Help me find the perfect amp...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MountainTwang, Feb 5, 2019.

1. MountainTwang

MountainTwang TDPRI Member

This should be fun.

I need a new amp and I'd like to list out my criteria and open the floor for any and all suggestions. I play an American Standard Tele and 70% of the time, I'm on the bridge pickup. I play mainly country and I love clean tone or just on the edge of breakup.

Here are my criteria:

-Tubes or solid state are great. I'm not a fan of modeling.
    -Amp will need to do double duty at church. I play rhythm electric in the worship band.
    -Easy portability is important.
    -I play gigs anywhere from 10-15 people to a few hundred.
    -My pedal board has a tuner, overdrive, delay, compressor, reverb, and volume pedal.
    -I am not loyal to any brand in particular.
    -My budget is $500 or less. We're a single income family with 3 daughters :)

Thanks a million, everyone! I'll report back when I pull the trigger with a NAD review.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

VOX AD30VT.

THE perfect amp, in terms of great sound, versatility, affordability, dependability, portability/low weight/small footprint.

Whoops, you said not a modeling fan. Ok.
    DV Mark FGC121
    Weights like, nothing, sounds awesome.

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Three daughters, does it have to be pink?

4. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Holic

The perfect amp does not exist.

Wally, zephyrR1, uriah1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. MountainTwang

MountainTwang TDPRI Member

Nope, but my middle daughter has her eye on a pink strat.

john_cribbin and JayFreddy like this.
  6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

New I recommend the Boss Katana 100. Either the 112 combo or the head with the built-in 5" speaker.

With the head, you can use the internal speaker for home practice and leave the cab(s) at church or the band rehearsal space... Or both.

Or if you don't mind a little weight, get a Peavey Bandit.

Shuster likes this.
  7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Shuster likes this.
  8. RegularJim

RegularJim TDPRI Member

Peavey Bandit

hdvades, Shuster and JayFreddy like this.
  9. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

10. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Roland JC 40 has two 10" speakers and lots of built in effects for $600. Maybe find one used to fit your budget? It was just reviewed on That Pedal Show.

11. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Get a used tweed Blues Jr. Don't believe all the negative hype. Portability is relative. To me, it's portable. To my mom, probably not so much.

12. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

If you can mike the amp for larger gigs there are a number of choices. If you can't or choose not too, things are different. You would also need to take in to consideration if you are going to go thru the monitors on those gigs, of if you need the amp to be audible to yourself and others on stage. You also may want to check w/ your worship leader/sound crew on what is acceptable on that gig, many places are going to a "no amp" or "no amps on stage" policy. It would be a bummer to factor (or not)that into the equation and then have them say they are going in that direction. This is a lot to ask of of one piece of gear.

Without doing specifics, you might consider a head w/ multiple cabs; this isn't a bad lift when split although you would probably need to go used to make this fly on your budget, but 100 watt SS heads are pretty cheap used & SS plays nice at low volumes. You could use a 1X12 for home practice & small gigs, a 4x12 might be available at the larger gigs thru provided back line, or from another act or you could rent one if this is an ocassional thing. For church you could either use the 1x12 or use the line out ( most newer amps seem to have one) and play thru the house/monitors. Since you are running SS you wouldn't need to worry about a dummy load for the speaker out.

If you are going all in on being miked and using FOH and monitors just pick any amp w/ a 10 or 12" speaker that sounds good to you and fits your budget, any of the bigger Peavey SS combos would work, the 40 watt 1x10 Envoy is a very light lift, and is gigable under those conditions, and wont blow you out of the house, but other makers have something similar. A Pro Junior would get you in to tubes, mate well with your pedal board and be equally as portable, if a bit heavier but can be a bit much for home use, as it lacks a master volume; although your compressor would help keep a lid on things to some degree. For a 12" speaker the 15 watt Monoprice is well with in budget and has the advantage of switchable power level and master volume. Used Blues Juniors would also be within budget, and are a popular choice for many. A used PV Classic would also be within budget and give a bit more oooph.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  13. JGD5150

JGD5150 TDPRI Member

Used Fender HR Deluxe or Marshall DSL40C/CR.

14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

if you were in Montana I would direct you toward the Gibson GA-15RV that's on craigslist here for $400. 15 watts (switchable to 5), reverb and a V30. I want to buy this thing despite the fact that I have no earthly use for it.

After that I would go for any 15-20 watt tube amp with a master volume. Blues Jr, AC10, Origin 20c would all do the trick. Really, I would point you toward the AC15c1 -- one of the big net retailers has got new demos for under $500, can't remember which one -- except for the portability factor. It's a 50 pound 15 watt amp. It's my amp of choice these days, though. Great sounding amp.

15. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

My answer to everything is a Vox MV50 and whichever cab. Or see what you get for one of your daughters, then take it from there.

dustoff likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I have the answer. This one is in SW Va but not that far from you.

https://swva.craigslist.org/msg/d/saltville-crate-2x12-tube-amp/6807975868.html

The black Crate Vintage 50s are the better ones with the bugs of the cream ones worked out. Now, you may read "Crate" and roll your eyes unless you've played one of these. Two channels... Clean and Gain. Both are amazingly good. These amps are not cheapo amps, they're still-hidden gems for the money. 4 EL84 power tubes and, I believe, 4 12AX7 preamp tubes. The speakers are specially made and voiced for these amps. Mark Knopfler played these for awhile. They have dual reverbs, one for each channel and the channels can be switched. Master volume to crank it at lower levels. I have a cream Vintage 20 and a black Vintage 50. I also have a deLisle Studio 15, a custom made head, a Swart MkII, a Fender Bassman 70 and a Music Man 60R. The Crate can go head to head with any of them. It's a REALLY great head for the money. I'd try to get that one for closer to $250 cash, considering the drive and it's been listed for 6 days already. Just make sure it works well before heading up there and see if he has the pedal to switch between channels. He probably doesn't and that's why you should be able to snag it for around $250.

You're welcome. :)

17. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ooops, no modelers ;)

18. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic

Orange Crush 35RT or a Peavey Bandit.

19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Vox AC15VR.

Well mannered, when you want her to be.

And a loud beast, when she wants to be.

It's inside your budget range, and the cleanest clean ever.
    And she'll get dirty, oh so dirty.

:)

20. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

Fender Bassbreaker 007 !!

REWTX likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.