1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me find the perfect amp...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MountainTwang, Feb 5, 2019.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you mainly want good clean tones there's any number of amps that will do. Lots of analog, solid state amps
    out there that produce a great clean tone. Crate, Fender, Orange, Vox, Roland, Peavey, etc., in many shapes and sizes.
    If I were in your shoes rather than focus on the perfect I would focus on just finding a good deal on an amp
    that pleases you. You will probably never find perfect, but you can definitely find "works just fine". Like
    the Rolling Stones lyric-- "you can't always get what you want but if you try sometime you just might find, you
    get what you need". Forget about the dirt channel, if there is one, and focus on the clean and how it sounds with pedals.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I agree with what you said except for this part "Forget about the dirt channel". The Crate Vintage 50 does a GREAT dirty channel as well as pristine cleans. Everyone that plays mine is blown away with the clean and gain channels and they just can't believe how good it sounds. With 50 watts, you can use it in any venue. I swear, this is a sleeper amp. If I didn't already have one, I wouldn't be telling the world how good they are. I gave $300 for mine and I don't regret it a bit. I drove 100 miles round trip to get it even while having a stable of excellent to decent amps already. It's a high end sounding amp at a low end price.

3. chris m.

Sometimes the dirt channel can be good but my point was to focus primarily on the clean sound and get the one he likes the best. Because often pedals will yield just as good or better results than most dirt channels- even on some higher end tube amps, I might add.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It's over there.

5. MountainTwang

MountainTwang TDPRI Member

I appreciate all the information and advice! I've got a line on a Orange CR60 for sale locally. Going to go play through it this weekend. I'll report back. I watched some videos on the CR60 last night and was very impressed. The one for sale near to me is priced right. We shall see.

6. chris m.

The CR60 is a very good possibility! If I didn't already have an Orange tube head (AD-50) I would be all over the CR series.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.