1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me choose a new gigging amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by El Marin, Jan 7, 2020.

Witch one would you choose?

1. Fender Bassbreaker 45

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Cornford Roadhouse 50

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. PRS Sonzera 50

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Marshall Origin 50

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

A Super Reverb... then I need a truck just for the amp :cry: You answer yourself... too large and heavy

I play dry, just use a TS808. Regarding Watts yu are right. I am passing the 20 and 30 because I may need some headroom and those don't have as much as I would like

I gigged it last month. I wanted to like it... Well, I am used to a Bassman I find the Blackstart lost in the mix. Not bad clean but the dirt was lost...

I need to try an Origin and test it against a Bassbreaker...

A friend of mine also offered me a 4x10" Blues Deville... I will give it a try next week

Dismalhead likes this.
  2. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Laney Lionhearst L20t...best amp I've ever owned...loud as f...weighs less than a Vox ac30....just mic it up for a stadium gig !

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I'd normally think that's really efficient, but [I hate to complicate this], I've experienced side by side comparisons that disproved the advertised efficiency, with the same amp. The higher rated speaker was actually softer...

Can a Princeton handle 4 ohm? Maybe look at a 4 ohm replacement speaker, or add an extension cab?

4. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I hope the efficiency should be as they say...And NO, my princeton is a clone, Output trannie is not multitappered, it only works at 8 Ohms... I may use a 2x12" cabinet with 16 Ohms speakers...

5. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

That seems to be most of these high gain amps being made today. All gain and highs and no meat in the mids.

6. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I voted for the Origin 50. I have the 20C and I'll agree with Milwmark's comments.

marc2211 and MilwMark like this.
  7. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

That's exactly how it feels

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

To me those sorts of modern amps are like junk food vs. whole food. They have 10x more sugar than you would ever want (Pour some sugar on me...in the name of tricking some bucks $ out of kids' pockets), but they are lacking the good nutritional meat. Then there are the modern mid-gain to cleaner amps that have a decent amount of nutritional meat, but they have no good flavor and sometimes just taste bad altogether, like a boiled chicken leg (I can't get no satisfaction...And I try, and I try, and I try and buy $ another amp).

9. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Well...

After testing some amps, Blackstar ( 20W and 40W) Fender (HRD, DRRI), Marshall (DSL, TSL, Origin), Orange (TH30, AD30) VOX (AC15) etc... and some out of budget (1969 SF Bassman, Black cat, Dr Z 38, ·/13 ) I have decided to go for the Marshall Origin 50

I will get it next week

I think will get the head and a Marshall 1922 (2x12) V30s cab... is for gigging, Marshall and Orange build the most sturdy cabinets ever...

BUT sometimes I think maybe I should choose the combo version... Hell, is nice

No, Will go for Cab and 2x12" If there were any 2x12 combo it would be hard to choose but I know I am keen on 2x12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

marc2211, MilwMark and stormsedge like this.
  10. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Seems a job for the Blackstar HT40 club MK2.

If i have to choose between your options, i guess i would move to FBass.

King regards!

El Marin likes this.
  11. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

A head and 212 cab is a very manageable setup for gigging. A 212 combo can be a beast to load and unload on a regular basis. And it's better to have more than enough volume and low end with a 212 cab than sometimes not enough with a 112 cab. If you want a little lower volume and low end in some situations, you could always disconnect one of the speakers in a 212 cab. I would think twice on the 1922 though. It's a pretty small cab and won't provide as much low end as a bigger cab. A 1936 or similar size cab isn't that big and heavy to load and unload. Also, V30's?

stormsedge likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I had a Twin Reverb and Know what a heavy 2x12 amp can be.

I tend to the 1922 due to the size. I don't need too much bass, I have a Bass player for that... (Excuses :oops:)

There is 1922 near me loaded with V30s and another with a mix of V30 and a C90. They are 50€ more expensive than the original speakers 1922. I am talking second hand

13. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

That definitely makes a difference. I just took a look at how much a new 1936 cab is going for these days. That is ludicrous for a 212 with 'ok' speakers... Not to mention, the cab is 'ok'. Nothing to get too excited about. $800? Really? Hell, I'd buy a Bugera cab for a couple of hundred in a pinch before buying that thing. They sound equally 'ok'.

14. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Low budget cab? Harly Benton has a 212 cab with Vintage 30's for just over $200 plus shipping/tax. Sell those speakers on ebay, add a bit to it, and buy some Webers, WGS, Eminence, or other Celestions to put in there.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    marc2211 likes this.
  15. Gris

Gris TDPRI Member

SFDR or SFVR

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I haven't found a single good demo of the Origin 50H/50C on youtube. Even some demos that compared it to a plexi and a clone made both amps sound bad.

17. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Great choice! I have an Origin 20H with a 2x12 with V30's. Fantastic setup which sounds lovely.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Mesa Boogie amps, esp. the Mark series are very mid focussed at very high gain. They sing through on leads in a band context but can sound too thick on their own.

19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Tomorrow I am testing a Marshall Origin Combo...

I do prefer a 2x12 but I can get the combo for 350€, second hand, two streets from my home. Head is 400€ and cab should go for 300€ more... I could get two combos if I want!!!

I will definitly give it a try

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    MilwMark likes this.
  20. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I think a 112 with a 112 extension could be a fine gigging setup, maybe preferable to a head and 212.

I would be curious to know what you think about it in person in comparison to any recorded demos that you have heard. Issues I have been hearing in recorded demos is graininess (lack of smoothness), recessed mids and treble cut (which is the opposite of old school Marshalls), and general lack of overall clarity. But as I said above, I think I haven't heard a good recorded demo of one of these amps yet, and I have listened to a bunch, equaling what used to be 4 or 5 pages of video listings on youtube, before the infinite scroll junk got implemented.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.