1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help Me Decide on a Second Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TelecastrMastr, Nov 28, 2019.

1. TelecastrMastr

TelecastrMastr TDPRI Member

Hello, all! Happy Holidays. I own a silverface ‘74 Fender Twin Reverb (that was modded to be blackface a looooong time ago) and it’s my absolute favorite amplifier. Wouldn’t trade it for the world.

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a second amp as a backup. Something lighter, quieter, easier to throw in the car for a jam, and another voice for recording. Also something to play in case a tube goes out before a gig or something.

I’ve been wanting a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, because I’ve often used them to demo guitars in a lot of the local shops, and I’ve never played one that I haven’t loved.

My question is, if I have a Twin, would getting a DR be a bit redundant? Is there another amp you’d suggest instead? Are their differences enough to justify having both?

My main guitar is an American Pro Jaguar, and I just haven’t liked it through any Vox I’ve tried. As well, I can’t say I’ve found a Marshall I’ve really enjoyed either.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments! :)

Greggorios and Tonetele like this.
  2. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

My goal has always been to pair blackface/silverface with tweed, they are great compliments of each other.

Can’t go wrong with a deluxe reverb though and it would feel great compared to having to travel with the twin sometimes.

In short you can never have too many amps :twisted::twisted:

3. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Deluxe or Princeton for portability!

57fenderstrat likes this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm thinking maybe a '73... :D

I have SF Twin, Super, and Deluxe. Also have Tweed Pro and BF Vibrolux builds.

The Twin is my main amp, can't live without it. If I played out, I'd probably want the DR, as it's more flexible in that regard. Or the Vibrolux.

I built the Tweed because everyone made me think I was missing something. It's a great amp.... that I have little interest in... we like what we like...

TelecastrMastr likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Something in the Tweed family? Or maybe you already found your sound and don't really want a "different voice" after all?

Honestly for your desired uses as you mentioned, why not get a modelling amp? You are not looking for a "holy grail" sound but rather some portable, inexpensive variety and spice.

Other amps worth a mention are the Roland Blues Cube (I have the Stage and like it a lot, portable, roughly Tweed-like in tones, very well made), Orange combo amps like a Rocker 32 or something (I actually love the cleans on these), or something hot-rodded with modern features like a Mesa 5:25. A Roland JC-60 might be worth a spin for you as well.

6. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

AC10

7. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I've never heard anyone say I shouldn't have bought that Deluxe Reverb, not ever.

8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Twin as well and it gets 80% of my attention at home, but too damn heavy to take anywhere. My favorite compliment is the Lindy Fralin VVT which can give you a solid 40 watt Twin-like experience or can be dropped to 22 watts by changing to 6v6 tubes without a need to re-bias. Weighs about 45 lbs and really sings with a really good reverb. Those that love Fender tones will love this amp.....they show up once in awhile used for around $900. I suggest that or else step back to a Brownface Princeton clone which also compliments your Twin well.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Other guitarist in my band plays one, it's fantastic. It just has that tone. One day I'll have one, possibly the Tone master version

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Redundant is right. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, you know what you like. After all, the TR is on the very short list of the greatest amps of all time. The DR is on that list, too. I love them both, I've been a Fender man since the 60s, no use for Vox or Marshall.

You just have to decide if you want something the same but smaller or something different.

TelecastrMastr likes this.
  11. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Might want to check out some of the Allen Amps models. All are take-offs on Fender tweed, brown, or later models. Many have a "raw" control that gives you a more BF and tweed circuit in the same amp.
    http://allenamps.com/index.html

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good call on Allen Amps. The Vibrolux build I mentioned earlier is an Allen Encore. I built it ... 7 years ago? Still great...

Good choice for someone who loves Fender tone, wants to branch out a bit, but not really...

Many amps are offered in kit form for much less, and they're the best kits I've ever seen. Perfect instructions.

Of course everything is also offered as handwired boutique built by David. The cabs are excellent, and you can spec various speaker/cab configs with each chassis. For instance, his Encore is essentially a BF Pro, Super, or VR, depending on speakers.

Leo would approve, and some things are actually improvements, like one channel, not two (we're not sharing mics on an amp anymore...); low volt bias points on the rear panel, making it easy to swap tubes, and transformers robust enough to run either 6V6 or 6L6 in many cases.

David's reverb is excellent, and many models are designed with two- and three-knob versions.

There's the unique 'raw' pot, which fades between clean BF and a throatier, quicker breakup.

Many amps have tremolo, and it's usually (always?) of the tube bias variety. Luscious!

Accomplice is a 22W BF, Encore is a 35W BF. With the raw though, they drift into other sounds...

Hot Blonde is the one I want. It's a Setzer-inspired Blonde Bassman, with added reverb.

He's got a passel of right-sized, fun amps, like Brown Sugar, Sweet Spot, Hot Fudge, Tweed 57, and more.

Definitely worth a close look.

13. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

OK, here is the first one :eek:

Don't buy a Deluxe Reverb. I had a Twin Reverb too and no I use a Bassman 59. We share studio with another band. They have a DR and I have tested a Deluxe Reverb many many many times. I wanted to like it, really, small, enough watts, everything looks right on the paper.... BUT... it doesn't sounds like a half Twin reverb... no... meh

I have a friend that swears over his Deluxe Reverb Custom 68, those with the blue light... modern, yes, I have toi give it a shot but so far... to me: meh

I think is the lack of a Middle pot what makes me not to be able to dial what I want

Get a Princeton, mate

Milspec likes this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Diff , then prob el84 type or Valco or supro type. Or Carmen ghia edgey

15. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

If it's mids you are searching for=Marshall

16. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a Marshall/Fender guy. Amps used for different music and usually Stratocaster/Fender amp or Les Paul/Marshall amp. Telecaster mainly with the Marshall also.

If you don’t care for Marshall tone, and are strictly play Fender amps, I would definitely think Princeton, Deluxe, or Vibrolux.

Smaller, lighter, more portable, and still had that Fender sound.

17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Tone King Imperial. Lightweight, the best clean sounds on the planet, great pedal platform (if you need it), lush onboard reverb and tremolo and both lead and rhythm channels will be voiced differently than your current Twin. Budget dependent of course, but minty fresh used ones are under $1500 for the MK1 if you don’t need attenuation.

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

5E3 tweed Deluxe

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

But there's thousands of us who say they shouldn't have SOLD that Deluxe Reverb.....:(
    Simply the BEST single amp ever made! ;)

TelecastrMastr, Vibrolux59 and MXLBRY like this.
  20. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Been down this road.

Actually if you want half a twin, the closest thing at much lower volumes is a Princeton. Not exactly the same but it's got the clean purist thing similar to a low volume twin. But it starts to get blurry above 6 on the dial.

If you just want a lighter twin with a little less low end push/pump then definitely a Vibrolux. My favorite road amp.

If you want something in the rounded tone/blues, slightly overdriven arena, then the Deluxe Reverb is the ticket. It's the most recorded amp in history, what can you add to that.

But...if you want something completely different then some alternate tonal options are definitely a Vox, AC15C1 or variation. These can actually do a good emulation of a Fender on the normal channel however the reverb doesn't sound the same; less ping but not as distinct. Then there's the high end break up/chime on the Boost channel which is completely different than a twin.

Another recommend tone if you want some gritty but cleanish tone with beautiful break up when pushed, the Marshall DSL40C or if you can afford it, the JVM series combos (adds more low end push and volume) but the later puts you into Twin weight arena. I think the DSL40C is one of the best small club amps out there.

If you want something in the avant garde type sound then look at an Orange or Blackstar. I find them kind of Chinese tube sounding but some people use them as drastically different vibe type amps.

Some of the vintage Gibsons have some great alternate tone as well.

There's an inside Nashville circle studio player who you can find on Youtube, can't remember his name. In his home studio he has every amp on the planet in a head design connected to a switchable system so he can easily switch amplifier heads. In another room he has several small amps and many different speaker cabs i.e. 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 1x10 even some 1x8 amps or cabs with various speakers. These amps/cabs are set up in a circle and he has a robotic arm with microphone and camera in the center of the room and can move the mic to any amp/cab in the circle. He controls the robotic arm with a joystick in his control room. He says that in his experiments, the actual amp has less of an effect on the tonal quality than using a different cabinet/speaker configuration. So keep that in mind when you start to branch out. Getting another amp with 2x12s may not offer the variety of tone your are looking for.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.