1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me choose a cheap, clean, gigging amp for Rockabillly

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by El Marin, Jan 31, 2021.

Witch one would you choose for clean rockabilly?

1. Fender Pro Junior

18 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Fender Blues Junior

31 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Fender Champion 100

29 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Pignose G40V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fender Vaporizer

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Fender Excelsior

22 vote(s)
    19.0%
  7. VOX AC10

13 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Find an old Music Man with Reverb. The 112RP is a nice inexpensive portable amp

doghouseman, goonie and Maguchi like this.
  2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Unfortunately MusicStore in Cologne don't sell them new any more but sometimes they show up 2nd hand;)
    The 5 Watt Fame (Joyo) JTA 05 Sweet Baby Fender Champ clone.

3. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Twin Tone Master?

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My grandma was a harp player, she sounded fantastic! Just can't remember the amp she used other than it was a Marshall with two cabinets, I'm thinking they were 4x12s. She really rocked a church! Her harp looked kinda like this one. s-l400.jpg

5. BobbyZ

I suppose I could give you a slightly more helpful answer for the harp player. But I'm not a harp player! Just an amp nerd.
    The players I've met, not that many mind you, seem to like little tube amps that breakup easily. Seems like vintage amps that were really low end cheap things for guitar, work well for harp. Couple that with an old bullet microphone that nobody would want for vocals today and a harp player is in heaven.
    Basically they seem to want a set up they can easily push into distortion by blowing or sucking harder. At least that's my take on it.
    How that translates into what you can find in Spain I have no idea.
    You know what? My thoughts on the matter aren't all that helpful. :)
    I'm gonna try Google, can't sleep anyway.

El Marin likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

7. Five Aces

Five Aces Tele-Meister

I have the Frontman 212R's little brother.... the 65R (65W 1x12) It's got all the Fender sound of the 212R but half the size and a little less weight! It's still way loud! Fender, for some reason, only made the 65R for a few years, but you still can find them occasionally on CL for under $100.

El Marin likes this.
  8. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Your band has a harp player? May God have mercy on your soul.

9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I thought that harp players loved small tweed amps like a tweed Champ. They like the grit it adds to their sound

BobbyZ, goonie and El Marin like this.
  10. sid9170

sid9170 TDPRI Member

I'll vote for the Nextone also. I have the 40 watt stage, and it has the best Clean, clean-ish and light OD tones I have ever heard from a solid state amp. I put a Boss GT-1 in front of it, and Everything (for me) is covered. I just gigged with it once before the plague hit, and by itself didnt have quite enough juice for the small (but loud) country bar gig. I am looking forwards to trying either a speaker swap, or extension cab, but I'm thinking the Artist or new Special would be a better choice for full band gigs. I was stoked by the thought of such a small light weight amp, and I believed the Music Radar review that said the 40 watt Stage could hang with a Fender Hot Rod. it can NOT!! I still may get the larger Nextone when gigs ramp up.

The tube simulations are subtle with factory settings, but can be made to sound quite distinct with software. You can get 8 different sound in one custom patch! I think "Fuzz Guy" on The Gear Page has a file for that. That being said, I really like just using the standard Factory clean setting. I have had some cutting out of sound when hitting footswitch buttons. I have to unplug the switch to get the sound back on!

Boss has sure come up with a lot of cool stuff!

El Marin and waynereed like this.
  11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The back of the chassis (shown in that very link) clearly says the following:

DESIGNED AND
    ENGINEERED IN USA

MADE IN CHINA
    ...Not that it really matters to me. It looks like they're only making the Budda amps in USA. Actually, even that may have changed, because it looks like the Decatur and Meridian MO facilities closed in early 2020.

12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

Amped Reverberocket.

13. Tele T

Tele T TDPRI Member

Roland 80XL is ALL you need. BABALU!!!!:)

El Marin likes this.
  14. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

The only amp on your list that I know is the Blues Junior, and that would not be my choice for clean tones. It's fine with some grit, but the boxiness of the clean tone is unpleasant, and gets worse with volume.

It's not on your list, but if you don't mind solid state/modeling, look at some used Roland stuff. I use a Cube 60 with a 12" extension speaker with my band, and it will get me as loud and clean as I would ever want. Plus, they are cheap and built to last.

El Marin likes this.
  15. Hamstein

Hamstein TDPRI Member

Hope you get on well with the Frontman, a friend of mine uses the old solid state HH Musician 100 watt amps for loud rockabilly cleaner than clean tone.
    I think I have headed towards a more psychobilly style so I like to have a bit of fur on my sound, my little tweed version blues junior does well for practices and the mesa lonestar special comes out for serious work.

I also have been an avid hater of the peavey bandit since it's invention, but a couple of years ago I couldnt take my own amps to play with a band due to transport issues ( had to take guitar on the back of my motorbike!) and was forced to use one to play through, - it wasn't as painful an experience as I was expecting! Mind you I was playing clean, the drive on it was still as dreadful as I remembered. Still wouldnt touch one with a bargepole given the choice!

As for Harmonica amps, quieter is better! - I have had so much bad harmonica playing inflicted on me that I can only suggest you gum up all the holes on the thing and then tell the harmonica player to stuff it where the sun don't shine! ******* Gob Iron nonsense! (Disclaimer - some people may actually be able to make a nice sound with the Gob Iron, but they are few and far between!):)

El Marin likes this.
  16. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Many, many, many, many years ago I played in a band with a harp player and he used 2 methods:

1. Chromatic harp though a regular mic into PA. The goal was of course to just make it louder.
    2. Blues harps through a Green Bullet mic into an old Fender Vibrolux with a 12ay7 -- or maybe a 5751, don't really remember -- in v1 for a Little Walter Chicago Blues sound.

A guy named Randy Weinstein. Pretty well known in harp circles I believe.

El Marin likes this.
  17. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

If you are bouncing around rehearsal studios and gigs you really should put together a direct to PA setup. You'll always have your sound with you, your audience will hear you better, and your guitar will probably even sound better through professional powered speakers. A standalone amp is convenient for plugging into and playing at home but in a live setting it just doesn't make sense.

I have an AMT preamp and a few pedals in a little briefcase and it goes wherever my guitar goes, it weighs like 3kg. Before that I was bringing a Katana 100 to the gig and I was still using the line out to the PA, because guitar speaker cabinets are crude and blast most of your sound to the nearest table, whereas our two powered speakers on their stands cast the whole mix around the room.

El Marin likes this.
  18. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Good choice. You’ll enjoy it even more by putting a volume box in the effects loop. Allows you to raise the preamp knobs to get the sounds that preamp is capable of, and control the volume by throttling the preamp signal to the (very clean) power amp.

El Marin likes this.
  19. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

20. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I use the DI of my Marshall Origin 50 when possible. One of the best DI I have ever heard, really

Thing is that most of the time I just plug on "what is there".

As Keith Richards said: "Just let me 5 minutes and I will get the same sound out of that damn thing"

breadfreak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.