1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me choose...Or add to my dillema

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PapaBeef, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Admin

Admin Tele-Holic

Re: Tech 21 & reliability

Just FWIW: a few years ago I did some gigs on bass with a female R&B singer here in D.C. We had several rehearsals before the first gig, and I was impressed with the sounds her guitar player was getting from his Tech 21 at low volume.

Well, we go to play the first gig, and when he turns on his amp – nothing. Zilch, zip, nada. And of course, being solid state, there was no troubleshooting possible, other than to check the fuse (which was fine). He wound up playing through the PA all night, and sounded like doo-doo ca-ca. The next night I brought him one of my tube amps to play through. He had so much fun that as soon as he got the Tech 21 repaired, he sold it and went tube amp hunting.

If I had to make a recommendation? In terms of bang for the buck, it's really hard to beat a used Peavey Classic 30 (or Delta Blues): $250~$300, easy to find, and good enough to play gigs with, let alone home jams. Then if you're going to be doing low-level recording, take the money you save and get some sort of multi-FX unit or amp modeler. Just my $.02. Best of luck, CS :)

P.S. If you want something smaller, I noticed that our own Paul "Spyder" Bolles is currently selling a Crate V1512 for $200. Believe me, if I didn't already own one, I would've jumped on that myself...

2. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

You guys have me just about sold

And I haven't even played one of those Classic 30's yet.

I have a Digitech Genesis 1 that I used for a while through the FX loop on my Crate.
    It was great at first. But it seemed to deteriorate over time.
    I can't imagine why I thought it would be a good idea to have something like that built into an amp!
    But it's not really the same thing, so that could explain it.

Still, I really don't need 11 or more different sounds if I can get a couple of really nice ones.
    I tend to go in way too many directions at once , anyway.

Those Peaveys seem to be what I was hoping the Carvin would be. And I don't have to buy one before I can try it.

Thanks again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.