Help me figure out options for single neck humbucker with 4 wires!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by etype, Mar 29, 2020.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

So I am building a Jazzmaster shaped partscaster with a single neck humbucker. The pickup I got is from Mojo (the one in the UK) and it is essentially two of these neck n-foils (4k each) put in a single wide-range dual foil case (see below).

I was going to use a regular two way switch to go from a single coil split to a series humbucker, but then I thought I could do a 3 position slider (on-on-on) and have it wired single, series, parallel. But THEN I wondered about an out of phase option or adding in capacitors to boost midrange or maybe bypass the tone and volume controls completely or something else.

For any options, I need to know what switches I'd need to add: One 3 position slider, three 2-position sliders (e.g. Jaugar control plate) or rotary switch or something else. Tone and volume will be thumb wheels, so no push pull or S1 switches.

Thanks!

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/n-foil/
    [​IMG]

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/wide-range-dual-foil-humbucker-gold-foil/
    [​IMG]

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Oh, and because everyone like pics, here is the body. Neck is covered in blue tape right now, but is maple with a rosewood fretboard.
    [​IMG]

3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Ok, time for a bump. And another question. So I understand that you want a 250k set of pots for a single coil and 500k for humbuckers, but why is that you want the different pots for BOTH volume and tone? I would think it's for the tone, but why the volume pot too? Is there some way to adjust it when you switch from single coil to humbucker by adding a capacitor somewhere? Maybe with another switch?

4. solfege

solfege TDPRI Member

Basically, to bring the single coil down to something reasonable, you put a resistor between its lug and the common lug on the switch. To get all the way to 250k, you'd use a 470K resistor. When I redid my Squier cyclone with better pickups and rewired to the Fender schematic, it turns out that Fender used a 270K resistor on that thing, which I liked on that guitar because it brightened the neck up a bit and helped its volume match the humbucker in the bridge.

FWIW here's the diagram for the Cyclone. Since you're doing a Jazzy, it's the same basic switch type.

https://usermanual.wiki/Fender/0130500BSISD.1178108613/view

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Cool guitar! But I wonder if my situation is more complicated as the single coil I am working with is 1/2 of the humbucker!

6. solfege

solfege TDPRI Member

Oh you're talking about the coil split! Sorry, I should have read up. I'm pretty sure if you were going to do that, the principle would be the same, you'd want the resistor on whatever switch you're using to activate the coil split. The basic thing you'd be trying to do is set it up so that your single coils (whether split or separate pickups) see what is effectively a smaller pot than your humbucking config, which keeps everything more balanced tone-wise. But it'll almost certainly be trial and error. Also, since you're using the gold foils, which are pretty different from either Strat or tele single coils or PAF style humbuckers, you might just want to see what Mojo recommend and go with that first. I bet if you emailed them, they'd give you a suggestion. They might tell you 'just use these pots and don't bother with any other resistors.

crazydave911 and etype like this.
  7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Marc suggested switching to do single, series and parallel. I aske, but he didn't respond and I didn't follow up. I think I'll try again. Thanks!

8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I know Jack s*** about wiring stuff. But that is one tasty looking guitar body!

Good luck.

9. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! It is just shellac on a Warmoth body, but I got a chambered one (3.3lbs) 'cause JM bodies can be heavy. I know shellac is not very durable, but I want this one to age a little more quickly.

10. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Actually, he did reply (it was last summer so I forgot), he suggests 500K pots and a 0.022uk cap. I have no idea what the cap does.

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Seymour Duncan makes a cool little pickup ring with two slide switches built in to it. You can get series or parallel or split the coil without a whole lot of wiring hassles

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H96JZ6/?tag=tdpri-20

I helped my son build and wire a guitar and we put two of these in along with a piezo bridge - the idea was to have all sorts of combinations. It turns out he mostly uses the standard series 'bucker configuration.

12. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Super cool! I just have to fid out if they make one for a wide-range sized humbucker. Or I wonder if I could use the switch, but cut off the ring part and just mount the switch on the side of the pickup.

13. Freeman Keller

I don't have great pictures but here is the back side. The pups were normal sized 'buckers with four leads, I left them long so if this didn't work out I could use them in the conventional fashion. The pickup leads lay down on a little pc board which has the ribbon cable going to the switches. From there there is a single two conductor cable going to each tone and volume pot as in normal LP style wiring

There are two slide switches in each ring so you can get all kinds of combinations....

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

The extra little board and fifth pot are for the piezo ToM bridge, the shielded cables come from the individual crystals. His idea with this guitar was to be able to have a multitude of sounds available so he didn't need multiple guitars

One thing to remember when you split coils and/or go series-parallel is that you might not have the optimum value of potentiometer for that particular pickup impedance - I think we used 500K pots to optimize it for humbucking.

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Years ago I had a chat with David Wilcox's guitar tech about his unusual Tele. he told me the guitar had about 35 different tone options... but David only ever really used a few of them.

wilcoxtele.jpg

I've done some pretty crazy wiring jobs over the years but finally came to realize it's best to just keep it simple.

YMMV. :D

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

They don't make a WRHB size version, so I'd have ot cut away most of the ring and mount it along side the pickup. It also wants a single hole to attached the HB and my pickup has two on each side. But well worth considering.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I did just want a single coil gold foil, but Marc at Mojo told me the WRGF is essentially two of the pickups I wanted in one case. So certainly single and HB. He suggested parallel as well as series, so those three options are probably were I will end up.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. Freeman Keller

You can certainly do it with toggle or slide switches mounted in the guitar body or p/g and there are plenty of weird wiring diagrams out there. This was just so convenient.

However, and this is a big however, when I played it I found I preferred the standard humbucker configuration (and I'm a neck 'bucker sort of guy) and that last time I saw my son he offered me the guitar - said he never played it. I'm building him a double neck right now and for a brief moment actually considered putting the switch rings on the six string neck.

So, yeah, you can create all kinds of possibilities but will you actually use them?

etype and crazydave911 like this.
  18. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Here's a wiring diagram for humbuckers which I have used a few times with good results. You need an on-on-on mini toggle switch which are sold on E-bay but gives a good variety of different possibilities!

DC humbucker_north_coil_parallel (2).jpg

etype and crazydave911 like this.
  19. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Yeah, no Wide Range Triple Shot, although the Custom Shop might be able to mod one so it fits. But I'd say if you consider cutting a ring apart, be really careful because those wires are tiny and fragile.

etype likes this.
  20. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Wilcox's Tele looks a bit like Steve Morse's Tele:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.