1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me choose...Or add to my dillema

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PapaBeef, Apr 21, 2004.

1. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

I'm looking for an amp that'll most likely be used mostly in my home for jamming and recording.
    I'm sure my daughter'll end up using it alot too.
    I was considering a Hot Rod Deluxe or DeVille, or one of the Carvin Vintage series.
    But I'm also drawn a bit toward the Tech 21 Trademark 60 because of it's flexability and the notion that it'll always work when I turn it on, unlike some other amps I have.
    It will be used for a variety of music styles and guitars.
    My main question is reliability.
    The Fenders and Tech 21's are at my local GC, so I can play them side by side, before I make a choice.
    But the Carvins are not as accessable. So If anyone has any experience with them, I'd appreciate your feedback before ordering one from the other side of the world.

2. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Go CHEAP....

This is my standard thing that I preach and it's never let
    me down: Get an older Peavey Classic 2X12 from the late 1970's or early 1980's (they're cheap so don't go over $250-that should get you a "mint-like new one")
    and add a Tech 21 GT-2 Pedal....I'd rather have this setup than a Bluesbreaker....how "CHEAP" can sound so
    heavenly is beyond me...it also does a great imitation of
    a "Model 1987" 50 Watt. And it's LOUD, I would not do this but I'm confident it could break windows if I asked it to. For those of you out there who need a point of reference; a Tweed Champ with 14 times the power...
    and because of the GT-2 the "low end" can be as obnoxious as you want it to be.
    I'd like to find a trashed old Classic combo with head still
    intact and build it into a 1X15 with an EV-15L and a Tech
    21 Box....speaker would be the "expensive" component.

3. buglecorps

buglecorps Tele-Holic

Well...

all of those amps will blow you out of your house, (and into the next county :eek: ) they will sound MUCH louder in your home than at GC...even a 15 watt tuber will rattle the windows pretty good without master vol.

The Tech 10 is a pretty good home/recording amp..takes to both high end and low end recording gear pretty good, gets loud without being too much..If you need stage volume, you could get a T21 Power Engine for gigs.

Another stage worthy possibilty is the Vox Valvetronix it has variable wattage, and sounds pretty good lots of useful effects and models too..

For home use I find it hard to beat any of the numerous 1x8 15 watt ss amps that are available by the ton from just about anyone...try a bunch, esp if you haven't latley..

Of course there is always a Champ....

4. stantheman

Geez, I messed up but good.

Bugle's right, for some reason I've been thinking "Bar"
    all day (I just had minor sugery this morning).
    Yeah for at home a Tech 10 or a Champ, plenty loud enough. Man, I told the doctor I wanted "mild painkillers" he musta thought I was a Cape Buffalo.
    But I am having fun... ;)

5. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

What about Blues Jr. or Pro Jr.?

6. Doc

Doc Tele-Afflicted

Blues Jr, Line 6 (or other modeller like Vox), HRD all will do what you want. Recording and low volume the modellers will be a lot easier to work with and you will not need mics.

7. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

I'm certainly not opposed to volume...

I guess I'm lookin' for a multi purpose amp in a small package that'll record well and still have the stones to use for those backyard jams and such.
    The Line 6's seem a bit too complicated to me. But I did like some of the sounds I got from them once I played around with them a while.
    The Trademark 60 seemed like it had the flexability I want.And when my neighbor's voice cuts through the walls of my row house, I could crank it up loud enough to drop a little plaster on her head :twisted:
    The Hot Rods are nice, but less versatile. And the Carvins seem like they'd be nice (in a more Marshal soundin' way) but also not as versatile.
    Now enter the Peavy Vintage amps. I knew someone would mention those.
    I know someone who has one. But I never played with it.
    I was never a big Peavy fan. But Those do seem pretty cool, too. Guess I'll have to try them out too.

8. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Opinions...

Pro Jr. sounds way better to me than Blues Jr. Simpler circuit, cooler tone.
    Reverb schmeverb, go for the Pro over the Blues.

I had a Carvin Bel Air - but not for long. Anemic output for a 50(?) watt amp, uninspiring cleans, didn't really jive with pedals, dirt channel was *okay*. I'd pass.

All of the Peavey Classic series amps I've played were real cool for the bucks. I liked the Delta Blues w/ the 15" the best, quite tele-friendly. That might be a bit more than you need though. The Classic 30 is cool as well, but didn't quite hit me in the gut the way the Delta did.

Current reasonably priced Fender PCB amps are workhorses for scores of folks, & they can sound pretty nice with some tweaks... but honestly - right out of the box, as stock - I think the little 20 & 40 watt Traynors eat the comparably priced Fenders for lunch. Great sounding little amps, one of the best bargains out there in my opinion.

Also, I hear nice things about some of the little Crate, yes Crate, tube amps, but couldn't say myself.

9. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

Try one of the kits from www.ax84.com. There's an amp called the High Octane. It puts out about 8 watts, but can sound like a monster Marshall if you turn up the gain. You can build one yourself or Chris can put one together for you with different options. I'm personally looking to build the HO with the EL34 variation so I have a recording amp that I can turn up to 10 and not annoy the neighbors.

10. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

Re: Opinions...

You're not the first one to express a distaste for these Carvins.
    They just look like they'd have to sound great. But, unfortunately, they don't seem to be worth the trouble.

I have a Crate GT80 with a tube preamp section. It sounds nice when it works. But the volume drops in and out at will now, no matter which channel I'm using. And I never even abused it a little bit, which leads me to be a little wary about the quality of the Crates.

So, unless someone posts some rave reviews about the Carvins, I'll save my time and concentrate on the Peavys, Tech 21's, Fenders and Traynors.

Thanks.

11. stantheman

Beef,

before I have to take another painkiller...check out Peaveys' Studio Pro. We got one used from our friend
    Ed Byrne for 100 Bucks. It's one of our favorites, is
    Solid State and has all the "line out" stuff. Sounds like
    a "Princeton Tweed with Reverb" a very pleasant surprise, we originally bought it to be Jon's first Amp, and
    it became a favorite with everyone that comes by.
    I hate the "day after" surgery :evil: .

12. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I think the Blues Jr. is a good bet. It ain't my favorite sound in the world, but it ain't bad and it's got the stones to keep up with a band when you need it to. I was never a fan of the Pro Jr., but I really dug it when Vince Caster stuck it in a slapped-together cab with a 12" speaker and called it the Mo'Junior.

13. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a pretty hard core Peavey guy when it comes to amps (though I have a few others). I have a couple of suggestions.

Peavey's TransTube series solid state amps are really good sounding. Some even have built in effects (the EFX designation).

The Classic 30 and Delta Blues are basically the same amp except for speaker compliment and the DB has a tremolo.

If you run across a used Peavey Bravo, do not pass it up! Even though it looks like a solid state amp it is all tube and many stores price it like a solid state amp because the tubes don't show. It uses 3 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 EL84 power tubes (25 Watts). It has two channels with a boost on the second channel. This is my favorite amp of all time and I try out a bunch of amps in the course of my hobby/business. I can't rave enough about 'em. I have three.

14. buglecorps

buglecorps Tele-Holic

Well if you...

Want a little volume..most of the 1x10 25-30 watt jobs can really boogie..

You can find Fender Champion 30s for arond $125 (this is all used) great Fendery clean usable od..the MIM Frontman 25 is similar, in a diff box (metal head) and are arond 99! the new Frontman 25 is a pretty good amp NEW for $140..all of these can get LOUD...I had a MIM 25 and never had it past two in the house..sold it to a kid who gigs with it a couple of times a month..pretty heavy drummer too..

The old Marshall VS 30 from the Valvestate II line is a nice UK made amp you don't hear much about..eq on both channels..ok clean realy does the modern Marshall thing well..I have the 15 watt little bro,and use it alot. around $150 or so

The AVT 20 is a killer home amp..the emulated line out is incredible, does the full range of Marshall sounds, and has a clean that will turn Fender Freaks heads..replace the preamp tube with NOS and you have a sweet little rig..@200

PV has done a number of 1x10's with the "Envoy" name over the years..the curent production one is pretty nice..loud but not too loud..sweet verb from a good size tank,even the "Blue Marvel" speaker is suprisingly good. EQ on both (fs) channels.. fs 'verb and the mode switches give you a bit of tweaking..snappy leather handle too..I don't see many used.. @ 250 new..I scored one for $150 (with FS!) at a GOOBS, and fooishly sold it to a co worker for $200
    :cry:

15. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the feedback.

It looks like I've pretty much ruled out a Carvin, even though, as I said earlier, they just look like they'd have to sound good.
    Those PV's look kinda similar anyway. And if I like them half as much as everyone else seems to, I guess I can't go wrong there.
    I'm still considerin' the Trademark 60.
    I'll have to see if GC or Sam Ash has any of the PV's that I can play side by side with the 60.
    Then I'll see what I can get the best deal on.

16. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

Papa, you live in Joisy? Which part? If you're anywhere near Lyndhurst, try a place called Sweetest Sounds. They've got some of the Classic series amps there. And Joe and Mike are much nicer and more willing to help you than any sCam Cash employee. LOL If you do go, tell them Tom Scioscia (pronounced So-sha) sent you.

17. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

I'm down in Roebling...Burlington Co.
    That's a bit of a haul. But I have a pretty flexible schedule, so I'll try to take a ride up there next week.
    I really do hate buyin' from Sam.
    It doesn't seem fair that they make a commision when you have to use a gieger counter to find them after you decide what you want and all they do is write you up.
    Of course, there are exceptions...

18. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

I hear the Sam Ash down there is nicer... The one up here is VERY unprofessional. At least the guy with REALLY long hair plugs isn't there anymore... He was just downright mean.

That is quite a haul. Go to peavey.com and plug in your zip code. It should give you a list of stores in your area.

19. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

The one down here has a GC in the same shopping center. So they have to be on their best behavier to stay in buisness.
    They have 2 or 3 good guys there. But it's still usually a free for all when the store's not empty. And now they have most of the guitars locked up. I'll bet they close within a year.
    Anyway, I really miss Sunset Music. I used to go there all the time. They were the best people in the world to deal with.
    Steve used to take a $20. deposit from me and let me take guitars and amps home with me!
    That was back in the 70's, a much more trusting world back then I guess.
    I'll keep an eye out and find some of those Peaveys to try out, somewhere.
    If they're half as nice as everyone says they are, I'll probably have one before too long.
    Thanks again to everyone for all your feedback.

20. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

I can't comment on the '70s, since I was born in '79... But even I remember a much more trusting world not too long ago. The store I work at now has to keep all the amps unplugged from the wall because people walk off with the power cables!!! I mean, c'mon! That's also why Long & McQuade is no longer in the US. They lost their shirts on the Parsippany, NJ, store because they would let people walk out of the store and pay nothing for their gear, and actually expecting them to come back. That's why it sold that store to my company.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.