Help Me Choose A New Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by colchar, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:38 PM.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I need some advice on Tele models. I have an amp that I am getting rid of and, instead of dealing with Kijiji and Craigslist, I plan to trade it in at my local store (I am a regular and they give me decent prices) and to put the money towards another guitar (I need one like I need a hole in the head!).

I already have a Gibson Songwriter acoustic, a Partscaster Tele that I love, an ES-335, an Explorer, and an SG set up for learning slide. So I am thinking Tele, but my requirements are specific and I haven't been keeping up on models.

I want a traditional three saddle bridge, 7.25" radius, small vintage sized frets, and a neck that isn't too thick (arthritis in hands and thick necks aggravate that). Normally I prefer rosewood fretboards but my Partscaster has rosewood so I am thinking of maple this time. Can anyone recommend a model that fits my criteria? If no maple boards Teles fit I would be willing to consider another rosewood board model (maybe one of the less expensive Page models?).

Thanks in advance.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  2. Pollo

Pollo NEW MEMBER!

If you hunt around you can find some stores are still carrying the discontinued Classic Series 50's Telecaster Lacquer - maple neck, 7.25 radius and a nitro finish.

colchar likes this.
  3. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

'52 AVRI !!!!

Piggy Stu and colchar like this.
  4. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

Maybe a Vintera 50’s or 60’s modified?

StevesBoogie, Piggy Stu and colchar like this.
  5. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Funnily enough, I discovered last night that the chain I deal with still has some and the only store in my province that has one is my local store!

I used to own one and stupidly sold it on. I will head into the store later today to check out the one they have.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  6. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I looked at the specs on those and noticed they had the 'U' profile, which I think will be too big for my hand.

7. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

The neck would be too big but I am going to ask at the store to see if there are any '58s still floating around the chain. I like the '64 as well, but already have a rosewood board Tele.

8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Don't be overly concerned with the 7.25 fretboard radius. As you stated above the '52 AVRI has a larger neck than you would be comfortable with and it has a 7.25 radius. The neck profile and fret type (narrow tall) on my 2017 American Professional Tele make it a very comfortable guitar to play. Try one.

9. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

You sound like you’re looking for a REAL 1970’s Telecaster.
    It checks off all the boxes. There are still real ones out there for under 2K.

Dan R likes this.
  10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You don't want a specific Tele, or any of the ones you've described, unless it's just going to be something you merely look at.

If you're a player, you want the one that you know is right as soon as you start playing it. And it will most likely not meet all the points on your list.

Don't limit yourself by what you think. Or some crazy checkpoint list. Open your mind and let the wonders of Tele-ness fall in there. Be open to everything you play and you will find the right one regardless of what any spec sheet says. If you're a player.

If you're a collector, buy the prettiest one you can find. Either way, it's all about being happy with your choice. Just presenting a different approach from a guy who once owned 39 guitars.

11. lgherb

lgherb TDPRI Member

If you can get to a store that has Telecasters with both "jumbo" (example: American Performer) and "medium jumbo" frets (Vinteras, etc.), it will allow you to judge what feels better in your hands. Pickups and electronics are all intechangeable parts.

As an older learner, figuring out what is easier on your fretting hand might be the better thing to nail down...you can then figure out what finish, pickups, and other things are more "you".

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Build another partscaster! I built one for around $230 and now it's my friend's regular gigging guitar.

13. RhythmFender

that’s a good price! I’d like to build one for that price! Lol

14. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

That thought has crossed my mind.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  15. RhythmFender

The 50’s modified has a soft V, and the 60’s modified has a more modern C neck, I believe. I think the radius is 9.5 on both though, so probably too big.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remember you talking about that guitar, and I think I also remember you buying a 50s Baja and not liking it.

Yeah, go used or NOS and find a 50s or 60s MIM Classic - also check out the '69 Classic Thinline.

colchar likes this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The 7.25in is pretty specific and will be a challenge to find.

Maple necks are awesome! but they tend to follow 50s chunky neck carves. Look for 60s specs for the skinny choices and try to find an all maple.

You may want to chase a Squier Strat as those have skinny carves, basically they carve off the back shoulders even though the width and depth are within 0.7mm of MIM/MIA. They do it by starting the carve at the front edges of the fretboard instead of starting to carve behind the fretboard glue line.

18. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I tried the '50s Classic Laquer today and the neck was too big for my hand. Damned arthritis!

I checked out the specs on the Vinterra models and think the 'U' profile on the '50s would be too much for my hand. They don't offer a 7.25" radius in the '60s models except for the one with the Bigsby. They offer that on Strats, but not Teles. But since I already have a '60s Tele with rosewood I can't really see myself buying another. The Page model is another story as I could justify it based on what it is.

There were no American Vintage models floating around the chain, either new or used.

19. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

41144 likes this.
  20. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

They might both be 'C' necks, but they definitely do not feel the same. Maybe the '50s has bigger shoulders?

Whatever the difference is, my hand hurt playing the one in the store but the Classic '60s neck on my Partscaster doesn't bother my hand.

Some comments on the differences can be found in this thread:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/classic-series-50s-neck-compared-to-classic-series-60s-necks.551150/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.