1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

help me decide on this epiphone dc pro

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by thunderbyrd, Sep 20, 2020.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

talk me into keeping it. i kinda like it, i kinda maybe don't.

here in kentucky, we have an outfit called the doo wop shop. i think they have around 5 stores. it's very useful for trying out new equipment - i rented the dc pro for a month for 30 bucks. (if that sounds like too much, you have to consider how much more the cost would be if you bought the guitar, then found after a month or so that your love didn't last past the honeymoon.) it gives you a chance to try out guitars, amps, and pedals for not too much money.

the picture above is not the guitar i have, but it looks exactly like it.

so, pros and cons:

1. it is a beautiful guitar, gorgeous color. the back of the body is so sexy, i dread to see it with buckle rash.
    2. it has a wonderful big robust neck, fits in my hand just the way i want it to.
    3. it has fine upper fret access and 24 frets.
    4. the out of phase setting sounds interesting.
    5. i am not crazy about the fretboard inlays - but they work in the favor of the guitar because it means i don't have to touch the pao ferro as much.
    6. the headstock shape is acceptable.
    7. it's a doublecut. if i ever learn to play crossroad blues, i'll be able to reach the 17th fret.
    8. i think of it as my "pat travers" guitar. pat never played one exactly like this, but kind of like this.

cons?
    1. it has epiphone pickups. i don't want to insult anyone's equipment, but i can hear a non-musical "clang" in almost every epiphone pick up i've heard. i'm perfectly willing to believe that it's all in my head, but that's the problem. it's in my head and i can't get away from it. if i keep this guitar, i will put either gibson classic 57's in it or gibson p-94's. so there's several dollars there.
    2. i think the vine inlay on the headstock is kind of dopey looking.
    3. i greatly dislike pao ferro. give me deep, dark rosewood, baby, that's where greatness lies!

all for your consideration.

2. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I'll give you my thoughts.

If it was me, I wouldn't spend the $$$ to upgrade the pickups. I don't think I currently have an Epi with ProBuckers other than my Thunderbird Bass, but that's obviously not the same as having a guitar with those pickups. I do have an Epi LP with the Gibson USA Classic '57s and they do sound really good, but do you want to spend that kind of money to upgrade a relatively inexpensive guitar? I have Epi's with humbuckers like the Epi Alnico Classic PROs and I don't mind them at all.

I had to go to Epiphone's site and enlarge the image of the DC PRO there before I noticed the vine inlay. How much are you going to be looking at the vine inlay while you're playing?

The fretboard, well I've seen quite a few Pau Ferro boards. Most are meh to me but I've seen a few that were nice and dark. If it was me, if I otherwise liked the guitar I would probably live with a pale fretboard.

I'm not sure if that helps or not. I hope it does.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

You like the neck, but don't like the pups and headstock vine. I was the same with my MIK Epi Sheraton II. I found some very inexpensive Vanson low output Alnico IIs (thru eBay from U.K.) that are everything that the Gibson '57s can put out. To me, finding a player with a comfy neck is what to look for/find and then electric components are easy to change. My .02, so good luck with your decision and quest.

nicknklv, thunderbyrd and Ricky D. like this.
  4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I don't like to wrangle over personal preference stuff, but you asked.

I like my Epi Probuckers, and I'm keeping them. It's an easy job to swap them out, and I intended to when I bought the guitar, but they really grew on me once I had some hours on them. If you don't like them, you did intend to change them out anyway.

Some appearance issues are deal breakers for me, some are just preferences. This is all up to you. Up to me, I'd buy it for the neck.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

ah! 2 posters have said "the neck". yes! it is not easy to find a neck that really suits you - and this one feels real good...keep talking sense to me that sanity might prevail!

posttoastie likes this.
  6. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I see that I didn't say the phrase "the neck" in my post but finding a guitar with a neck that feels like it was made for your hand is a key factor in deciding whether to buy. If you've only rented it for a month so far, I'd suggest keeping the current pickups in for another couple of months to see if they grow on you. You can swap the pickups out anytime.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

To the OP:

The guitar is fine and all this stuff you're yammering about is in your head. So, get out of your head, get into a groove and play it. And, please, stop bitchin' about pau ferro. There's nothing wrong with it plus it's here to stay so get used to it. A little bit of TLC and some decent fretboard oil and you won't know the difference. ;)

thunderbyrd and Chiogtr4x like this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

SD P Rails and Triple Shot Rings.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My Blueridge with solid Pau Ferro back and sides also fingerboard and Bridge is an awesome player
    20190606_081953.jpg 20190606_082250.jpg

howlin and thunderbyrd like this.
  10. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I had a Blueridge but I like yours is better. Must be the pau ferro . . . :rolleyes:

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Buy it.

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My Blueridge is a fun 'new' ( 2 years old now) for me. It is loud and now (thanks to a good setup) easier to play than when I first got it
    ( it was a very nice gift my guitar buddies got me for my 60th Birthday- good friends!)
    I play it at home just about every day as my old Martin dread ( with pickup) gets the gigs.

It has the smaller 000 body size and I'm still getting used to less low end, and what I describe as a 'green' or brash tone. It needs to warm up a bit and open up, but that will happen in time.

I hope to get a pickup system put in, and flip-flop my guitars- gig with the Blueridge, and keep the Martin at home.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.