Help Me Decide, PLEASE!

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I've got an early 60s AC30. It's the most wonderful thing, so long as I can play it from 50 yards away! Might an AC15 be of more practical use? I don't know what size gigs you're doing?

There's obviously a significant price gap between the Gibson you've linked to and the AC you've linked to. Voxes are probably more expensive over there than here in the UK, but I'd suggest you could get an original 60s Vox for the price of that Gibson. You may not want one that old, of course. But then I'd suggest just look at a new one instead?

My thoughts for what they're worth.

That Gibson looks nice, so I'd take that, but then I've already got the Vox!!
There is something truly special about a CRANKED AC30! I mostly play at home, with the occasional Sunday at church. I have an OX for attenuation so "Loud" is not a problem.
I think I prefer the two side handles of the AC30 to the single handle of the AC15. I LOVE Vintage amps, but I'm starting to not like the increasing cost of maintaining them.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
There is something truly special about a CRANKED AC30! I mostly play at home, with the occasional Sunday at church. I have an OX for attenuation so "Loud" is not a problem.
I think I prefer the two side handles of the AC30 to the single handle of the AC15. I LOVE Vintage amps, but I'm starting to not like the increasing cost of maintaining them.
I had a quite rare Selmer crocodile-skin combo that I didn't get on with, and I advertised it for sale - around 2002 or so. A guy phoned up, said he collected amps and didn't have one like mine. Would I be interested in an AC30 as a swap? He brought it over and I plugged in to test it, never having played through one, and was in heaven. It was like "oh, that's how you make the sound in my head!" I played for about 20 minutes, just going "oh, my goodness, listen to that!" over and over. Eventually I stopped, and asked if he wanted to test the Selmer and he just said "I'm not following that!"

We did the swap and it's still with me. It sadly doesn't get the use it should, but maybe there are still bigger venues somewhere in my future. And/or soundscreens!! They are just glorious, cranked. I heard they're what God plays...

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I had a quite rare Selmer crocodile-skin combo that I didn't get on with, and I advertised it for sale - around 2002 or so. A guy phoned up, said he collected amps and didn't have one like mine. Would I be interested in an AC30 as a swap? He brought it over and I plugged in to test it, never having played through one, and was in heaven. It was like "oh, that's how you make the sound in my head!" I played for about 20 minutes, just going "oh, my goodness, listen to that!" over and over. Eventually I stopped, and asked if he wanted to test the Selmer and he just said "I'm not following that!"

We did the swap and it's still with me. It sadly doesn't get the use it should, but maybe there are still bigger venues somewhere in my future. And/or soundscreens!! They are just glorious, cranked. I heard they're what God plays...
That's awesome! I love hearing those kinds of stories. I think when those special instruments/creative tools have a cool backstory it just makes them even more special.

I know they change the tone a little, but a good attenuator with reactive load makes those "Too Loud" amps playable at manageable levels. I have an OX from UA, and it allows me to crank up my non-master amps to their absolute sweet spot without doing any additional damage to my hearing. I can also use the OX to play silently through headphones, which my wife an kids often appreciate. Tone King makes some excellent attenuators as well.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
That's awesome! I love hearing those kinds of stories. I think when those special instruments/creative tools have a cool backstory it just makes them even more special.

I know they change the tone a little, but a good attenuator with reactive load makes those "Too Loud" amps playable at manageable levels. I have an OX from UA, and it allows me to crank up my non-master amps to their absolute sweet spot without doing any additional damage to my hearing. I can also use the OX to play silently through headphones, which my wife an kids often appreciate. Tone King makes some excellent attenuators as well.
Yes, I've been thinking about giving that a go. I tried one years ago and was really disappointed, but perhaps as with everything else, the technology moves on.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
DUDE! Thank you! Imma play that amp tomorrow when I check out the LPC!

FWIW But if it were me, I'd be callin' em up and asking them to hold both for 24 hrs just to be on the safe. Most places don't have an issue doing that for a customer IME. I can't tell you how many times I've said "I'm gonna check it out tomorrow" and then someone beats me to it :eek: You might find it interesting, on this same note, that my local GC had a used but mint condition Vox AC15 on the cheap, literally just a couple weeks ago. I played through it etc. and fell in love with it. I knew that if I didn't buy it right then and there, it would be gone in a flash. They had just put it out on the floor for a price that was simply too good to pass up. Good luck man! Hope you get what you want and rock the house! ;) Oh... and thanks for serving BTW. Glad you got the VA mess worked out. I know how hard that can be.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
FWIW But if it were me, I'd be callin' em up and asking them to hold both for 24 hrs just to be on the safe. Most places don't have an issue doing that for a customer IME. I can't tell you how many times I've said "I'm gonna check it out tomorrow" and then someone beats me to it :eek: You might find it interesting, on this same note, that my local GC had a used but mint condition Vox AC15 on the cheap, literally just a couple weeks ago. I played through it etc. and fell in love with it. I knew that if I didn't buy it right then and there, it would be gone in a flash. They had just put it out on the floor for a price that was simply too good to pass up. Good luck man! Hope you get what you want and rock the house! ;) Oh... and thanks for serving BTW. Glad you got the VA mess worked out. I know how hard that can be.
Thanks! I called Thunder Road and they are holding it for me for through tomorrow.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
So my wife and I went into Thunder Road PDX to try that 1978 LPC. I brought some gear I just haven’t bonded with for a trade, if I liked it (2010 LPC, Magnatone super 15, and a Mesa Widebody cab). Ultimately it wasn’t the guitar for me. I played A LOT of awesome guitars. I’ve played a lot of high-end, expensive guitars before, but the 1963 jazzmaster ($12K) and CS Joe Strummer Esquire ($15K) are the most expensive I’ve ever played. The JM was worth it. The Strummer, not so much (to me).

In the end I walked out with a 2018 R8 (hands down THE BEST Les Paul I’ve ever played), a Nash JM-63 (really great guitar that my wife said I “had to have”, and a Victoria 5e3 (It is heads and tails better than the Fender ‘57 custom deluxe I will be returning to GC, and cost $600 less) for 1/2 of what I had budgeted to spend on a single guitar. So to everyone who chimed in, THANK YOU! You guys ROCK!

Attachments

• C76F30B1-2D73-42FF-AC0E-66CB2D3B6748.jpeg
    C76F30B1-2D73-42FF-AC0E-66CB2D3B6748.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 09AB8966-EC0B-4014-AA21-15DE10F98A15.jpeg
    09AB8966-EC0B-4014-AA21-15DE10F98A15.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 17

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Dude, that sounds awesome. I'm a pretty simple guy, so the idea of a great LP straight into a great 5e3 is about the best thing ever. Congratulations!

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
After fighting with the VA for 12 years I finally won my appeal. They deposited a substantial amount of money into my bank account yesterday. My Wife is cool with me buying an expensive guitar or amplifier. I already have my perfect Tele and several VERY nice amps, so I don't "need" anything.

So, If you had the money would you buy a Vox AC30/6 TBX w/ a road case for what I feel is a good value (I LOVE Vox amps, but haven't bonded with the HW or the C versions I've owned), a 1978 Gibson LP Custom (Birth year + Dream Guitar) that "might" be a little over priced, or???

My current gear:

*2018 AO 60's Tele w/ hand-wound '63 pickups - My Desert Island Guitar
*2010 Gibson LP Custom - I still don't like the D "Slim Taper" neck shape on this guitar (it'll go if I buy the 1978)
*1975 Fender Princeton Reverb - My Desert Island Amp
*1974 Fender Musicmaster bass Amp - when played in stereo with the PR... GLORIUS
*'57 Custom Deluxe amp - It's new. I like it. Still not 100% sure I'm going to keep it
*Magnatone Super 15 Head and Cab - Very "Marshally" (Did I mention the head and cab light up?)

I can play the LP in person. The AC30/6 would be a Reverb purchase.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.
The LP. Not a bad price for being that old. Plus, it looks like you already have enough amps ;)

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
The LP. Not a bad price for being that old. Plus, it looks like you already have enough amps ;)
Can you ever have "enough" amps?

I ended up buying a 2018 R8, a new Nash Jazzmaster, and a Victoria 5e3. I traded the 2010 LPC, Magnatone super 15, and an old Mesa cab I wasn't using. I also returned the Fender '57 Custom 5e3 I bought a couple weeks back because the Victoria is better to my my ears (Clearer, tighter, fuller, more controllable but still ragged, better dynamics).