finish, not 'faded' (yuk)
    -Unbound neck
    -Tune-o-matic and stop bar
    -Plastic button tuners
    -"Les Paul Model" on the decal (not "special")
    -No "special" on the truss rod cover

This looks very much like Les Paul Exclusive made for Japan stores and Musician's Friend (save for the fretboard material, which I'm not sure of), except that those weren't made before 2010.

So if anyone has some knowledge on this model, that would be highly appreciated.

rangercaster and 63telemaster like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have no idea what Gibson calls it since they have messed up the designations of some guitars in comparison to what a guitar with roughly the same Characteristics. I don’t pay much attention to the model names anymore. If the guitar can be set up to play well, that is all that concerns me. the same is true for Fender.....there are so many models that I care not for anything except playability.
    In the mid-50s, that guitar would have been a Les Paul Special...all-mahogany body with a flat top and 2 x P90s. Of course, this one has a modern bridge and separate stop-tailpiece whereas the original had a single piece bridge with no separate tailpiece. Nice looking guitar. A single P90 would make it a Junior in those days.

rangercaster and eric_telemaque like this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

It looks like a 2018 LP Junior Special. Keep in mind that Gibson changed their serial number system. In 2009, it would have been that the first and fifth numbers combined gave you the year, ie, 01189047 would be '09.

But between 2014 and some time is 2018(?) they changed it to be the first two numbers are the year.

From Gibson:
    Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year.
    The new model year typically launches in the fall as the current model year winds down. It is not uncommon for a new model year model to be produced during the previous model year (example – a 2015 model may have been built in late 2014).

The pattern is as follows:
    YYRRRRRRR
    YY is the model year
    RRRRRRR is the number in product for the model year (starts at 0000001)

Not sure if this applies to your situation, but it does make it easy to mix up more recent model years.

Here's a 2018 LP Jr Sp.

https://reverb.com/item/35133536-used-gibson-les-paul-special-2018-electric-guitars-brown

4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had similar questions about my LP Studio, so I emailed Gibson with the serial no. They responded with some questions and a request for pictures, and when I responded they have me all the details.

eric_telemaque and xtelesquirex like this.
  5. eric_telemaque

It is stamped 2009 on the back of the headstock, I just didn't bother to upload the picture. :)
    So there's no doubt about that.

And the 2018 has keystone tuners.

backporchmusic likes this.
  6. eric_telemaque

Good advice! I'll be sure to do that the moment I receive the package.

teleplayr likes this.
  7. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

LP Specials have varied a lot over the years. I had a similar spec LP to yours in the mid 90's in Tobacco Sunburst. I believe that model was called a Les Paul Junior II and had 2 x P100 pickups, ABR1 Bridge and a bound neck with mini Grovers. Yours seems to be more true to original design with button tuners although it lacks the neck binding and wrap around bridge of the '50s Special.

P100 pickups had a bit of a bad rep because they didn't really sound much like genuine P90s but it was still a decent sounding guitar. I eventually bought a refinished '57 Junior which was a very different guitar. Be interested to know what pickups are in yours.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There ya go...Junior Special!!! For a vintage Gibson person, that is simply hilarious!!!!! By that nomenclature, it should have THREE P90s!!! Lol....

9. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

It looks similar to a Honey Burst LP Special P-90 that I bought from MF about a year ago. What puzzles me is why 2009 is stamped on the back of your headstock. That's where the serial number should be.

Les Paul Special P-90.JPG

10. backporchmusic

For a time, Gibson stamped a serial and year of manufacture on the back of the headstock. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  11. eric_telemaque

63telemaster, you know what? I had the exact same model, in Heritage Cherry. With the P100 and all!
    Still feel stupid for selling it when I turned to techno music for a short while in the late 90's :twisted:

This purchase is full-on nostalgia of that guitar. The new one has proper P90s, as I've learned to know and love them since then.

63telemaster likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Two soapbars and one dogear. :D

Gibson lost their way when it came to seeing consistency in product naming as a marketing asset. Over the last few (at least) years they've seriously abused the "Custom" name.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    eric_telemaque and Wally like this.
  13. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know that. I went and checked my Gibsons and sure enough a couple of them do have that stamp. I never noticed it before.

I swear I learn something new on TDPRI every day.

14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

How many pickups would a Junior Special Custom Standard have?

I remember that guitar getting pretty widely mocked when they rolled it out, due to the name.

- D

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It's a standard Gibson model, despite the idiotic combining of Junior and Special, which were different guitars. As others have said, it's basically a Special with TOM and stop tail and without binding. IIRC these had a 60s slim taper neck profile instead of the rounder, fatter 50s profile of many Specials.

16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah, I've got an LP Studio 60s Tribute from 2011 with the year stamped on it. That's the first one I ever got that had the year on it.

- D

17. backporchmusic

18. backporchmusic

Well, then it just reverts back to none and is a slope shouldered acoustic. It's very simple really.

StrangerNY likes this.
  19. eric_telemaque

20. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.