Help me find a Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jim603, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I have been bitten by the Special bug. I gotta have a P-90 guitar and it has to be a double cut. I really want a Les Paul Special, and it has to have "The Look." It has to be TV yellow or white, and have the small pickguard and wraparound bridge. The only one Gibson make is the historical custom shop version, which is waaaaaay out of my budget at $3800. The rest have different shaped horns, or a big plastic pickguard.
    I have seen knockoffs by Harley Benton and Firefly, and those are on the other end of the spectrum, and while they look ok, I am curious to see what else is available. My budget is around $600-$700.
    Does anyone know of any other juniors or specials? Two P90s would be ideal but one is ok.

edit- I’m looking for a non-Gibson model, since the real deal is way above my budget.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Just check Reverb every day. One will pop up.

Alternatively, keep an eye out here too in the classifieds.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

You might have some trouble finding one that fits your exact specs at that price point if you're sticking with Gibson. I have seen some from around 2010ish that do, but they sold for double what you're looking to pay. They also don't seem to come up too often. Those 2015s might come closest.

5. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

You’re right, that’s why I’m looking for non-Gibson alternatives. Hopefully someone knows of a good quality copy that is pretty close to the original.

edit- I guess I didn’t make that clear in my original post so I will update it. Thanks for the replies so far.

6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

IMG_20190415_134130.jpg

Treynor, Piggy Stu and tubelectron like this.
  7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

EDIT: Sorry; I misread the OP's original post and thought he wanted a Singlecut Special, not a Double Cut, and I put info in on Singlecut versions. Should have waited until that first cup of coffee kicked in.:oops:

I'm still hoping for a Gibson USA Doublecut Special at some point in the future; I was kind of surprised that they dropped the Singlecut Special Tributes in January so you never know.

tonyj likes this.
  8. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

PRS SE II Soapbar. P90 snarl, well built, excellent playability, wraparound bridge, won’t break the bank.

Attached Files:

9. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

That’s pretty nice, it ticks many of the boxes. I think this one might be on my short list. Thanks for that. :)

10. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Gibson Les Paul double cut, faded (2004)

IMG_20190427_195254 (3).jpg

I bought this guitar ~2.5 years ago. I've been nothing but happy with it. At the time I was also considering an SG Special listed at the same dealer for a little more money. My LPDC is 6.2 lbs and has the '50s neck which is larger and has a rounded profile.
    I owned a LPDC back in ~1998 that was gloss finish, bound neck and full thickness body. Wish I had kept it!
    Like others, I did some research on other brands that have guitars similar to the LPDC. Hamer has some good stuff but also hard to find.
    The faded models used to be cheap but judging from the Reverb ad posted about, they no longer are. I've read the early 2000s faded SGs and LPDCs are considered to be good. My LPDC is the only guitar I can remember buying that needed nothing. I was told the frets had been leveled and the guitar had been set up, but you never know...
    Good luck in your search. I fear you may have to raise you budget, or get lucky.

Mark

Edit: One more thought. the neck on my LPDC, faded is very stable/stiff and holds tune well. This may be from having the larger '50s neck. I was a little surprised as this was not what I was expecting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    scrimmer, uriah1 and Bruxist like this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

there are tons of clones out there. just take a look around

12. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

Great! Can you suggest any?

13. blowtorch

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  14. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I did google it.;) I didn’t come up with many alternatives that meet my criteria and fit my budget, so I figured I’d ask a great group of guitar enthusiasts if they had any suggestions.
    I do like the look of the guitar you linked, but the deliberate omission of any picture of the front of the headstock raises the red flags for me. :eek:

15. blowtorch

For three and a quarter, you can't ask for everything...
    That's standard for a lot of these chinese companies, so they don't get sued. if you inquire, they may send you a shot of the headstock, and chances are about even that it may actually say "Gibson" on there

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  16. blowtorch

Oh. If you can find a Gladiator or an Austin LP special, grab it

Another idea is to look through Harley Benton's offerings

cripes no one ever gave me all these tips. d'ya want me to play it for ya, too?? :)

17. misirlou

misirlou NEW MEMBER!

18. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.