Help Me Find Some Fresh Blues-Rock?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Crashbelt, Jul 17, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep. Post-rock stuff is what I find sounds fresh.
    Blues and rock are both pretty much played out.

But then I go and listen to bands like this, locally (these guys are from Milw)

...and I find myself having a blast in some tiny divebar and feeling like I'm 19

Crashbelt, 8barlouie and BorderRadio like this.
  2. blowtorch

oh and hey, checked out the new Black Keys? I know they've got a least one great track on there:

Crashbelt, 8barlouie and BorderRadio like this.
  3. blowtorch

heck i get inspired just listening to some youtube amp/guitar/pedal demo clips.
    Maybe not somuch the chops/technique, as the original grooves they are laying down

I dunno. Great stuff is all around. If it doesn't do it for you, maybe it's time to turn into a prog guy? :)

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just easily jazzed

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Crashbelt likes this.
  4. User Name:

User Name: TDPRI Member

Crashbelt likes this.
  5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Crashbelt and Nubs like this.
  6. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Crashbelt likes this.
  7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great thread! I’m so proud of you folks! I saw the title of the thread and figured oh, what the heck, let’s do some troll spotting. I’m blown away by all the great suggestions. This will keep me busy for awhile.

Crashbelt likes this.
  8. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister

How about Earthless?

9. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone - I didn't expect such a great load of replies to my OP.

I'll set some serious time aside to go through all the ideas. Not many I know, although I really like Larkin Poe who came up a few times.

Brilliant stuff people:D:D

10. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

He’s already been mentioned, but this is my favorite Gary Clark jam... it’s a few years old now.

Poorman512 and Nubs like this.
  11. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted

This has to be one of the last things Gregg recorded. Just a solid groove song with some very tasty slide from Charlie Starr. A groove that comes from almost 20 years of playing together

Nubs likes this.
  12. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I ran across this Jonte Short, David Steel tune the other day. I like how the drums kind of jump out in front of the song. Anyway, it was fresh to me.

13. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

Some times what’s old is new again .
    I know this is not what this thread is about but I don’t hear this as a generic style.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Are you talking only about currently gigging/recording bands? Because there is a whole crap-ton of blues-rock stuff 1000X better than anything you listed, if you simply look backwards in time.

LooseJack likes this.
  15. Spacemanspiff500

Spacemanspiff500 TDPRI Member

Try some Aaron Lee tasjan. Ready to die, or dangerous kind. Its blues influenced rock but some of his stuff has a Tom Petty feel. Your not going to find a lot of mind blowing guitar but its got groove.

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My unquantified feeling after 50 years of playing blues and rock, is that blues-rock tends to treat semitones the same general way as whole-steps, and minor thirds in melodies and solos, while blues uses semitones in much more unique and stylistic situations. For example, downward runs are a mainstay in both blues and blues-rock, as countless examples show. But in blues, the intervals in runs tend not to be semitones, while they are common in blues-rock. Many clarifications are needed here, of course. For example, I am not referring to chromaticism, such as with passing tones. Nor am I referring to the way that musicians goose the tritone with mini bends; nor am I talking about harmony and chord tones; nor am I talking about teasing microtones out of bends, a la Albert King. I am just talking about the generic melodic aspect of stepwise motion, which occurs in almost all music most of the time. In blues, the steps can be major seconds or minor thirds (such as with the minor pent that underlies the majority of standard blues melodies). But, that doesn't mean that the blues has to restrict itself to the minor pent. It is easy to find many examples of notes that are a minor second apart, but not played in sequence. For example (in A blues): A D B A C D E has the semitone B-C separated in the sequence by an intervening note A. Without the intervening note A, we have A D B C D E. Try playing these with your best blues sound and see if you don't agree that A D B A C D E sounds more idiomatic to the blues than A D B C D E, which has more of a modal, European, folk-derived or Gypsy-influenced scale-like sound. Some blues musicians refer to this sound as "schooled," I recall.

I'm not doing such a good job explaining this, but try playing those two A blues passages and see which is blues and which is blues-rock (according to my sensibilities, at least). By the way, these differences are not because they are two different scales or modes, since they use exactly the same notes, just in a different order.

To reiterate, blues does use semitones often, and in significant ways. But these instances seem to be restricted to chromaticism, microbends, tritone goosing, major third/minor third interchanging, and short little "worrying" bits. ("Worrying" is a great blues soloing concept that I don't hear talked about too much. Ronnie Earle gives it its due in one of his instructional videos from back in the day. Ronnie Earle knows as much about the flow, energy, and emotional structure of blues improvising as anybody. He may not be flashy much of the time, but he is real and knows how to dig for it. That's where his worrying with semitones appear.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

This is what the album version sounds like. A better version and the whole album is fantastic.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

That was supposed to be the same song and when trying to find the album version of the "Titled song it just goes back to this one.
    You'll just have to get the album.
    Here's another:

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I forgot to recommend Joanna Connor. Originally from Boston, she took the bus to Chicago in the early 1980s, and wound up playing with Junior Wells in Dion Payton's 43rd Street Blues Band at the Checkerboard, owned by Buddy Guy (I never knew what Junior Wells's involvement with the club was). The club is where the short film of the Stones sitting in with Muddy was made. Not sure if the 43rd Street band was working in the Checkerboard at that point. It may have been a few years later. At any rate, Connor played rhythm behind Payton, as well as stepping up to play slide a few times a night. She also played a non-slide solo (Les Paul through the ubiquitous Twin that was the Chicago standard in the 80s) now and then, usually if Payton broke a string or something.

Payton ran an extremely tight ship and was very choosy about who he would let step up to solo. Continuing with my Dion Payton worship (I mentioned him in an earlier post), I often remember the time a younger kid on trombone had been standing off to the side of the stage for a couple of hours, staying warmed up, but not coming forward until, finally, Dion gave him the nod, without warning. He had not even seemed to notice the kid all night, then, bam, "you're up!" This was all non-verbal, of course. Well, the poor kid didn't even finish a phrase before Payton crowded him off the mic and took over the solo himself. Tough world. But if you think about it, it is insulting to a musician of Payton's caliber that such a green, inexperienced player with bad time thinks that Payton is not so good that the kid can't sit in for a bit.

Fast forward 30-40 years, and I'll bet the trombone player is professionally active.

20. percy

percy TDPRI Member

A Band from Calgary Alberta
    16 years young!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.