1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me guys I screwed up (broken screw extraction)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dannew02, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

The screw is broken off in there and I've tried several things to get it out-heat, (holding a soldering iron on it) oil, drilling it out and cutting a slot on top to unscrew it. All I'm doing is scratching up thetop of the guitar. As soon as I can find someone with a drill press I can borrow I'm going to use the tool from Rockler to drill it out, and plug the hole up.

2. customxke

customxke Tele-Meister

Hobby shops.
    http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brass_tubing_422_ctg.htm

It doesn't really function as a plug cutter, as very little wood, beyond splinters, is removed. It removes the screw, and not the wood, which is why I prefer it. For what it's worth, its a Dan Erlewine trick.

3. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I found a Rockler store fairly close to me. Man that was a bad idea... All that pretty wood, and more tools than I have any business getting. Anyway I have my cutter and now I just need to find someone who will let me borrow their drill press... Although, they did have them at the Rockler...

ForumRunner_20120924_161500.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I510 using TDPRI

4. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

And don't that if you use a lubricate on the screw,breaking a screw won't happen as often.most people use a little bar soap. It does seem that the screws we buy today are not very well made

5. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

That's exactly why I'm in this spot, the one time I didn't lube the screw I broke it off. Duh. Lesson learned...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using TDPRI

6. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

OK so I finally got the use of a drill press, so I got rid of my broken screw.

ForumRunner_20121208_211503.jpg

ForumRunner_20121208_211541.jpg

The screw stuck to the cutter, it got hot enough that it was smoking and the cutter got all dark. It for sure removed it, though. Now I'm cleaning out the hole in order to dowel it back up. With any luck I won't screw anything else up and I'll be playing this by christmas.

Where's my Tele?

7. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I got the dowel glued in there pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    I may have cut my plug a little long though...
    [​IMG]
    It just kind of stunk that I had to get a 3-foot long piece of dowel when I needed about 1.5". I hope to not need to plug holes again later, but knowing my skill level it's not like I'm gonna get rid of the wood.
    I have a question though-once I get the plug cut to the right length, and get it reasonably level, do I have to get it really flat (like with wood filler or something) because 100% of it will be hidden under the bridge. It's not like I'm gonna try to hide it or anything.

8. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty funny. lol I might have used a little bit of super glue instead though. Was the dowel a tight fit?

You could just cut the dowel level with the body and be done. When I have had to plug a neck hole, I use a really thin saw that I bought from Woodcraft. It's called a flush saw. Very handy for cutting dowels flush with the surrounding wood.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.