1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me choose Fender...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ecadad, Sep 8, 2020.

I should get...

1. Fender Deluxe Reverb

25 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Fender Princeton Reverb

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Fender Blues Jr

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Fender Blues Deluxe

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Something else

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. naomimoan

naomimoan TDPRI Member

Can't go wrong with a PRRI or DRRI, but since you're looking 85/15 home use I'd go princeton.
    If you need more headroom you can always go with a higher SPL speaker (I put an eminence 1058 in my princeton(65)... gives me a little more headroom, but still sounds "princetony".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Of those you listed, I voted HRD, but ONLY if it's made in USA; the Mexican ones have issues with the solder & PC boards they use...something about no regs on the kind of solder they use in Mexico & the tin content is such that solder joints in tube sockets fail, & you hafta re-solder them every few gigs. Also, circuit boards expand too fast & break the solder joints. They sound great, but are not reliable. Princeton doesn't have enough power for gigging.
    For amps not on your list, I would go with Peavey Classic 30...my gigging amp for the last couple years. Reliable, sounds great, and one can be had for around $300.

Ecadad likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

For recording—the Princeton

For performing—the Deluxe

If the places you perform have the ability to mic your amp, get the Princeton.

Ecadad likes this.
  4. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I've always considered a Peavey Classic 30 but I've never tried one in person... worth looking?

5. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

What's wrong with the Bassbreaker?....I was considering getting one!

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Nothing wrong with it at all! Just not my sort of thing... it's pretty dark sounding, and it goes from clean to dirty really quickly, not a lot of cleans.

7. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My thinking was that if you already had a small Vox amp, then Princeton might be too close to it, headroom-wise.

Tim S and Lance Morgan like this.
  8. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

By "small" I mean 4 watts... Princeton is 15 I think?

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If you are looking for cleans at low volume, ANY amp based on the AB763 preamp will do that. Many people hold the Twin
    Reverb to be the best of all for low volume cleans....IF the player knows how to set the amp up for that type of operation. Cleans at low volume is not an issue with any good amp of any power level, ime and imho. The problem with volume occurs when one wants to push an amp into its natural distortion zone without any help from pedals. That is when one starts looking for a low output amp and/or an attenuator. If Prin Rev and a Deluxe Reverb are biased similarly and running through the same speaker, most people would have a hard time discerning any difference at any volume level in a blind test. Fwiw, to reduce the volume of a 25 watt DR at max clean output by half, one would have to reduce the output power by a factor of 10...down to 2.5 watts. This is why a speaker can do more to change the volume of an amp than anything else except an attenuator. This is also why knowing what speakers are in amps during any comparison is important. That is to say that apples are not oranges.

Electric Warrior and Tim S like this.
  10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I had a Peavy Classic 50 back in the early 90s. It was okay for the time, until I was able to pick up vintage Dx rev. . That definitely was an upgrade. A good Deluxe rv. is a more versatile amplifier. Just my experience. Ymmv.

Ecadad likes this.
  11. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

Get a Blues Jr and use the Vox with it, A/B switch. Access to a wide range of sound, plus volume. Saves money too.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Blues/Hot Rod amps have preamps that are based on the 5F6A preamp....they are hot preamps compared to the AB763 preamp. When you want a certain clean, that tweed thing does not go there....unless you have a lot of power in the output. And then it is still a different kind of clean compared to the Ab763 BF/SF thing.
    That preamp is why Jim Marshall built the first reissue of a Fender 5F6A tweed Bassman.
    https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/files/Marshall/Marshall_jtm45_first.pdf

Electric Warrior and Tim S like this.
  13. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Deluxe Reverb

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.