Help me country

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
Steve Earle, Gene Clark, William Elliot Whitmore, Darkthrone, The Pierces etc.

I may have slipped a red herring in there to see if you're paying attention.
Although not truly "country", some would say Texas country folk, etc. Check out Townes Van Zandt (specifically Live at the Old Quarter), Guy Clark (Old No. 1) to start. Those two got me into finger-style in a big way. True poets. Robert Earl Keen, Billy Joe Shaver, Nancy Griffith, Lucinda Williams, Kacey Musgraves, Doc Watson, Jerry Jeff Walker. Have to mention Waylon, Willie, Merle, Cash, of course. Sigh, was trying to keep this short, but...
The live Billy Joe Shaver record is killing! His son was a bad MF and he played a Strat

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
Dive in headfirst with some Waylon Jennings, Merle haggard , Buck Owens , flying burrito brothers/ gram parsons. And never look back . Great tele sounds
When you think about it, the first incarnation of the FBB, with Gram Parsons was lame attempt at trying to be the hippie version of Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. But, those first two records are great. The last versions of the FBB are good too and certainly have some much better players, like Bernie Leadon.

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
A lot of Texans (born and imported) have made country sounds. A lot of these have been mentioned above. Here are some I particularly admire:

Guy Clark
Steve Earle
Joe Ely
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Butch Hancock
Tish Hinojosa (my favorite)
Willie Nelson
Townes Van Zandt
Jerry Jeff Walker
Don Walzer
Gary Wills

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Start in the 30's, stop at the 80's.
See I don’t like 99% of the 90’s on. But there’s a LOT of new kids doing it right.

*reader beware, these are MY interpretations of music. May agree may disagree. But that’s what makes music great.*

I personally like the dirtier side of country. Cross Canadian Ragweed, Koe Wetzel, Austin Meade, Giovanni and the Hired Guns, HARDY, Copper Chief. The kinda stuff that one song “oh he’s country” then the next song is a strong rock driven. (As a rock guy myself. That’s drifted into country, that’s my happy place)

But I also love the more “modern” country but not too cheesy. Like Joshua Ray Walker, Kolby Cooper, Morgan Wallen, Mike and the Moonpies, Brandy Clark, Ashley McBryde, Tennessee Jet, HARDY.

But then there’s the “old souls” who almost transport you back in time. Suck as Charley Crockett, Jessie Daniel, Kassi Valazza, Nick Shoulders, The Hill Country Devil, Joshua Ray Walker.

And some blur the lines and vary song by song album by album. As of now, top favorite artists are Morgan Wallen, Joshua Ray Walker, and Mike and the Moonpies.

I know that’s a lot of names. Not trying to drown you. But all those artists are STILL up and running, making music. (I struggled in the past of finding a group I REALLY liked. Just to find out they aren’t around anymore.) and I know the Golden age of country is long gone. But there’s still solid country now, just not solid airtime on the radio. I gave 3 sub categories. I’ll post a song from each of the three. To give a better idea.

Rock driven

“Modern country”

“Old souls”

Again. It’s a lot. But hopefully gives some insight and direction to your venture lol. Again. Nothing beast 70-80’s country. But proof there are good artists still. Just gonna know where to go now.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
A lot of Texans (born and imported) have made country sounds. A lot of these have been mentioned above. Here are some I particularly admire:

Guy Clark
Steve Earle
Joe Ely
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Butch Hancock
Tish Hinojosa (my favorite)
Willie Nelson
Townes Van Zandt
Jerry Jeff Walker
Don Walzer
Gary Wills

Very solid list! Grew up listening to most of these. And many are heroes of mine

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Maybe so but it's like with the Blues: Learn from the sources not Clapton, SRV or whomever as they they did.
Oh absolutely. That’s why I threw in the old soul guys. They go straight back. As opposed to puzzling the music influence by influence. Neither are wrong! But that’s what gives us a nice diversity.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Alright, folks, I need some help, and figure there are people here who can direct me.

I want to start learning and playing some country.

I've never really listened to country...I've always been a rock/hard rock/metal guy (or classical/orchestral); grew up with the Stones, Queen, and Zeppelin, took a hard right turn into metal around the time Master of Puppets and (especially) Rust In Peace dropped, and never looked back.

I've accidentally heard some country or country-ish noises, of course....the Stones had their country-ish period (Little Red Rooster, even Wild Horses to a degree), and of course I love me some Johnny Cash (because it's Johnny Cash and I'm not a monster). I'm also a child of the 80s and early 90s, so I was in high school when the Garth Brooks "arena country/rock" thing happened, and I couldn't help but hear some of that.

Outside of that, I'm not sure where to start. What I'm trying to do is get that "shock" of motivation and inspiration from jumping into the deep end of a genre I know nothing about, and country is the modern genre I know the least about. I'm comfortable truly going deep end....don't feel like you have to bridge the gap for me and make it an easy entry.

Any and all suggestions on where to start, both listening and playing, are appreciated.
Major pentatonic, hammer ons, pull offs, 6ths, 3rds. Playing patterns up and down the neck rather than box shapes in one position.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
See I don’t like 99% of the 90’s on. But there’s a LOT of new kids doing it right.

*reader beware, these are MY interpretations of music. May agree may disagree. But that’s what makes music great.*

I personally like the dirtier side of country. Cross Canadian Ragweed, Koe Wetzel, Austin Meade, Giovanni and the Hired Guns, HARDY, Copper Chief. The kinda stuff that one song “oh he’s country” then the next song is a strong rock driven. (As a rock guy myself. That’s drifted into country, that’s my happy place)

But I also love the more “modern” country but not too cheesy. Like Joshua Ray Walker, Kolby Cooper, Morgan Wallen, Mike and the Moonpies, Brandy Clark, Ashley McBryde, Tennessee Jet, HARDY.

But then there’s the “old souls” who almost transport you back in time. Suck as Charley Crockett, Jessie Daniel, Kassi Valazza, Nick Shoulders, The Hill Country Devil, Joshua Ray Walker.

And some blur the lines and vary song by song album by album. As of now, top favorite artists are Morgan Wallen, Joshua Ray Walker, and Mike and the Moonpies.

I know that’s a lot of names. Not trying to drown you. But all those artists are STILL up and running, making music. (I struggled in the past of finding a group I REALLY liked. Just to find out they aren’t around anymore.) and I know the Golden age of country is long gone. But there’s still solid country now, just not solid airtime on the radio. I gave 3 sub categories. I’ll post a song from each of the three. To give a better idea.

Rock driven

“Modern country”

“Old souls”

Again. It’s a lot. But hopefully gives some insight and direction to your venture lol. Again. Nothing beast 70-80’s country. But proof there are good artists still. Just gonna know where to go now.

thanks for sharing this. I am not familiar with any of these newer names but will be sure to check them out, especially the "old souls".

Who out of these is playing the Bakersfield-type stuff? Or anyone doing that now?

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
thanks for sharing this. I am not familiar with any of these newer names but will be sure to check them out, especially the "old souls".

Who out of these is playing the Bakersfield-type stuff? Or anyone doing that now?
Jessie Daniel hits it kinda. Tennessee Jet has some solid Dwight covers. (I actually found him last year opening for Dwight) but he does his own thing most the time. Very solid. But not quite Bakersfield.

For old souls. Type. Look up “Gems on VHS” on YouTube. Get a few that I didn’t care for. But also found a lot of solid ones. My dad laughs and says it’s “kids with face tattoos playing their grandparent’s music”.

But give me a few and I’ll thumb through my music and see if I can dig up any more Bakersfield types. I’ll shoot you a PM if I do

billy logan

Tele-Holic
1:22 of the real thing. See if you can play exactly the swoop Webb Pierce sings in the 1st four words. Fancy suit optional. Four chords and the truth. (there's a II in the bridge :))

this gentleman in UK, David Hartley, gets the swoop :) then his sidekick, John Stannard, is chicken pickin' real good too!

Last edited:

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
Despite of being repetitive, I'll post my 2cts Boomer's input.
I will read the thread in the future for my own info.

After my whole life through different styles (almost ignoring Country), my last musical turn was a few years back.
I think it all started when realizing how many songs from The Cramps, which I already always loved, were covers from American classics. They got an LP called "Songs The Cramps tough us".
There you got the Originals to chose by yourself on Americana. Country, Rock'a Billy, Honky Tonk Bakersfield, etc.
Merle Haggard

There is a reason why a Classic becomes a Classic, they are GOOD.
Bill Monroe
The Carter Family
Hank Williams
Jimmi Rodgers

These guys took Country and twisted into another thing, but I still hear Country there.
Charley Feathers, James Burton, Scotty More, Luther Perkins

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Good thread. I'm no master of anything, and there are lots of ways, but here's how I'd suggest you skin that cat:

1) Focus first on the cowboy keys A, C, D, E, G. In each one learn first the I, IV, and dominant V chords, and its diatonic and pentatonic major scales.

2) Use The Marty Stuart Show, any and all episodes, as your guide, and play along with Marty and the Superlatives, Leroy Troy, Connie Smith, and each episode's special guest. Usually each show stays mostly in one key, and usually it's one of the cowboy keys, though sometimes F or Bb sneaks in. Don't worry that you're not as good as the Superlatives, neither is anyone else; you can still play along with them.

3) Chase down more music from the guests, and listen to what Marty says about artists and writers, especially those from the past. Marty Stuart is all about the roots of country music.

4) If you're watching the MSS on RFD TV, stay around for the Porter Wagoner Show, where you can do much the same thing.

5) You're welcome!

bluescaster72

Tele-Holic
If you want to learn country don't start with what is concidered country today it ain't even close ! As others said learn to play the melody of the song in major scales . I came from the blues background and though I was raised on traditional country never tried to really play it and that is where you have to start . Melody is everything. And then learning how to pre-bend notes and releasing them after you pick . Pedal steel licks. Roy Nichols is my favorite traditional country player . Don Rich is another . Learning to play through a clean amp is another thing and using lots of reverb and relying more on technique than pedals for your sound. Lot of older country programs on RFD you can learn stuff from like the Porter Wagoneer show, Marty Stuart is great ! There is also the Presley show . They play a lot of the traditional stuff. I would say Merle Haggard is one of my favorites as he really has a lot of interesting guitar stuff especially his dual harmony stuff with Roy Nichols in fact I would say check out Austin City limits from 1978 on you tube . Full concert . You'll see Roy Nichols in action as well as he and Merle interacting on guitar.