Help me decide on a new pickguard for my Spaltcaster!

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
I posted up this pic of my spalted maple partscaster I put together a while back in the bound Strat thread and decided I hated the pickguard on it. I pulled it off and picked up a couple new ones and here are my options:

Since I'm a big fan of tortoise but wanted to stay with wood, here is a Vavona (burl redwood) guard on it. It looks pretty good with the faux burl I did on the pickup covers.

IMG_4306 (2).JPG

Another option is "all spalt, all day. A spalted pickguard was my original concept so I picked this one up which is exceptionally well-matched. I am still having trouble getting my head around the look, though. I have some maple knobs and pickup covers I could add also. The second pic is the back of the pickguard with a touch of stain on it just for a bit of contrast.

IMG_4310 (2).JPG

IMG_4315 (2).JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

I could probably take a stab at color matching the spalted pickguard to the headstock veneer also. Hmmmm.

I've tried black and cream but both are a no-go for me. I'd have used a brown tortoise but I already have tortoise guards on other strats and just wanted something different. Freeman Keller and I collaborated on a headstock veneer matched pickguard when I was putting this together, but I sunk that effort by supplying a backer that caused the pickguard to curl up like a potato chip.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I always go with black or parchment.

For parchment, I'd bleach the light one with an A/B wood bleach, and stain it with white pigment in a gum arabic water solution.

For black, I'd probably take the light one as well and stain it black with a black pigment in a gum arabic water solution.

Then finish over that with a clear, or treat it with a hardwax oil.

The grain on the guard would still show but much more subtly... Not conflicting with the grain on the body.

Parchment would tie into the binding and the inlays. Black would tie into the dark lines in the body grain.

My 2¢

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Tough call. Very different looks but I think they are both amazing!

I think I would go with Vavona if you want the pickguard to be a visual focal point of the guitar and the spalt if not.

No wrong choice here.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Another option would be to go all spalt, but with a tobacco sunburst on the pickguard

Mark617

Tele-Holic
That is a beautiful guitar. I know you don’t want a redo . But black guard , with black hardware would make that spalting really pop

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Love Tort and that was the first that came to mind, but the Burl looks good while the Spalt blends in too much.

The counter top under the guitar made me think that a Black Pearl guard might look great.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I like all those spalt/burl options equally - sorry!

What I would NOT do on that beautiful guitar is put on some fake option like tort. And black, white, etc - no, they just don't do justice to that very special guitar.

Go bold.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've never been keen on mixing woodgrains on a guitar. That spalt is gorgeous and makes a very strong visual impact - adding a different wood guard or even trying to match it in a spalted grain pickguard would just have the different elements fighting for attention... the guard needs to be much plainer than that. But - if you really want a wood guard, the Vavona is the best choice out of those.
Whatever you choose, it is going to look fabulous!

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I posted up this pic of my spalted maple partscaster I put together a while back in the bound Strat thread and decided I hated the pickguard on it. I pulled it off and picked up a couple new ones and here are my options:

Since I'm a big fan of tortoise but wanted to stay with wood, here is a Vavona (burl redwood) guard on it. It looks pretty good with the faux burl I did on the pickup covers.

View attachment 944749

Another option is "all spalt, all day. A spalted pickguard was my original concept so I picked this one up which is exceptionally well-matched. I am still having trouble getting my head around the look, though. I have some maple knobs and pickup covers I could add also. The second pic is the back of the pickguard with a touch of stain on it just for a bit of contrast.

View attachment 944750
View attachment 944751
View attachment 944763

I could probably take a stab at color matching the spalted pickguard to the headstock veneer also. Hmmmm.

I've tried black and cream but both are a no-go for me. I'd have used a brown tortoise but I already have tortoise guards on other strats and just wanted something different. Freeman Keller and I collaborated on a headstock veneer matched pickguard when I was putting this together, but I sunk that effort by supplying a backer that caused the pickguard to curl up like a potato chip.

What do you think?
I like the unstained spalt guard A LOT.