Help me find a new speaker for my 6g2 clone.

Gris

Tele-Meister
Adding this one to the list ;)
Again, the ‘book’ on the 6G2 is that it’s mid focused and works best with a flatter EQ spkr. The GB is another mid focused spkr. But if you think you wanna go that route (i wouldn’t) i have a custom made Weber version you can have way cheap.

TheDams

Tele-Holic
Again, the ‘book’ on the 6G2 is that it’s mid focused and works best with a flatter EQ spkr. The GB is another mid focused spkr. But if you think you wanna go that route (i wouldn’t) i have a custom made Weber version you can have way cheap.
No, don't get me wrong, I didn't decide anything yet. I just don't know this speaker and didn't have time yet to check its EQ...

I agree, a flatter EQ is better.

I am trying to select among all these suggestions.
Still looking/leaning towards the G12C or the 12F150. Have to look at their EQ too...

Narrowing to a 50W+, probably ceramic. No smooth cone.

You were talking about the 12F150 with a slightly smaller magnet. Which model is that?

Gris

Tele-Meister
No, don't get me wrong, I didn't decide anything yet. I just don't know this speaker and didn't have time yet to check its EQ...

I agree, a flatter EQ is better.

I am trying to select among all these suggestions.
Still looking/leaning towards the G12C or the 12F150. Have to look at their EQ too...

Narrowing to a 50W+, probably ceramic. No smooth cone.

You were talking about the 12F150 with a slightly smaller magnet. Which model is that?
I have had them specially made. It’s not on their menu.

TheDams

Tele-Holic
I have had them specially made. It’s not on their menu.
So you had a custom made ? you asked for 12F150 with a slightly smaller mag, how smaller exactly ? was it still within a reasonable price range ?
Otherwise, I might give a try to a 12F125 or 150, as they seem mid-scooped ? (am I correct ?).

The 12A125 is still tempting as I read a few reviews of people using it in a 6g2 with good results, and describe it as "firm lows, the right amount of mids and smooth treble"... which sounds like what I am looking for...

Powdog

Tele-Meister
The Weber 12A125S has a 10 rib pulp cone which will give you a tighter “less flubby” bottom end. It’s about as close to a Vintage Jensen P12P as you can get. A really great speaker.

Gris

Tele-Meister
I’m all about the pulp cones, but only because i play very loud. For this amp I’d go Weber Cali paper dome.

TheDams

Tele-Holic
After a week of playing/breaking in, I finally come back to give an update.

I put it in a Blackheart open cab that I have since a few years. So far, I am really pleased with it !
It is not 100% broken in yet, but it is starting to sound the way I like.
Low ends are not too flubby, quite tight actually. Nice mids - fairly balanced -, smooth highs, not ear piercing.
Nice “American“ tone, but not BF glassy.

Overall, and again so far, this is what I was looking for.