Help Me Decide, PLEASE!

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
After fighting with the VA for 12 years I finally won my appeal. They deposited a substantial amount of money into my bank account yesterday. My Wife is cool with me buying an expensive guitar or amplifier. I already have my perfect Tele and several VERY nice amps, so I don't "need" anything.

So, If you had the money would you buy a Vox AC30/6 TBX w/ a road case for what I feel is a good value (I LOVE Vox amps, but haven't bonded with the HW or the C versions I've owned), a 1978 Gibson LP Custom (Birth year + Dream Guitar) that "might" be a little over priced, or???

My current gear:

*2018 AO 60's Tele w/ hand-wound '63 pickups - My Desert Island Guitar
*2010 Gibson LP Custom - I still don't like the D "Slim Taper" neck shape on this guitar (it'll go if I buy the 1978)
*1975 Fender Princeton Reverb - My Desert Island Amp
*1974 Fender Musicmaster bass Amp - when played in stereo with the PR... GLORIUS
*'57 Custom Deluxe amp - It's new. I like it. Still not 100% sure I'm going to keep it
*Magnatone Super 15 Head and Cab - Very "Marshally" (Did I mention the head and cab light up?)

I can play the LP in person. The AC30/6 would be a Reverb purchase.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
If money isn’t a concern, I’d avoid the mass-produced Vox amps. Instead, I’d do some deep research to see which boutique builders make Vox clones that tick all the “requirement boxes” in my head. Then I’d buy the the best sounding, best performing Vox-type amp available that isn’t built to a price point.

(Sorry, I’m not a Vox guy, so I can’t tell you which boutique builders do “Vox” best)

tl;dr Don’t buy the badge, buy the amp

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Do you vox thing. As long as you don't have to tote it anywhere.
If money isn’t a concern, I’d avoid the mass-produced Vox amps. Instead, I’d do some deep research to see which boutique builders make Vox clones that tick all the “requirement boxes” in my head. Then I’d buy the the best sounding, best performing Vox-type amp available that isn’t built to a price point.

(Sorry, I’m not a Vox guy, so I can’t tell you which boutique builders do “Vox” best)

tl;dr Don’t buy the badge, buy the amp
I appreciate that. I’ve played an AC30/6, and it sounded KILLER! They were built in the UK under Korg’s ownership. From the amp techs I’ve talked with around Portland they are GREAT amps that were built “right”.

Which amp manufacturers would you steer me towards? I know Bad Cat, Matchless, and Dr. Z all make some nice “Voxy” amps.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Any chance that you can buy both the Gibson AND the AC30 if you sell the 2010 Les Paul and add those funds to the pot?
I would absolutely sell the 2010 if I get the 1978.

I would also probably sell my Magnatone Super 15. I like it, but it’s very “polite”. Don’t get me wrong, it’s got a great crunch-tone going on, but I think the AC30/6 cranked up (and attenuated to keep from internal organ failure) would sound “better” to my ears.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I appreciate that. I’ve played an AC30/6, and it sounded KILLER! They were built in the UK under Korg’s ownership. From the amp techs I’ve talked with around Portland they are GREAT amps that were built “right”.

Which amp manufacturers would you steer me towards? I know Bad Cat, Matchless, and Dr. Z all make some nice “Voxy” amps.

Look at Morgan too

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
I‘d go for the amp. I like having more amps than guitars because thats what really gets your unique sound is the amp. Oh and congrats on the appeal I‘m in a vet’s motorcycle club and one of our guys is just starting the process of getting disability.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I‘d go for the amp. I like having more amps than guitars because thats what really gets your unique sound is the amp. Oh and congrats on the appeal I‘m in a vet’s motorcycle club and one of our guys is just starting the process of getting disability.
Fighting the VA seems impossible sometimes, but tell tour friend that persistence pays off. Hopefully he has a good VSO.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
I've got an early 60s AC30. It's the most wonderful thing, so long as I can play it from 50 yards away! Might an AC15 be of more practical use? I don't know what size gigs you're doing?

There's obviously a significant price gap between the Gibson you've linked to and the AC you've linked to. Voxes are probably more expensive over there than here in the UK, but I'd suggest you could get an original 60s Vox for the price of that Gibson. You may not want one that old, of course. But then I'd suggest just look at a new one instead?

My thoughts for what they're worth.

That Gibson looks nice, so I'd take that, but then I've already got the Vox!!