1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me decide on my recording setup

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by ThePastRecedes, Mar 5, 2011.

1. ThePastRecedes

ThePastRecedes TDPRI Member

I'm like this to, I have all my important software like photoshop, illustrator and Cubase on windows. I just use Linux for surfing the web and writing documents and day to day use. I find the linux versions of photoshop and illustrator nowhere near as good as the real thing, do i have to put up with the slow computer to use them.

2. MikeAcoustic

MikeAcoustic Tele-Meister

3. steevc

steevc TDPRI Member

Hey, that's me! I've only just joined this forum.

After a bit of experimentation I'm finding I can do a lot with the H4 and Ardour. Things got better when I realised I could use the H4 for audio out too. That seemed to give me better latency without xruns.

I don't have Windows on my main PC and don't plan to get it any time. Linux can do all I need, recording wise. You can't get things like Amplitube, but there are a few effects and amp modellers available. I'm using external effects for now. Also getting the hang of Hydrogen for drums.

I've got a few recordings on Soundcloud. Some of the acoustic stuff was just done on the H4 as that's quick and easy for live stuff

http://soundcloud.com/steevc

4. Where's Nick?

Where's Nick? TDPRI Member

i would recommend a rode NT2A for your microphone, amazing value.
    M audio interfaces are simple and you can get ones that run pro tools if thats something youre interested in.

i like the reccomendation of the zoom H4 also, having a a portable recorder can be very handy for live stuff and the recordings on them come out pretty nice

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.