1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me choose a cheap, clean, gigging amp for Rockabillly

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by El Marin, Jan 31, 2021.

Witch one would you choose for clean rockabilly?

1. Fender Pro Junior

18 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Fender Blues Junior

31 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Fender Champion 100

29 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Pignose G40V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fender Vaporizer

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Fender Excelsior

22 vote(s)
    19.0%
  7. VOX AC10

13 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Not sure if Peavy amps are common where you live but a Peavy Bandit or similar Peavy is extremely loud and clean with a good reverb. If you’re trying to stay clean, you can save money by going solid state.

Do you have a speaker cab? If so, get a Vox MV50 Clean. Those are really loud through a 2x12.

2. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

If you like Marshall cleans you really should try a VOX.

The issue of you traveling on a motor bike to practice and gigs seems to me like you need a good modeler.

El Marin likes this.
  3. Schlumpfmeister

Schlumpfmeister TDPRI Member

I would always take a Peavey Studio Pro over the Bandit, and definitely Red Stripe gen. The Studio Pro is smaller but just as powerful, and can often be had for 50€ or so.

and before I say this, yes, do have experience with „real“ (aka pricey) amps, but the Studio Pro does the job.

Also an option, if it must be a tube amp: Traynor YCV 40/50 series, can be had for 200...300€, is plenty loud, kind of Fenderish clean, better crunch than the average Fender amp.

El Marin likes this.
  4. timbraun

timbraun TDPRI Member

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Yamaha SS G-100 or G-50 amps from the 80's.

They're not light as a 2x12 but they sound good clean and loud.

If you can find one check it out. Repairable, too.

Like this:

https://reverb.com/ca/p/yamaha-g100-112

El Marin likes this.
  5. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

That champion 100 seems to be a good thing. And cheap!

El Marin and radiocaster like this.
  6. FunkyWill

FunkyWill TDPRI Member

I have this very amp in surf green with the upgraded speaker. Great clean tone, and I play it with a cheap reverb pedal. It’s about 30 pounds, so not really light, but not heavy like a Twin Reverb.

El Marin and RoscoeElegante like this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Most of the amps listed in the first post are dirty amps and cannot compete with a 100W amp. The Champion 100 is probably the best from that list, although I'm really not familiar with it.

I would consider other ones like the Vox MV50 Clean, Orange Pedal Baby and maybe even that Foxgear 50W pedal amp.

El Marin likes this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

4AAF4C27-11E9-45AA-9D24-B50ED905E88F.jpeg

El Marin likes this.
  9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

If you are wondering about the excelsior watch this from 2.00 minutes

RoscoeElegante and El Marin like this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Twin Reverb no good? You want good tube cleans? Can't do better, IMO.

El Marin likes this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree that most of the amps you list make little sense for your stated purpose.

15w tube amps with small cabs and some with 10” speakers? No.

I’ll second the Roland Jazz Chorus. They are freaking amazing. Loud. Light. Clean if you want. Great onboard reverb. Great dirt if you want. Key is the mids knob. Turn it up to at least 2 o’clock for guitar.

You can find them on our side of the pond ~$400 in great shape. Not sure if that’s in the budget.

Otherwise, used Hot Rod Deluxe IV. 40lb for 40 loud tube watts. Fender cleans with a Mid knob and great dirt. Hoped reverb. Sounds amazing. Those might be a little more? ~$500. They blow any Pro Jr, Blues JR, or DR out of the water for my money.

gimmeatele and El Marin like this.
  12. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I was pretty amazed when someone brought this Fame GX-60 amp to a gig at our place.
    It looked like a Fender and sounded like one but... it's just a cheap transistor amp. Wow! :cool:

https://www.musicstore.de/en_DE/EUR/Fame-GX-60-Combo-Amplifier/art-GIT0046278-000

Also a cool amp from MusicStore a Fame Memphis Blues amp, but with tubes.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_DE/EUR/Fame-Memphis-Blues-Combo/art-GIT0047061-000

I have one, it sounds great. A 5e3 kind of build but it stays clean and loves pedals.

both quite affordable

El Marin likes this.
  13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Peavey Bandit. Any variety, they are all great sounding, impossible to kill, loud and clean. Plus, they have the cool aluminum trim strips that look like old Nashville Now! video clips...

14. NiteGoat

NiteGoat TDPRI Member

My choice is not on your list, and I might get some crap for my suggestion. But I would recommend a Fender Princeton 65 model PR403. It is a solid state 65w amp, which was made in Mexico, from 1993 until around 1999. I had one, and the clean channel is very loud, and one of the best sounding clean channels on any amp I have ever heard. It also has a genuine Fender spring reverb tank. It’s so loud, that I ended up selling it after I purchased my Orange TH30 head and Katana-50. They go for about $100.

El Marin likes this.
  15. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Might I suggest seeking out a Fender Stage 112 SE. It has gobs of headroom, a relatively impressive OD, is loud as hell, and pedal friendly. For a SS it has that tube-like compression (to my ears) that sold me on it from the start. I really could never understand why they were so underrated. You could probably pick one up for $200. Check it out.
    Btw, I own a Blues Jr. and find the headroom way to limiting for rockabilly.

El Marin likes this.
  16. wrangle

wrangle NEW MEMBER!

One idea that I haven't seen mentioned yet is getting a bass amp. A number of companies like Fender and Ashdown are making very vintage-looking, relatively lightweight bass combos in 100+ watts. You could always use an EQ pedal if the onboard EQ isn't adequate.

I can't say I've tried this myself yet, but I'm strongly considering picking up one of the smaller combos for at-home practice & recording.

El Marin likes this.
  17. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed and 1x12 cab with a 102 db sensitive speaker, Cannabis Rex.

I have this set up and before the Pandemic, played along with a HRD and Fender PA 100W head and was articulate in the mix with a drummer and bass. It has a high headroom.

This is a rehearsal space photo:

20200814_125428.jpg

18. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

If you're going to even consider a Katana, I suggest looking at the Boss Nextone series instead. I was strongly considering buying a Nextone Special, but didn't want to drop a $grand$ on an amp unless I really knew I'd like it. (Yeah, I've been an all tubes guy forever! Still own Fender tube amps and a VOX AC30CC2. But at 72, the weight is getting rough for me!

The Specials are a new model. No one around here has one on the floor. And I'm not crazy about going out and about right now! So I did a search for Nextones, and actually found one just traded in. It's a Stage, 40wt, 1x12. And has the main features I was looking for in the Special. Mainly the circuitry that allows you to select 4 types of tube simulation. 6L6(Twin), 6V6 (Vibrolux), EL34 (Marshall) and EL84 (VOX).

I got it for just over $200! LOVE IT! And did another search, and found another one! Just bought it. So small gigs, I'm good. Larger gigs I can run both of them in tandem or stereo. Large gigs, I ran my 1st one into my MojoTone Lite with 4 Celestion 12" Neodymium speakers. AMAZING! I literally love the sound! And the cab is only 40 pounds with 4 12's! I just got the 2nd one. Ran it into my custom built 2x10 closed back cab. BINGO! Big stages . . . Bring it! That's 80wts through 4 12's and 2 10's. Plus there's a line out if I want to run it to the front of house, which I don't. But if I need to I can.

NOTE: If I get a gig that requires that level of sound, I'll use my VOX AC30CC2. 71.5 pounds of tube heaven!

El Marin likes this.
  19. Dalan

Dalan TDPRI Member

New silver face vibrolux

El Marin likes this.
  20. Socalsupermoto

Socalsupermoto TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

all I can think about is any of the peavey classic series. peavey classic 50 would be killer and like $350

timbraun and El Marin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.