Help me choose a small amp for home use!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chase TM, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

It goes beyond that, the floor to speaker height difference changes the bass response of the speaker.

3. engineer

engineer Tele-Meister

Fender Greta.

With or without a cab for volume.
    With it you can mix and match with tubes depending on preference.
    There is also an owners club right here on the forum.

4. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Another vote for the Yamaha THR.

Astonishing litte box..

5. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

Hello all

Thank you thank you for all the great recommendations! Late last night I noticed someone local had a Laney Cub10 for a quite attractive price so... It's now sitting in my bedroom!! Only played through it for maybe 30 minutes, but the clean sounds are great, break-up sounds decent, and takes my pedal board like a charm with a few minor setting tweaks.

The best part is, for the price of the amp I first bought (the bassbreaker 007) I can have The Laney, do a speaker/tube swap (after I get more comfy with it perhaps) or buy almost any reverb pedal on the market!

For those of you who suggested the Yamaha THR amps, I very likely may pick up one in the future (probably the black variant) for late night/headphone usage.

Thanks again for the great advice and all other suggestions will certainly be considered in future, as you can never have too many tube amps.

6. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

I have been through LOADS of little amps in a quest to find one that would work for me in my city condo.

I have had both a THR 10 and 10C and both are excellent (still have the 10C).

I recently added a late 1970s Silverface Vibro Champ, and my quest is now over. It is the only small tube amp I have found that sounds great at lower volumes for evening playing. I obviously can't crank the thing, but the taper is nice enough that I can still get the volume up around halfway before I have to worry about pissing people off. Anyway, I'm so glad I took the plunge because I almost gave up on the idea of owning a tube amp.

FWIW, I would love a Princeton Reverb, it was pretty much my dream amp, but tried one out and it was sadly too loud for me.

7. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Silverface Champ for the win.

DocJay likes this.
  8. watercaster

watercaster Tele-Meister

I have a Bugera V5, and a Tech 21 modified with a 10" speaker and bigger cab, a DRRI and Hot Rod Deluxe, but... I bought on a whim a Blackstar IDCore 10 for 75 bucks brand new and was enthralled. This little stereo amp gets some serious tones for its size at very low volume.

9. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

Fender Vibro Champ

DocJay likes this.
  10. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

All the way! I've had mine for 25 years now and just replaced the caps and speaker last year. It's been in a few apartments and has never offended anyone.

DocJay likes this.
  11. 43mmNut

43mmNut TDPRI Member

I just ordered a Yamaha THR10 for late night use.
    I'm looking forward to it's versatility at low volume. Went back and forth between a 1w Blackstar, HT1-R, Vox AC4 or the THR.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  12. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

You won't be disappointed. I've got a '68 CDR and a 5w Monoprice, both of which I love, but it's the THR10C that gets played 80% of the time. Great sound without any pedals and I don't wake the kids up after they've gone to bed.
    JP

13. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

VHT Special 6...... great for home volumes, takes pedals excellently, sounds great on its own when cranked as well. It's great with the pedals I use: Big Muff, DOD 250, Distortion Plus, Wah Wah, Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz, Joyo "analog" delay, Keeley moded DS-1.

14. 43mmNut

43mmNut TDPRI Member

Thanks! It sure does sound good on Youtube.
    I chuckled when I saw your post, I didn't know Monoprice sold amps - that's awesome.

15. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

The Monoprice 5w is a great little tube amp for $100'ish and can be played at very low volumes as well, but it's not as portable or versatile as the THR10. Sometimes I even take the THR in my camper van along with my Traveler mini Strat since it runs off batteries as well.
    JP

16. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Fender Champ hands down. For home a great 5 watt tube amp would be perfect. I've not tried the Bugera 5 watt but that could be an option. The Fender 600 is sweet too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.