1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me ID an old speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by toomanymods, Feb 25, 2021.

1. toomanymods

toomanymods TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I have this old cab that I believe is a Fender Bassman or Showman. It's a sealed 1x15" with this strange speaker in it. It appears to be a P15L, but the manufacturer code (468) doesn't match anything I can find. Jensen is supposed to be 220xXX for their 6-digit speaker codes so I'm a little lost. Oxford is 465, but nothing matches 468. Jensen DID make a P15L for PA usage back in the day so that's my guess.

Attached Files:

uriah1 likes this.
  2. timfred

timfred Tele-Meister

Cinaudagraph. Super rare. Probably out of a jukebox. 9 in date code is likely 1949.

Telekarster, toomanymods and uriah1 like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

If it didnt have mfg code, I would say Utah alnico.
    But codes dont lie. Timfred..prob right

4. toomanymods

toomanymods TDPRI Member

Alright, this matches up - Thanks! I'd never heard of this company before, apparently they made some 27" woofers among other things.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Regarding that 27” speaker, in doing some research because of your query, I found that the actual size of that speaker is 24”.

6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I'm curious to know what that might sound like pumping through a tubie. I just saw one of these for the first time and as I understand it, they were used a lot in juke boxes and intercomm wall hanger boxes of the day etc. Fat alnico bell on the back but the speaker is only like 10 watts or something, and they came in some oddball ohms too... anyone ever tried one of these out?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.