Help me find a jazz bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by rainbowbear998, Dec 28, 2017.

1. rainbowbear998

rainbowbear998 Tele-Meister

I'm considering putting my guitar related purchases on hold for a while to get a new bass (although the lovely deluxe reverb at my local music store is calling to me...). I play lots of jazz and funk, so I'm looking at a j bass, but not sure whether I should go fender or if another brand does it better for around $1500 AUD (about $1100 USD). The one thing that's kind of important for me is weight - I'm looking for something that isn't too heavy, after killing my shoulder doing three hour gigs with my massively heavy Warwick RockBass corvette doublebuck.

So... what do you recommend?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a (import) PRS Kestrel bass.
    It has Jazz Bass electronics, but has a neck-through construction, a 2 + 2 straight pull headsrock, a nice bound rosewood fingerboard, and Hipshot hardware.
    I like it a lot.
    It doesn’t look like a Jazz bass, but it behaves like a good one.
    I like the way it “hangs” in playing position on the strap.
    It’s not real heavy, either.
    Perhaps you could find a gently used one.
    Regardless, it should be less expensive than an MIA Jazz bass.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    nojazzhere likes this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

You might take a look at what G&L has to offer. The used USA models would be well within your budget as would new Tribute models. The Tribute model L2000 and L2500 basses are both incredibly versatile and well within your price range new with case.

If it absolutely has to be a Jazz Bass style body and pickups then I would suggest the USA JB syle will do that and again you'll find them used for $1100 or less. Or another option is the Tribute Series MJ-4.

http://www.glguitars.com/

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/JB/index.asp

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/MJ-4/index.asp

I have a Tribute L2500 5 string and it is a very high value bass. The L Series Basses actually use the same pickups and bridge the USA models do but they are built by Cortek in Indonesia for G&L based on G&L specs as are all other Tribute Models.

Hope this helps.

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I have a Fender J bass - it's a "Geddy Lee" model, black, white pick guard, maple neck with black oblong inlays. The neck is slimmer than standard and I love the sound of it via my Ashdown combo. I'm still learning but this, for me, is the best bass I could find for the money and I love the look of it.

Incidentally, yes I am a huge Rush fan but no, I didn't buy it because it's Geddy's signature model. I didn't even see the signature decal until I'd decided on it against a Music Man, an Ibanez and a Yamaha.

5. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Here a link to the MARUSZCZYK INSTRUMENTS "Elwood" (Jazz) Basses...
    https://public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/4-string

You see what's possible, how much they weight and what they coast (in EURO).
    Don't know about the tax in Australis. Prices incl. 19% German tax. So, they are "cheaper" for you (but you have to add Austrailan custom and tax).
    Even in Germany Adrian Maruszczyk only delivers with Fedex (not cheapest but one of the best).

The basses are made in Poland (where Adrian came from).
    His shop (where all basses on stock can be tested is near Cologn (Western Germany).
    Custom PUs, colour +++ are no problem (see link). I have two MARUSZCZYK basses (34" Elwood JB and 32" Jake PB). My JB has an alder body but the body looks like it is alder with soft "tiger stripes".
    MARUSZCZYK basses can be seen (and heard) on German TV shows.
    His basses have a "softly tilted" head, so there are no string trees...

I only know that Adrian also exports to the USA.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

FWIW....I've owned and played a few basses over the years....Fender Jazz (3), P-Basses(3), B,C.Rich, Epiphone Rivoli, Hofner, and a few others I can't recall. The only one I still have because it pleased me the most, is a Korean Fender Squier P-bass that I bought in a pawnshop for $100 years ago. Plywood body, very lightweight and comfortable, I changed to good quality tuners, and put flatwound strings. Oh yeah, I put a tortoise-shell pickguard on, 'cause they sound so much better. KISS! (Keep It Simple Stupid) Truly, with bass....less is more.

7. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Not exactly a JB, but I love my ESP/LTD D5, is a fantastic instrument, nice, not too heavy and good sounding. There's a 4 string version I guess.
    Warwicks are cool, for sure, but I think that the good ones are too expensive for my taste (everything music related is expensive here).
    But if you actually want a JB, go with the real deal...

8. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Here is a photo of my MARUSZCZYK Elwood bass...
    I modified it with the covers and knobs...
    My Elwood has two DELANO JB humbuckers (which sound 95% like real J SCs). Not splittable like DiMarzios! They only have two output wires.

Oh yes; they all have a "zero fret" (hope that's the richt translation?).

Maruszczyk-Elwood-201003.jpg

P.S.: The body looks like normal alder or with the stripes when tilted.

68Telebass likes this.
  9. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

20171228_163505.jpg Sexy! Here it's mine:

10. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Holic

I loved my Geddy - sold it by accident. I miss that bass.

11. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

A G&L JB-2 is like a jazz bass on steroids. Great basses.

I also like the Fender Geddy Lee models (both the MIM and MIA versions).

12. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Hi ... Without going into wherefores and why's ... I've had a cheap Ibanenez, Fender Am. Sp. Jazz and currently have the Squire SS Jag bass.

If this helps ... I wouldn't go for a Fender Am. Sp. Jazz, I hated the treble bleed and even after taking it out and wiring it as a Std. Jazz I found the pickups weak cf to the cheaper Ibanez I'd traded it for. (The Squire is fine , the PB pu's fine but Jazz one is poor)

So,.if AUS $1500 is worth what I think it'll buy here ... No prob with MIM Fender Jazz but, when I bought my Am. Sp.one .... the sales assistant insisted that, for half the price, a Cort model (can't remember which one) was far superior!

Also, if I was buying now at that money I'd look for a used Fender Am. Std. or a Lakland 44-64 or similar.

Given your weight concern ... Fender Stratocaster is one of the few 34" semi-hollow basses, loads more but Danelectro '64 (think it's a semi?) or a Hofner Club might work too.

13. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

A J bass on steriods izza P bass.
    Most of the fatter pickups are designed as P sounds, not Js.
    I think the OP wants skinny pickups, two of them.
    The Giddys' nice, the Mexis' are nice, and frankly the Squier CV is good.
    If it were me I'd go P&J, best of both, and get the Godin bass.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  14. soulman969

Not a G&L JB. It's as close to a Fender Jazz as you're likely to get skinny pickups and all. [​IMG]
    Alnico V '60s voiced pickup, 9.5" radius neck w/satin finish, nickel silver frets, and a Leo Fender designed Saddle Lock bridge that IMHO tops any bridge Fender has ever used.

They are great basses.

Hexabuzz likes this.
  15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Er, no , thats what I said. A jazz bass izza jass bass.
    G&L no exception. Skinny pickups. So many are good, I would concern myself more with different brands wiring options.

16. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

+1

17. soulman969

Yeah, that's what YOU said but the bass isn't for YOU. What you actually posted is this and a G&L JB is not a PBass (they make those too) and it does have skinny Alnico V pickup just like Fender JBass so that would make it another non-Fender option JBass type.

The OP asked for suggestions for other Jazz Bass types and that G&L is one. Very close to an MIA Jazz in fact because Leo was G&L too and also a great value in a top quality Jazz style bass. Sadowsky's and Lakland are among many other examples but more than the OP has budgeted.

At what point did you say you become THE authority on Jazz Basses? :rolleyes:

18. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Cadfael- that is one sweet Jazz Bass!!!
    Nothing screams vintage classic like sunburst and chrome!!!

For the OP- if you want Fender, you may be able to get the classic 60s MIM J bass Down Under for around 1000$AUS.
    Higher end Mexican made some with nitro finish and hard case included-
    I grabbed one last spring and absolutely love it. Put flatwound strings on it. Nothing else needed!! Vintage J single coils sound great to me- running through Ampeg Micro CL (100W, 2x10), or Rumble 40-
    Cheers!
    View attachment 479893

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  19. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

I’ll try to post pic again-Grrrr!
    Ps Cadfael- “Zero fret”- very good- „vorzüglich!”

View attachment 479894

Cadfael likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.