Help Me Find Some Fresh Blues-Rock?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Crashbelt, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

I am a devout blues rock fan, consider myself lucky to have lived in the era of Vaughan-James-Healey-Cray-Tbirds-Omar-Winter. Since 8-27-90, there really hasn't been a lot to get excited about. Not on the level of those guys.

If you are not well versed in the Allman Brothers entire catalog, you need to do that. Then you need to dig into everything JD Simo has done, especially his most recent album, Off At 11. Then move onto the following, not in any order :

Flash in the pans:

Ian Moore - great 1st album, 1 listenable song on the 2nd, nothing since.

Corey Stevens - ditto

Gary Moore - always trying to find a way to superstardom, he filled the SRV slot as best he could. Too many notes, and like Gatton, he just tried too hard instead of being himself.

Jonny Lang - came out of the gate strong, petered out by the 2nd album.

Shannon Kurfman - a running buddy of Lang's, SHE (yes she, at 13!) produced a great 1st album and then faded fast.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - once Mark Selby stopped feeding him songs, he was doomed. Plus he married Mel Gibson's daughter, so he didn't need to work very hard. His albums like the others, diminished quickly.

Outright Terrible :

Gary Clark Jr - can't sing, can't play, can't write, But gee, he sure looks BLUESY eh? Love that tattered hat that probably cost $1000.

The Maybes :

Marcus King - so talented to be so young, good voice for the genre, but can't write a decent song to save his life. Maybe with time that will change.

Samantha Fish - she works harder than anybody, that has to pay off someday.

Tedeschi Trucks - best guitarist alive, best female vocalist alive, no decent material. If they ever hire a songwriter, LOOKOUT! But until then, fast forward for Derek's guitar solos.

The best bands you've never heard of :

Delta Generators - sadly, their best-voice-I've-heard-in-30 years singer quit, but they got a good replacement from the Radio Kings (A T-birds clone band, they were good). Good songs, GREAT guitar playing, WHY this band isn't big I'll never know.

Hadden Sayers - the best all around guitar god to come out of Texas since Stevie himself. Hadden writes great songs, can play his ass off, great voice.

Cold Blue Steel - an old band of which at least half of them are dead.. but those 2 albums they made are solid gold.

Colin James - SRV's protege, after SRV died he didn't come to the states much... and he changed direction going in a pop vein, but now he's back to blues rock. The true heir to the SRV throne. Also the pioneer in the big band rock sound that made Brian Setzer famous.

BB Chung King and the Screamin' Buddaheads - Alan Mirikitani was a BEAST of a writer, player and singer. He died in his studio a few years ago, but he left behind a solid catalog of great music.

Brian Volante - no originals yet, but if you need a SRV fix, he's your guy. He's the closest in sound and technique I've heard.

That should keep you busy... let me know if you need more.

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  2. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

Track One from Colin James' Miles To Go:

3. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Stratohacker likes this.
  4. Grey_Melbourne

Grey_Melbourne TDPRI Member

5. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I'm glad you mentioned her- or I would have. A powerhouse player.

6. danzigdan

danzigdan TDPRI Member

Jared James Nichols.

7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Haven't seen the Sheepdogs mentioned yet...

8. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Gin Mill Cowboy likes this.
  9. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

10. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Finally! I scrolled through this thread thinking “nobody is recommending JD?”
    I was this show. JD is a great player, the band is amazing, and he is super nice. He was telling me that he using an amp that belonged to Albert Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stratohacker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.