Help me choose my first guitar ...

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by sorslibertas, Mar 23, 2019.

1. sorslibertas

sorslibertas TDPRI Member

Hi!

My name is Annas, and I live in the UK. I recently decided that I want to learn to play the guitar, and have narrowed my choices to a Telecaster-type.

As I am prone to, I jumped the gun a bit, and bought an Orange Tiny Terror and a Marshall 1965a 4x10 cabinet, even though I am still sans guitar.

I listen to a wide variety of rock and metal, from AC/DC to ZZ Top, but I find bands like Clutch, Mastodon, Orange Goblin, and Corrosion of Conformity on my playlist on most days, so I was initially thinking of getting a guitar with dual humbuckers such as the LTD TE-200, Squire Jim Root, Squire John 5, or Squire Contemporary HH Telecaster. Having said that, I like the looks of the Squire Telecaster from the Bullet, Affinity, and Custom Vibe lines. My absolute maximum budget is £400.

From the options listed above, would any make a real difference on learning to play? Websites and friends tend to advise to go to a guitar shop and play, but as I only know the C chord, I'm not sure how relevant that would be to me.

Help!

Attached Files:

Fiesta Red and Stringbanger like this.
  2. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I would suggest starting out on an acoustic, but you probably want instant gratification and have your mind already made up.

Any of those guitars will work as you learn, but get a good tuner. Being in tune is very important IMHO for beginners.

I feel sorry for who has to hear you 'learning' on that rig.

Good luck, stick with it and have fun.

sorslibertas likes this.
  3. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

If you like the look of Tele, the tone of humbuckers, heavy tunes and want a good but not too expensive guitar, take a look at Schecter PT (other colors available):

Attached Files:

BCblues55, Fiesta Red and duzie like this.
  4. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum, Annas !!

5. svMike

svMike TDPRI Member

Welcome!
    By all means go to a shop and play that C chord! Try it on all the guitars you want, even some that you can't afford.
    In my opinion, the feel of the neck is more important than the tone, at this point.
    So try a few and get a feel for which neck feels right.

6. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

im gonna say get a squire standard tele. its a great guitar.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You'll need to figure out if you want a thick or a thin guitar neck. I was told to get a 'thin fast!' neck (mostly by shredders) and I found my hand cramps up going to 'the C chord' mentioned above -- much easier for me on a chunky neck. I also don't follow the shredding path and looking to get more out of string bending like BB King. Nearly all the Squier Strats are skinny, the Squier Tele models have no pattern of which has skinny or chunky and it doesn't follow pricing plus Fender/Squier do not indicate what is on the guitar forcing you to guess and test.

Note about Acoustic ... I was given an acoustic when I really wanted an electric and that guitar never got played. Eventually I bought an electric. I also found that: an electric is easier to play (lower string tension) and can be played unplugged or with headphones while the acoustic is loud all the time.

As for the guitar, when learning you want great fretwork, an overly buzzy guitar with high action will make you quit guitar. Usually that means over $1,000 new retail guitars ... however, if can find a good guitar tech (they usually don't hang around GC) a full fret level and pro setup will be $100 and that guitar will play as well as $2,000+ guitars. So find that guy first. Then find any used guitar you like the looks of, take it there, and you'll have a great player. Pushing the top of your budget less the fretwork: Used MIM Tele, Epiphone LP 100, Epiphone SG G400, MIM Strat, PRS SE, the Harley Benton models (there is a paisley one that's especially nice), and a lot more. I have even found used 'beater' guitars under $30-$50 that after the fretwork are great guitars. Many choices.

8. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Meister

Blackguard, butterschotch blond, ash Standard Tele with Tex-Mex pups

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

My stuff ranges from folk to screaming metal. Tele is a great all around guitar choice. You got a nice amp set up - good job. Bet it can bring the thunder. You need to pair it with a roadworthy guitar.

I've had a couple of Squiers. The lower models (Affinity, Standard, VM) have cheap parts throughout - electronics, tuners, and bridge are all junk and will end up giving you headaches before you swap them out altogether; on top of that your pickups will sound like mud 'cause they made'em for like a buck apiece. I've pretty much replaced everything on my VM bass except the body over the last 4 years. On a side note - now it is a really badass bass.

Get yourself a Squier Classic Vibe or a used Fender Mexican Standard Tele. Well-built, solid instruments. You'll have a gig-worthy set up right off the bat. Lots better than most of us started out with.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Fiesta Red and sorslibertas like this.
  10. sorslibertas

sorslibertas TDPRI Member

Harsh, but fair.

Larmo63 likes this.
  11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

12. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Hi and welcome! Lots of good learning advice to be had here. Good luck!

13. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

As previously mentioned, set aside a bit of cash for a fret level and setup, even if the guitar is brand new. This will make what ever guitar you buy so much more pleasurable to play. Go to a local reputable store and try loads of different types. Some will feel better in your hand. Even though you love the look of a guitar it is how it feels and plays that will really make you love it. Example. I bought my son a 60 pound Wesley guitar from eBay years ago to get him started. I did a complete setup on it before he even got his hands on it. To this day it is his favourite playing guitar and he has Gibson's and Fender's.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Welcome to the fold. Good start you got there - looking forward to what you pick out.

We may have a few opinions on that... :lol::lol::lol:

15. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome

16. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I'd recommend a CVC telecaster, it's an amazing starting point for a beginning guitarist.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

A Telecaster is a great starting point. If you find the right one, you'll probably keep it forever. About that £400, if you shop the used wall, your money will go farther. If you spend a little less, you'll have money left over for lessons. For a beginner, lessons can be the difference between sticking with it and quitting. You'll make much faster progress with lessons from a good instructor.

18. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Squier Standard Telecaster takes some beating in the value for money stakes.
    The older line of Vintage Modified included the Custom and the Deluxe. The Custom has a neck humbucker/bridge single coil and the deluxe is twin humbuckers. These have been superseded by Classic Vibe models bearing the same name. Also tough to better in the value for money stakes.
    All the Classic Vibe models are well made, great sounding, great playing guitars. Your £400 will buy you something you'll want to keep. I have two Classic Vibes, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend you try one, or take along someone to try for you.
    Used?, you could get a Mexican made Fender. The name on the headstock may be a matter of pride, and that's fine. Pride may make you stick at it, if so, more power to pride!.

A Telecaster is a fine guitar to learn on. Simple, sturdy, reliable, holds tune, sounds great. They come at every price point. The one for you is the one you find easiest to play that C. The neck shape matters. The brand/model?, perhaps less so.

Start looking for a teacher and/or look around Youtube for beginners courses. Justinguitar comes highly recommended. Nice bloke, knows his stuff and puts it across really well.

sorslibertas likes this.
  19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

A Tele will be easier on your fingers than an acoustic, and you are clearly not dying to sit there and fingerpick acoustic tunes and sing love songs so go for it.

Go for a Squier or if you're lucky you might find a used MIM (Made in Mexico) Tele in your budget level.

Don't take any Grief about buying an Orange amp, but maybe be aware of just how loud that thing will be with that giant Cab. There is a lot of "get off my lawn, get a Fender amp and play 100% clean all the time!" here.

Since you bought that amp you might as well learn some power chord riffs and stuff early on. The'll sound great on that setup and be easy to learn. Learn Iron Man and Smoke on the water and all that annoying stuff, it'll take about 2 seconds to get a killer tone for those songs out of that amp.

sorslibertas likes this.
  20. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Welcome aboard!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.