Help me choose

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Tom in Georgia, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Tom in Georgia

Tom in Georgia TDPRI Member

Hi Guys;
    I'm slowly returning to playing after many, many years and loving it so far. I purchased a MIM Strat HSS a few months ago and it's a great guitar, but now I'm starting to think about an inexpensive "beater" that I can set up and dedicate to playing with a slide, and experiment with some non-standard tuning. Possibly a Squier Tele or an Epiphine LP. What would you choose - and why?
    Thanks and Kindest Regards - Tom

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Well, since you've framed it that way... 8^)

I would haunt stores and look for deals on used six and even eight string lap steels, which can sometimes be had for a song.

Why? Because I like playing lap steel and hearing lap steel much more than bottleneck guitar. I play a six string in open D and an eight string in C6.

I don't specifically set up any of my non-lap electric guitars for slide, with regard to raising the action or using open tunings (other than dropped D or double-dropped D occasionally); I do however use slide as an additional color with standard electrics with low/standard action; I use a small glass Dunlop 212 slide on the pinky; it has a thinner wall which compromises somewhat as to sustain, but is far more forgiving with regard to low action.

I am usually in the minority with these discussions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.