Help me country

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter

In the most recent edition of Fretboard Journal John Sebastian tells how "Nashville Cats" came about. He said that the Spoonful played a gig in Nashville and afterward they went to the basement bar in the Holiday Inn where they were staying. After a while he describes a "really rough looking" guy showing up with a Tele w/no case and a beat up Super Reverb. Guy drags the amp to a corner with plywood on the floor and starts playing totally blowing them away. Played a bit, packed up and left.
Anyway, the guy left without saying anything but they found out a year and a half later that it was a 19 year old Danny Gatton and his playing that night inspired "Nashville Cats" which he wrote 2 weeks after seeing him that night. He said Gatton started out playing exactly like Chet Atkins and gradually morphed into what they called Hillbilly Jazz totally blowing all of them away.

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
So many great suggestions.
Country doesn’t traditionally take itself too seriously, County saves that for Mama, trains, trucks, beer and whiskey, mountains, love and fishing.
I typically agree with Country… I’ll join in on listening to the Bakersfield Cats like the team of Don and Buck.
Buck Owens and the Buckaroos at Carnegie Hall :)
Oh, and Marty Stewart and his Fabulous Superlatives!
Have fun!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Check out the Grateful Dead playing old country tunes if you like: "Big River", "Race Is On", "El Paso", Mama Tried". Jerry Garcia has some cool lines and then you can't forget about Dickey Betts from the Allman Brothers Band. "Blue Sky", "Jessica", Rambin Man", etc.

I would say that those two bands were probably my first exposure to country style guitar playing in a non "pure country" style. Like someone mentioned above too, I can't forget the Stones. Keith Richards hung out with Gram Parsons who turned him onto old "good country", like George Jones. In return, Keith turned Gram onto heroin.

I was astounded the other day to discover that the steel guitar part in "Teach Your Children Well" by CSNY was done by Jerry Garcia. It really MADE the song, and gave it a nice country flavor.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
And you GOTTA learn this one:

I had the pleasure of seeing Steve Goodman and John Prine one magical night when I was in college at University of Montana in the historic Wilma Building. We walked to the show - it was just over the Higgins Street Bridge from our apartment on Third Street. Steve even had a special song for when he broke a string and had to change it on stage - had the whole audience clapping and laughing along. Steve and John are both gone now. Wish I had a time machine.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
And you GOTTA learn this one:

I had the pleasure of seeing Steve Goodman and John Prine one magical night when I was in college at University of Montana in the historic Wilma Building. We walked to the show - it was just over the Higgins Street Bridge from our apartment on Third Street. Steve even had a special song for when he broke a string and had to change it on stage - had the whole audience clapping and laughing along. Steve and John are both gone now. Wish I had a time machine.

Awesome

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
Don Williams, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings...then move onto altcountry with son volts trace, wilcos being there and the Jayhawks and whiskeytown and Lucinda Williams

SlimGrady

TDPRI Member
Check out old stuff (Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings)
Progress through the 90's Country thing (Brent Mason, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill)
Through today where you have monster players such as (Daniel Donato, The Steel Woods, Charlie Starr/Blackberry Smoke)
Admittedly the last two mentioned are a little more rock based but you can hear heavy influence from the early country players mixed into every song. Charlie Starr is the best way to see Country, Bluegrass, Funk, Blues, and Rock all rolled into one.

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
You have been provided a lot of direction as requested. Which country music path you want to take needs some forethought, however. IMHO, all Country Music is NOT Country Music. Listen to Allen Jackson and George Straight sing:

The voices, the music is what I call Country Music. Of course, you might opt for the Bakersfield Sound:

Which way(s) you decide to go, I recommend you keep it true to the genre. Even the Stones did this when they played:

And:

Wish path that you take I wish you the best.

Last edited: